Catalina Capri 22 bridge clearance

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
I have a standard rig. I believe the mast height is 26 ft. but not sure. Don't know what clearance height to take into consideration. The measurement of course should be taken from the water line but not sure of the exact calculation. Please help. Many Thanks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Measure from waterline to deck. Then stand on deck at first measurement, and measure to boom. Add to get waterline to boom. Then add th "p" which is 26 and add another foot or so to cover masthead. My guess is around 33 ft.
If you think it's gonna be too close, swing the boom out with something heavy attached (like a crewmember) to heel the boat over for a few more feet of clearance.
Practice this before you try it for real.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Juradog, the link http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=166 reports your 26 ft length of the mast to deck. As @Joe explains you measure with a tape the height from water to deck. You might have an antenna or something on top of your mast... Usually 2-3 feet long. The 33 ft height sound about right for a standard mast. When in doubt add 2 feet and avoid bridges at high tide that don't give you at least 35 feet. Note at low tide there is more space then the vertical clearance printed on a chart. A chart of the area with the bridge details is your friend.
As Joe indicated you can try and cheat. Here is a sailor who was clever and effective.
and another that made a mistake....
When the bridge is coming down, speeding up likely will not help.