Catalina 445 vs. Jeanneau 44DS

SeanG

May 10, 2013
Catalina C445 Norfolk
My wife and I are looking to purchase a boat for retirement cruising (US East Coast Maine to Florida, Bahamas, and Caribbean). After some research, attending the East Coast Sailboat Show, and my experience (Navy 44 yawls and MK I sloops, C310, Sabre 38, and Bavaria 35) we find that we prefer the C445. A friend recently defined the C445 as an “entry-level boat” (also Hunters and Pearsons) compared to the Jeanneau 44DS. After a detailed comparison, we still believe the C445 comes out ahead of the Jeanneau. Other than the “Ford dealership talking bad about a Chevy” type thing, any other words of wisdom on this? Many thanks.

Apr 21, 2011
Jeanneau 45DS Sag Harbor, NY
We did the comparison between the C445 and the Jeanneau 45DS three or four years ago (before the 44DS was introduced). Our previous boat was a Catalina 320 and we had great luck with it. We chose the Jeanneau based on our intended use. The Jeanneau has a much larger cockpit and that was important to us. Second, the two dissimilar aft cabins of the C445 were a potential issue for our two children (one boy and one girl) whereby one gets a much better cabin than the other. Lastly, we found the Jeanneau to be brighter inside.

There were a handful of items that we thought were better in the C445, including interior finishes and woodwork, the better layout of the heads (including a separate shower stall, which is important for long-term cruising), and more flexibility with the salon table and banquette.

Jeanneaus are believed to sail slightly better than Catalinas, although the leaner C445 design may mitigate this historical difference. The deck maintenance with the C445 will be easier given the lack of teak wood for floors, toe rails and rub rails. The glass work and hull construction seemed comparable.

Each boat has their respective pros and cons. I remember that the prices were within 5% or so of each other which tells me that the industry and the market considers these comparable boats. We are very happy with our Jeanneau, although I would probably be saying the same if we had gone with the C445.

SeanG

May 10, 2013
Catalina C445 Norfolk
planelucky2,

Thank you for your very thoughtful and well reasoned reply. From reading your comments it was my sense that you approached your analysis very similar to how I attempted too, also. Your reply helped me confirm the value of my comparison. Underway time on both will be the next step.

Apr 14, 2013
Jeanneau 44DS Marina Del Rey
Our new 44DS does not have a teak cockpit floor and the only real on deck is are a varnished bit around the companionway, the cockpit seats, and the cockpit table. Toe rails are synthetic, which is just fine with me. Both heads have glass partitions that fold out nicely to form shower stalls. We are very pleased with DS.

May 13, 2013
Beneteau Sense 50 San diego
Both great choices

I had a Catalina 42 and now a Jeanneau 42ds. Both great boats. No problems with either other than what would be expected. Casual racing with both at same rating and very close on speed. Both use about same third party hardware. You can't go wrong with either. Choose first based on looks. No one likes an ugly boat for long. I love the Deck Salon; some hate it. Next the layout. I have an aft master and it is the coolest thing I've ever had on a boat.
And perhaps the most important - go with a dealer that will make your life easy. Both dealers in the old days in San Diego were great (they were the same actually). That may no longer the case so get references.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Sean, we're on our second Catalina and I will say they are very customer focused. I've been very impressed with their customer service well past the point where it's a new boat.

I can't speak to the service on the Jeanneau as we haven't owned one, though others here can answer that question.

Best of luck with whichever model you pick. My guess is you'll be happy either way.

May 18, 2011
Catalina 445 Hudson River
My wife and I are looking to purchase a boat for retirement cruising (US East Coast Maine to Florida, Bahamas, and Caribbean). After some research, attending the East Coast Sailboat Show, and my experience (Navy 44 yawls and MK I sloops, C310, Sabre 38, and Bavaria 35) we find that we prefer the C445. A friend recently defined the C445 as an “entry-level boat” (also Hunters and Pearsons) compared to the Jeanneau 44DS. After a detailed comparison, we still believe the C445 comes out ahead of the Jeanneau. Other than the “Ford dealership talking bad about a Chevy” type thing, any other words of wisdom on this? Many thanks.
We've had the Catalina 445 for two seasons now and have been very happy with it. It sails great (is fast in all wind conditions) and is built very strong by design and can take a pounding. We've been though two hurricanes already up here in NorthEast and the boat took it like a champ. We're fully outfitted with 6.5kw Genset, AC, extra diesel tank, lots of nav electronics above and below, folding prop, 660A-hr AGMs, 2kw inverter/100A charger, hard dodger with 300W of solar mounted on top, and asymmetric spinnaker and Code-0 sail for light winds. Our intention is to sail to VI at some point but for now are just gaining experience coastal sailing.

The one thing that I can say about Catalina is a lot of thought has gone in the "details" of design by their lead designer Gerry Douglas, the company is very responsive to customer suggestions and seems to incorporate them into future versions. They will also customize the boat for your needs.

I love the warm look of teak inside the boat and low maintenance outside the boat and Catalina had the right balance. I did tons of research on the strength of construction and design features and reason I went with Catalina. One really nice feature is a flexible port stern cabin which can sleep 3 or be used for gear for longer trips. This is really important when going on long trips especially since the other fore and aft cabin sleeps 4 and the saloon can sleep another 3. I'd rather have the flexible work/gear space.

Let me know if you have any questions on any particular aspect. My previous boat was a Pearson 33.

(mast height around 63'6")

Jun 4, 2012
Catalina 445 BRISBANE
Hi,
we also tossed up between the jeanneau and the 445 and finally went with the catalina. Our main reasons being.
1. We cruise with my wife and myself and from time to time have another couple join us. This being the case I liked the universal cabin as you need some where to store fenders, sails, cock pit Cochins, fishing rods, boarding ladder, washing machine and heaps of other junk
2. Winches on the jeanneau are to small and slow.
3. The interior does not look like it comes from Ikea, I like the teak.
4. Catalina use fittings the can be purchased from you local boating shop when needing repaired.
5. The big one is that Catalina use lead keels. Talk to any body with a cast iron keel and see what they think of them.

Finally we were parked beside a 44DS in the marina last weekend and the Catalina with its lower profile looked heaps better. The 44DS looked like a Hump back whale especially with a doger fitted. You could hear the remarks as people passed by.

Another thing to be carefull of with stern cabins is the noise of water slapping under the transom. Beth boats have similar transoms, at least with the Catalina you don't notice it from the front cabin.

At the end of the day they are both great boats and it as a matter of working out what you need in a boat and pick the one that most suits your needs.

dcoe

Aug 4, 2012
shopping for Catalina 445 San Diego
445 questions

We've had the Catalina 445 for two seasons now and have been very happy with it. It sails great (is fast in all wind conditions) and is built very strong by design and can take a pounding. We've been though two hurricanes already up here in NorthEast and the boat took it like a champ. We're fully outfitted with 6.5kw Genset, AC, extra diesel tank, lots of nav electronics above and below, folding prop, 660A-hr AGMs, 2kw inverter/100A charger, hard dodger with 300W of solar mounted on top, and asymmetric spinnaker and Code-0 sail for light winds. Our intention is to sail to VI at some point but for now are just gaining experience coastal sailing.

The one thing that I can say about Catalina is a lot of thought has gone in the "details" of design by their lead designer Gerry Douglas, the company is very responsive to customer suggestions and seems to incorporate them into future versions. They will also customize the boat for your needs.

I love the warm look of teak inside the boat and low maintenance outside the boat and Catalina had the right balance. I did tons of research on the strength of construction and design features and reason I went with Catalina. One really nice feature is a flexible port stern cabin which can sleep 3 or be used for gear for longer trips. This is really important when going on long trips especially since the other fore and aft cabin sleeps 4 and the saloon can sleep another 3. I'd rather have the flexible work/gear space.

Let me know if you have any questions on any particular aspect. My previous boat was a Pearson 33.

(mast height around 63'6")
Hello. I purchased a 2010 Catalina 445 last week. Am interested in putting a solar array on the hard dodger. Would appreciate hearing about your experience with that.
Doug
San Diego

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
I am prejudice on this one since I bought a custom Catalina 445. I tore both of these boats apart before I bought my 2014 445. I went to the factories. Hands down the Catalina 445 is a far superior built boat and engineered. For one the hull liner is NOT the support grid. The Catalina is a 5 part hull assembly vs 3 on the Jeanneau. There is a real support grid in place. The bulk heads are tabbed and fiberglassed in. 6 top hatches and 7 side hatches for great ventilation. Important when cruising in the tropics. Aluminum toe rail and taller lifelines, top draw sailing hardware. Real wood veneer vs plastic/end cut wood glued on interior. The list goes on and on. Need to look more than skin deep in comparing these models. Rudder construction, fuel tanks, water tanks placements/construction/gallons. Backing plates on all cleats and support hardware, Jeanneau has none. Any questions email me.

PS. There is a great 2013 model for sale at Dunbar Sales in GA that is fully loaded with every options that I have personally seen that can be had for a song. Tell Barney I sent you.

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
Dont forget about the 445's 65' mast height....regarding the ICW.
This is true. The actual mast height is 63.5 but when one puts on all the equipment on the top of the mast, I push 65'.8". I just have to be careful when going under the bridges.

SeanG

May 10, 2013
Catalina C445 Norfolk
Outboard Motor Lift

Specifically for the Catalina 445, any advice on types of lifts or the method to move an outboard motor from the motor mount on the stern rail to a dinghy. Thanks.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Specifically for the Catalina 445, any advice on types of lifts or the method to move an outboard motor from the motor mount on the stern rail to a dinghy. Thanks.
Take a look at Garhauer's motor lift. I have a 355 and plan on installing one. I helped a friend install one on his Tartan a couple of years ago and they work great...