Catalina 445 looking for other 445 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
We signed the contract for hull #90.. Delivery sometime in Aug. Let the shopping begin!

Jun 4, 2012
Catalina 445 BRISBANE
Hi MsEmee,
After sailing our 445 now for 18months, I can give you a couple of hints

1. Don't relocate the compass. Fit a single pod above each wheel and fit an i70 this will give you all the information you need including a compass. I would now put a double pod above the starboard wheel an fit the auto pilot as well. Mounting the auto pilot and instruments on the deck are to hard to see and operate.
2. Spend the extra money and fit an e7 MFD down stairs (not an i70) and an e125 at the wheel. Extend and widen the instrument panel at the nav station. My panel fit a Icon HF and speaker, VHF radio, music radio and raymarine E7.
3. Freezer the Catalina install is rubbish and does not get down to temp. I pulled it out and fitted an 12 volt eutectic system with water cooling which can be switched to air if required and auto switches to air if water fails. Now runs at -18c. Get Catalina to upgrade the quality of the insulation as the freezer now sweats behind the settee.

There are quite a number of other things. So if you have any other questions feel free to email me on debandjohn@ajcelectrical.com.au
If you want to phone me or Skype, send a email and I will give you my number.
There are another couple of things you should be aware of and it would probably be good to give me a call.
Regards
John

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
Hi MsEmee,
After sailing our 445 now for 18months, I can give you a couple of hints

1. Don't relocate the compass. Fit a single pod above each wheel and fit an i70 this will give you all the information you need including a compass. I would now put a double pod above the starboard wheel an fit the auto pilot as well. Mounting the auto pilot and instruments on the deck are to hard to see and operate.
2. Spend the extra money and fit an e7 MFD down stairs (not an i70) and an e125 at the wheel. Extend and widen the instrument panel at the nav station. My panel fit a Icon HF and speaker, VHF radio, music radio and raymarine E7.
3. Freezer the Catalina install is rubbish and does not get down to temp. I pulled it out and fitted an 12 volt eutectic system with water cooling which can be switched to air if required and auto switches to air if water fails. Now runs at -18c. Get Catalina to upgrade the quality of the insulation as the freezer now sweats behind the settee.

There are quite a number of other things. So if you have any other questions feel free to email me on debandjohn@ajcelectrical.com.au
If you want to phone me or Skype, send a email and I will give you my number.
There are another couple of things you should be aware of and it would probably be good to give me a call.
Regards
John
Hi John

I still haven't received any reply yet from you. Would love to have a chat when you are available.
Melissa

Feb 23, 2013
Catalina 445 Marina del Rey, CA
Just an update - I've had my C445 (#84) for a little over a month now and am very happy with it. The 18 x 15 Gori prop seems to have just about the right pitch.

Nov 19, 2012
catalina C-400 Lake Erie
Consider an in-boom furled mainsail. I have a Shaffer (other brands are available) on my C-400 which, combined with a power winch, is a pleasure to raise, reef, and lower from the cockpit. Ask Jerry Douglas what his opinions are. Caution! the boom angle and sail cut of the foot are critical, but once set works great.
Wally

Looks like I will be ordering either hull 89 or 90. Gerry wants me to take hull 89 but the delivery date is too soon. I have some customization that some might be interested in.
1. Move compass to helm stations. One at each helm station.
2. Move Chartplotter to top of cockpit table. Where the current chartplotter is Navpods makes a perfect Pod to place there for a "Watch Box" (flashlights, horn, etc. )
3. Convert one water tank to diesel fuel for extra 40 gallons. Gives me over 500 NM range.
4. Fresh water galley foot pump
5. Freezer to water cool vs air cool.
6. Dual Racor fuel filters
7. Salon settee cushions - different design for better comfort.
8. Nav station desk without the laptop drawer.
9. Extend the Nav station lower side cabinet. To put repeater I70 instrument..

Still in talks about getting a traditional mast vs roller furling. Would love to hear from you on how well you like the mainsail that comes with the boat.
This boat will be a full time cruising boat. We plan on cutting the docklines in March.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Email me at Merlna at Aol. dot com.

Oct 2, 2013
Catalina 445 Great Kills, S.I., N.Y.
Catalina 445

Hi John,
My family just purchased a Catalina 445, we sail out of Raritan Bay in New York. Was wondering how the the sails you described worked out for you. Is the 150% Genny a good size for the boat? We usually sail in 10-20 knots of wind. How about that main? We used to have a Catalina 380 and have always had boats with a traditional main. We like to participate in some racing, nothing too intense, we use PHRF handicaps, but would like to be some what competitive. We opted for the retractable bow sprit. Did you get an asymmetric? Aside from the rudder bering problem you described, were there any other significant issues to watch out for? Would appreciate any info you can offer!

Thanks,

Chris

Oct 14, 2013
Catalina 445 Racine, WI
FYI, Ms Emee has created a Catalina 445 group at Yahoo. Right now, I think she and I are the only members.

dcoe

Aug 4, 2012
shopping for Catalina 445 San Diego
shopping for used 445 in Southern Cal

I purchased a pre-owned 2010 Catalina 445 in May of 2011. I subsequently learned from Catalina's Gerry Douglas that my boat was the first 445 to trade on the used market. Recently, I noticed that used 445's were starting to become available. I did a lot of research and chartering before deciding on purchasing a Catalina 445. I am convinced I made the right choice, as I am very satisfied with the boat.

With respect to your question...you should know that the white hull does experience black streak staining where rain water crosses the deck and is washed out over the side through openings in the toe rail. Having the darker hull, would probably better hide streaking and result in less cleaner/wax detailing. I have always admired dark blue hulls and think they out-class the looks of all white vessels. My only concern is that I have read several online posts that contend that darker hulled boats promote warmer temperatures in the salon. This could be a legitimate issue in Florida and the tropics where the A/C systems already work overtime.

If you have any other 445 questions, I would be happy to share my experience thus far.

Frank
Frank,
Am now looking at used 445's on the West Coast. Found one that has water (during rain) dripping slowly from two of the little ceiling lights, one over the nav desk and one over the sink area. Any experience with that problem with your boat? Any other 445 problems you encountered that I should check when vetting used 445's. Thanks.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.