Catalina 445 looking for other 445 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2012
Catalina 445 BRISBANE
We have had our C445 No.66 now for 8 months and cruised or raced over 3000nm in that time. We are located in Brisbane Australia and are fortunate enough to be able to moor the boat on our own jetty behind our house. This makes it easy to race the boat on the Wednesday and Saturday races. When we ordered the boat we could get very little information on the boats performance apart from the normal Catalina blurb. Much to my surprise and a lot of other people and the club handicapper the boat has performed very will even with the worst mainsail I have ever seen and the standard 135% headsail (standard Catalina Doyle sails). We did opt for the fin keel as I knew I was still going to club race this boat and I wanted good windward pointing ability, plus the weight saving so I could still have air-conditioning, generator, decelinator and all my wife's junk. Hopefully we will improve the performance even further when my new Norths sails arrive this week. I have gone for a Carbon main with 4 full length and 3 short vertical battens and a 150% carbon headsail. I am having trouble coming to grips with a furling Main sail after normally sailing with high performance big roached fully battened mains. The only problem is I am heading overseas for 6 weeks next weekend so I will not know how the new sails go until I return.
Anyway after all that, can anybody provide any information as to whether there is a group providing for C445 owners. We currently have 2 fin keel 445s in Brisbane and a 3rd shoal draft 445 doing charter work on the Great Barrier Reef up north plus there are 2 or 3 more in the southern states. As I said l am going overseas at the end of the week so I will not be round to make any replies after next weekend, but I will reply when I get home on if I have a chance to get on the net while away.

Thank,
John

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Check the Catalina Mainsheet for member groups... you're in a different world with a 45 footer moored behind your house. I'm a tad envious. Congratulations.

dcoe

Aug 4, 2012
shopping for Catalina 445 San Diego
I'm new to this forum. Am shopping for a Cat 445. Have found two used 2010 boats. One has the hull painted dark blue from the waterline to the top edge where the hull meets the deck. The other is standard white hull above the waterline. Assuming that I can verify that the blue paint job is high quality (it was done locally), am I buying trouble with a painted hull? Don't want to incur problems with repainting, etc. over time. Which would be easier to keep shiny over time, the painted hull or the white fiberglass hull. Would appreciate any wisdom on this. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2011
Hunter 45DS or 445 St. Petersburg
dcoe said:
I'm new to this forum. Am shopping for a Cat 445. Have found two used 2010 boats. One has the hull painted dark blue from the waterline to the top edge where the hull meets the deck. The other is standard white hull above the waterline. Assuming that I can verify that the blue paint job is high quality (it was done locally), am I buying trouble with a painted hull? Don't want to incur problems with repainting, etc. over time. Which would be easier to keep shiny over time, the painted hull or the white fiberglass hull. Would appreciate any wisdom on this. Thanks.
I purchased a pre-owned 2010 Catalina 445 in May of 2011. I subsequently learned from Catalina's Gerry Douglas that my boat was the first 445 to trade on the used market. Recently, I noticed that used 445's were starting to become available. I did a lot of research and chartering before deciding on purchasing a Catalina 445. I am convinced I made the right choice, as I am very satisfied with the boat.

With respect to your question...you should know that the white hull does experience black streak staining where rain water crosses the deck and is washed out over the side through openings in the toe rail. Having the darker hull, would probably better hide streaking and result in less cleaner/wax detailing. I have always admired dark blue hulls and think they out-class the looks of all white vessels. My only concern is that I have read several online posts that contend that darker hulled boats promote warmer temperatures in the salon. This could be a legitimate issue in Florida and the tropics where the A/C systems already work overtime.

If you have any other 445 questions, I would be happy to share my experience thus far.

Frank

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When we ordered the boat we could get very little information on the boats performance apart from the normal Catalina blurb. ...
Anyway after all that, can anybody provide any information as to whether there is a group providing for C445 owners.
John,

Have you Googled Catalina 445?

The C355 group has opted for a Yahoo Group message board as compared to our Catalina C34 Association "complete" website (http://www.c34.org/), but we (the C34IA) do keep track of their Association membership.

Somewhere there MAY be a C445 group.

When you bought your boat, if you have an "Association," Catalina Yachts pays for your first year membership.

I just looked at at the "Fall 2012" Mainsheet magazine, and there is NO C445 Association.

Yet. :dance:

Want to start one? Usually it takes three boats to make a local Fleet and then an "Association."

I "contribute" to this and a few other boating boards.

Good luck. Great boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 445 Sturgeon Bay,
There is no Catalina 445 association and there should be. Catalina (to my knowledge) does not facilitate associations. 445 owners need to drive it. Catalina might give a list of the owners to help form the assn.

I own hull number 39 and sail the Great Lakes out of Sturgeon Bay, WI. It is a great boat and to date have had no mechanical issues.

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
I am seriously considering ordering a semi custom 445. I would love to hear from owners on what works and what doesn't. If my current boat sells this weekend I plan on going to the factory end of Oct to go over with Mr Douglas on all the mods I want and talk price. Email me at Melrna at AOL Com .

Apr 17, 2011
Hunter 45DS or 445 St. Petersburg
MsEmee said:
I am seriously considering ordering a semi custom 445. I would love to hear from owners on what works and what doesn't. If my current boat sells this weekend I plan on going to the factory end of Oct to go over with Mr Douglas on all the mods I want and talk price. Email me at Melrna at AOL Com .
For me to be of any help, you would need to be more specific. There are so many options and alternatives, I wouldn't know where to begin. What particular options are you considering?

Feb 26, 2004
1. There is no Catalina 445 association and there should be.

2. Catalina (to my knowledge) does not facilitate associations. 445 owners need to drive it. Catalina might give a list of the owners to help form the assn.

3. It is a great boat and to date have had no mechanical issues.
1. Gary, then do something about it. Why don't YOU start one? ALL of the Catalina Associations are because people did something about it instead of saying "there should be..."

2. Not so. You're simply wrong, major way wrong. They have ALWAYS supported owners groups. In fact, most associations wouldn't have started if it wasn't for the Catalina support from Frank & Gerry. You want a list? Just ask them

3. Yup, sounds great. Glad you're happy.

You know, I've spent the last 14 years with our C34, and 12 years before that with a C25 and four before that with a C22. I decided to contribute to our association instead of just"wishing" one would "happen" to my size boat.

and there should be

I sure hope you can help make that happen. I'd be glad to help you deal with things like a constitution and those kinda little details.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2013
Catalina 445 Marina del Rey, CA
Just ordered a C445, hull #84, scheduled to ship in May from the factory. I'm moving up from a Catalina 320 that I've owned since 2001. I'm in Marina del Rey, CA and would like to hear about any tips from current owners and if anyone hears about starting an owners association. I found the C320 association quite valuable.

Ray

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Go with the white! If you have ever been married to a high maintenance women you will know what I mean!!!

Feb 23, 2013
Catalina 445 Marina del Rey, CA
Has anyone with a Catalina 445 installed a folding prop on their boat? I'm considering getting a Gori 3-blade for mine. When I installed a Gori on my 320, they gave me the wrong pitch and had to swap it out for another one. I'd like to avoid this on my 445, so I'd be interested in hearing what size/pitch props have been installed on other 445's. Thanks.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I purchased a pre-owned 2010 Catalina 445 in May of 2011. I subsequently learned from Catalina's Gerry Douglas that my boat was the first 445 to trade on the used market. Recently, I noticed that used 445's were starting to become available. I did a lot of research and chartering before deciding on purchasing a Catalina 445. I am convinced I made the right choice, as I am very satisfied with the boat.

With respect to your question...you should know that the white hull does experience black streak staining where rain water crosses the deck and is washed out over the side through openings in the toe rail. Having the darker hull, would probably better hide streaking and result in less cleaner/wax detailing. I have always admired dark blue hulls and think they out-class the looks of all white vessels. My only concern is that I have read several online posts that contend that darker hulled boats promote warmer temperatures in the salon. This could be a legitimate issue in Florida and the tropics where the A/C systems already work overtime.

If you have any other 445 questions, I would be happy to share my experience thus far.

Frank
The streaking on the white gelcoat is just dirt from not keeping the deck clean and can be more easily cleaned and waxed. On the dark hulled boat the streaking will show up as a dirty white stain. By the time you clean and wax it out you will have removed the paint making it look worse!

May 18, 2011
Catalina 445 Hudson River
Gori folding prop on Catalina 445

Has anyone with a Catalina 445 installed a folding prop on their boat? I'm considering getting a Gori 3-blade for mine. When I installed a Gori on my 320, they gave me the wrong pitch and had to swap it out for another one. I'd like to avoid this on my 445, so I'd be interested in hearing what size/pitch props have been installed on other 445's. Thanks.
I've had a Gori 3 blade folding for the last two seasons on the Catalina 445 and it has worked fine. I did have some issues last season with it sticking in the overdrive position but this season it has not been a problem since I greased the gears during haulout. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jun 4, 2012
Catalina 445 BRISBANE
I fitted a Max prop which has not missed a beat. The boat has been going grate except for one problem which was on both the 445,s in Brisbane. The lower rudder bearing dropped out of both of the boats. Catalina had failed to tighten the 3 retaining bolts in the lower stern tube allowing the bearing to drop out allowing the rudder to slop round in the stern tube. As both boats have air conditioning and generators and the bolts could not be accessed from above. May be this is why Caterlina never tightened them in the first place. The only way to access the bolts was to cut 2 holes under the rear bed each side of the stern tube so you could put your hand through with a spanner. When fitting the new bearings it was found the bearings were out of alignment by 4mm. This meant that the 3 inch shaft was constantly trying to bend 3mm. As you can imagine it made the boat quite a pig to sail down wind. Now that it has all been repaired the boat is a pleasure to steer. So if you are experiencing slop in your rudder, check the lower bearing has not dropped.
Anyway have a g'day

Attachments

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
I am still a little surprised that no has stepped up to the task of starting an owners group. There are over 88 boats made, as much or more than the 440. In using any search engine there is little discussions going on by the 445 owners. Even here on sailboatowners site there is not a separate category for this model. Administrators if you are reading this could you please start one.

Feb 26, 2004
I am still a little surprised that no has stepped up to the task of starting an owners group. There are over 88 boats made, as much or more than the 440. In using any search engine there is little discussions going on by the 445 owners. Even here on sailboatowners site there is not a separate category for this model. Administrators if you are reading this could you please start one.
and

I heard Catalina is considering adding the 445 to the 400 group.

George

These International Associations are started by people, volunteers, who are interested. Catalina does not initiate these organizations. Only "YOU" can serve if you so choose to do so.

However, you should be aware that have joined the C400 IA already!!!

It's in the Spring 2013 Mainsheet magazine.

"The C400s welcomes the C455s"

Done. Very nice introduction by Commodore Frank Falcone.

Our C34 IA has had the C355 skippers as part of our group (until of if they decide to start their own association, we handle their memberships), as have the C36s had the C375s join them.

All one great big family. :):):)

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Looks like I will be ordering either hull 89 or 90. Gerry wants me to take hull 89 but the delivery date is too soon. I have some customization that some might be interested in.
1. Move compass to helm stations. One at each helm station.
2. Move Chartplotter to top of cockpit table. Where the current chartplotter is Navpods makes a perfect Pod to place there for a "Watch Box" (flashlights, horn, etc. )
3. Convert one water tank to diesel fuel for extra 40 gallons. Gives me over 500 NM range.
4. Fresh water galley foot pump
5. Freezer to water cool vs air cool.
6. Dual Racor fuel filters
7. Salon settee cushions - different design for better comfort.
8. Nav station desk without the laptop drawer.
9. Extend the Nav station lower side cabinet. To put repeater I70 instrument..

Still in talks about getting a traditional mast vs roller furling. Would love to hear from you on how well you like the mainsail that comes with the boat.
This boat will be a full time cruising boat. We plan on cutting the docklines in March.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Email me at Merlna at Aol. dot com.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Looks like I will be ordering either hull 89 or 90. Gerry wants me to take hull 89 but the delivery date is too soon. I have some customization that some might be interested in.
1. Move compass to helm stations. One at each helm station.
2. Move Chartplotter to top of cockpit table. Where the current chartplotter is Navpods makes a perfect Pod to place there for a "Watch Box" (flashlights, horn, etc. )
3. Convert one water tank to diesel fuel for extra 40 gallons. Gives me over 500 NM range.
4. Fresh water galley foot pump
5. Freezer to water cool vs air cool.
6. Dual Racor fuel filters
7. Salon settee cushions - different design for better comfort.
8. Nav station desk without the laptop drawer.
9. Extend the Nav station lower side cabinet. To put repeater I70 instrument..

Still in talks about getting a traditional mast vs roller furling. Would love to hear from you on how well you like the mainsail that comes with the boat.
This boat will be a full time cruising boat. We plan on cutting the docklines in March.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Email me at Merlna at Aol. dot com.
Hi MsEmee,

I have a C355 that I have now cruised with for 2 seasons and do have some comments/suggestions. Will send you a PM with my thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.