Catalina 380 water tank question

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
My question is this;
My boat has 3 water tanks, One under the vee berth, one under the port settee and one under the starboard port side of the berth in the aft stateroom. The Owner manual shows the three tanks and three 'valves', one for each tank. These appear to be shut off valves but the only valves I discovered are all under the galley sinks and appear to have no way to manually shut them off. So here is the question: What decides where the pump will draw water from what tank and in what order? It appears that when I used the water system last week that it emptied the mid-ships tank ( under the port settee ) first. This is also the only tank without a remote level gage. I'm also concerned that if the tanks are somehow interconnected, then a leak in one would empty them all.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Usually the tank valves are all located together somewhere near the freshwater pump, Catalina used metal valves with weak black plastic handles that break off so it may not LOOK like a valve anymore:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...plumbing-quick-connect-shutoff-valve-15mm.cfm
Often on boats with 3 tanks the valves or a freshwater manifold may be located under the galley sink, on my boat with a front and rear tank the valves for both are under the aft berth next to the rear tank and FW pump.
On my boat the front tank is higher and will drain to the rear tank if both valves are open, I choose to use only one tank at a time.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I choose to use only one tank at a time.
Which makes sense, 'cuz then you need need no steenkin' gauges. :)

But also, and more importantly, the fresh water pump will operate better with only one valve/tank open at a time. In many cases, having two open, even if the tanks are full, will cause the pump to cycle and suck air.

Use one at a time.

the only valves I discovered are all under the galley sinks and appear to have no way to manually shut them off.
Help us understand what this means. A valve has to be able to shut off. Are the handles missing? What gives? Got a picture?

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I will post a photo if possible but it does in fact look like my handles may have in fact broken off. GRRRrrrrrr. Also it sounds like that is why my pump occasionally cycles on and off even with absolutely no leakage. They be suckin air from an empty tank I tell ya matey's.:banghead:

Feb 26, 2004
kimel, those are 1/2" valves. On my boat they are plastic gate valves. One of my two started leaking. I replaced it with a metal 1/2" gate valve from the hardware store for pennies. I then took the old plastic one apart, found two deteriorated O rings, fixed it with hardware store O rings, and kept it as a backup. It's a boat. Your favorite marine store should be your hardware store! :)

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
We have a local true value store that stocks a huge variety of items well outside the normal. I actually built the stainless steel exhaust on my Catalina 30 with the items I purchased there. A sailor could get lost for hours in there. I'll certainly take a look there for something I can use. I'd prefer a stainless valve if possible. The only problem I see with the original valves is that the handles are broken. Perhaps I can somehow repair them and use them for remote shut offs in another location.

Feb 26, 2004
I'd prefer a stainless valve
Absolutely unnecessary. Think about what service they are in: they are used for fresh drinking water, just like your house. You could probably also find the plastic OEM ones with a little internet sleuthing. Good luck.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I replaced mine with PVC ball valves. CD has the originals for $28, a little pricey considering their limited service life in a "no stress" application.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I'll be making a trip to the hardware store this week for sure thanks for all your help folks.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
How about those press on plastic values that slip on plastic tubing and no tools needed
other than to cut the plastic tubing if needed,I used them for my anchor wash pump system and are great.
Nick

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't know about the 380's but there are a lot of carry over items the 380 and 390's have that have been incorporated into the 387's. On our 387 there are 3 different water manifolds. The first two are in the main bilge compartment where the blige pump is located and are to control the flow of hot and cold water to the various fixtures. Immediately rearward of the main bilge compartment is where the bilge pump float switch is located and there is a manifold in that compartment. That manifold has three valves that are used to open and close the flow of water from the three water tanks that are located in the same locations that yours are located.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I ordered some new valves and fittings along with some new collet C clips from a vendor this morning. They will fit the 15 mm tubing and are identical to what is there now. I also will be adding an accumulator to the system to minimize pump cycling. When I got the old fitting apart I found a metal spring and a check valve from the pressure pump stuck in the fitting which had destroyed the O ring. I suspect that this was the reason the pressure pump was recently changed out by the former owner. I will be assessing the rest of the system as I move along. I might add booster pumps in the outlet lines of the tanks themselves. It seems that when the water level drops to less than 1/3 the pressure pump is unable to lift the water up and get it into the manifold and onto the rest of the system. I'd love to add some kind of transfer pump system to move the water from one tank to another but on the other hand I want to keep things as simple as possible. Less to go wrong that way. Of course the problem just might be not enough oomph in the pump.:stir:

Feb 26, 2004
Of course the problem just might be not enough oomph in the pump.
That would be extremely rare unless the pump the PO installed is inadequate for its intended use. Can you get a make & model number from the pump? Most pumps of that type, even the smallest ones, should work on your boat.

Considering booster pumps makes little sense. Boats of our size simply do not need them.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
photo.JPG
Stu that makes perfect sense. I'm going to try and download a photo of what I found in the inlet to the water heater where it ruined the ORing.