Catalina 36 - offshore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Hello I am considering a 1984-90 Catalina 36 and wanted to know owners opinions regarding offshore (not true bluewater but extended cruising off the East coast, the islands and other places) use of the boat. How would this boat compare with perhaps a 1980 Morgan 382, or 1985 Ericson 38? I would like to know where owners have sailed their boats and how confidant they feel about them. Thanks!

G

gary jensen

Am familiar with the boats

I am familiar with the Morgan, the Erickson and the Catalina 36... I sold my 36 last year after six great seasons of ownership and moved up to the 380 Catalina. Although the 36 is a great boat, it is not in the company of the other two when cruising. My choice would be the Erickson, then the Morgan, Of course they would both come after my 380........

T

Tom

I was at the Atlantic City Sail Expo show and

There was an exhibit with articles on all sorts of Catalinas that have been all over the world. As I recall there was 2 or 3 Catalina 36's that have been sailed all through the seven seas !!.... There was one 36 in partcular that was sailed by a gentleman from Alaska that has been practically around the world (I think is boats name is "Alaska Po Boy").....After talking to him and reading more about the Cat 36 I have changed my impression of the boat. I now wouldn't worry as much about taking this boat offshore. (Contact Catalina they have the information --- talk to Gerry Douglas Lead designer at Catalina he will give you the real deal) Like most things it has to do with a persons seamanship more than anything. The question is not whether the boat can make an offshore passage but more like...can the crew..... Also the boat is rated by CE at the highest rating (Class A) by the european body on ship building standards....... This does not mean it can handle being beaten on the rocks and last as long as a Westsail 32 without getting holed....but it does mean it is not a lightweight piece of crap... Its all relative....it might be faster than some of the boats you listed but whether the sea-motion is as nice as those listed in a storm can only be determined by a sea trail.......But the c36 shows that it can take an ocean voyage.

J

John

numbers

I appreciate the input. The comment about seamanship being the most important factor offshore is very valid. As for the C36 vs Ericson and Morg, here are some numbers: C36 (wk): 6600 bal/ 14,100 disp = 47% Ericson38: 5500 bal/14,900 disp = 37% Morgan38, heavy at 18,000 disp I know the Ericson 38 is a well built boat, but it seems lighter and has a lower ballast/displacement ratio than the Catalina. Also appears to me to not have as strongly built keel and rudder. The Morg of course is a nice heavy sea boat with a bluewater reputation. The only ones I have seen have been 1978-1980 vintage and have not been in great shape. I do agree, the Catalina 38 is a super boat. I am trying to figure out if I would or could spend the $$$ to get one. There are plenty of good C36's for $50-70k, I cannot seem to find a C38 for under $110k. Any more input is appreciated.

J

John

Im my previous post, I should have written 380 vs C38. I have seen an early 80's S&S designed Catalina 38. Beautiful boat at a good price now. But hard to find, especially in the shoal keel. Thanks

L

Les Murray

I got mine for the same reason

Although I have yet to put the boat in the water (being winter and all up here), I bought my 86 C-36 for the same purpose, coastal cruising. I am sure it would not be as comfortable as a heavyweight cruiser in a seaway, it seems very roomy and comfortable. The things that I see that would prevent it from being optimal for blue water work is the beamier hull and larger, shallow cockpit. The first would make movement below a bit rough, while the larger cockpit presents issues when getting water in the cockpit. I think if your using it to go to Maine or sail around the Cape and Islands, it should be excellent. Les Murray C-36 Ceilidh 1986 #560 Bristol, RI

J

John

Makes sense

Hi Les, your comments and everyone else's make sense. The attributes that make the boat somewhat fast and very comfortable, make it a less desirable blue water cruiser (although I have no doubt a C36 could cross oceans). I looked over some stats on a few boats from Westsail 32 to the blue water 40's everyone talks about and it seems that the one thing they all have in common is a displacement of over 16,000 lbs (usually 20,000), narrow beam, longer keel and skeg hung rudder. And of course that makes sense. I have cruised quite a bit in many different types of boats both power and sail and have crossed oceans on Navy ships. I know every boat is a compromise, my question comes more out of frustration of finding an affordable boat that I need now on the Chesapeake Bay and in the future when I want to cruise to the islands and perhaps further. I would love to have a Passport 37, but at $135+k for a 1980's model, it makes more sense to buy a C36 now and a larger boat 5 yrs from now, when I finally sail off to the sunset :O). Thus the question - how far will a C36 will take me :O) Thanks

G

Gene Foraker

C36 offshore

You have recieved some good advice. Back to your basic question - I definitely think the 36 should be strong enough for cruising to the islands. Many lesser boats are down there now. Some of the basic problems would be with tankage and sea comfort. The tanks are all small for what you want, especially fuel. You will need more water tankage without a watermaker. Under way, the interior is too wide without better hand holds. It is not fun going forward to the head in rough seas. There is also the lack of a good seaberth, but you can easily modify for that. The stock boat lacks ventilation at sea without opening hatches. You can add water resistant vents or dorades and will want to. Older models lack a good anchor windlass setup.

J

John

The C36 is still looking good

Thanks, fuel tankage is a good point. I know that many long distance cruisers motor quite a bit. None of the other boats I am considering (10-20yrs old, under $75k) have much more tankage, except the Ericson 38 at 60gal and a Cal 39 at 50 gal. Ericson 38's are good boats and have crossed oceans, but I consider them light for their size and I have not seen one in good shape yet. The Cal looks good online but have not actually seen it. The Cal is much heavier and has a much bigger engine, so the extra tankage may not translate to many more miles. Also, I would like to be able to single hand the boat on occasion. I always planned on carrying two watermakers and extra fuel (I like back ups for back ups). As for motion in the sea way, true a heavier boat would be better, but I know people that have sailed Beneteau's and have liked them. A typical Bene is lighter than the C36. I think my old beat up C30 rode quite well in a blow, for its size. Can anyone give some idea of their experiences? Two other well priced boats I am thinking about are a 1980 Morgan 382 and a 1982 Alberg 37. The Morg is heavy but not nearly as comfortable as the C36 and while a good buy now, may not find another buyer in a few yrs. The Alberg, a classic, might be a good choice, but does not have much of a cabin below. Appreciate all the help. Thanks

C

Chris Hyland

C36 Offshore

Great thread, My wife and I just purchased a 2001 C36, Hull # 1971. Everyones comments about beam width being narrow on a Bluewater boat are intersting. Looking at the Whitbread 60's that ran the Vende Globe the beam on these boats is very wide. A C470 is proportionately larger than a C36. I mean to say beam vs lenght. A Tarton 3700 is generally considered to be a bluewater boat and has similar beam to the C36. We sea trialed a 99 C36 which is also as our friend calls it a "Fat Ass" and she went like a dream through the chop. The dealer claims the get several C36s in the Newport to Bermuda run every year. Would I do it? No, but the boat can. I see the biggest problem with the C36 being a long range cruiser is the tankage, Fuel being the big problem. 25 gallons just doesn't get it done. A Watermaker would supplement the 80 gallons of fresh water. 12 miles offshore you can empty sewage with the macerator pump. Batteries would be a problem as well.... Solar chargers could supplement. The boat isn't in the water yet because of winter weather but I'm sure the radar and other instruments will burn up battery life. Just a few thoughts from a novice.... Chris.

G

Gene Foraker

c-36 offshore

My comments about the width were not about the exterior, but the interior. If the boat is banging around in a seaway, you will have a long way to fall if you get knocked from one side to the other. If the interior were built up with more storage down below and the interior sides were moved in, it would not be as friendly for entertaining, but would be better for offshore. That is not a criticism, just a compromise we must all make. I own a 1999 C-36 and love it. I have friends who put a lot of money into their Hunter 35 and took it "down south to the islands for a year" 3 or 4 years ago. They got beat up on the way there and bought a Whitby 42 ketch down there and are now heading out around the world. Not to knock the Hunter, the failures they had could have happened to any boat, it just wasn't suited to what they wanted. The Whitby 42 ketch is a wonderfull boat and what they should have bought from the first for about what they had in the Hunter with all the modifications. I chartered a Whitby 42 for 10 days in the Virgins and it is the perfect boat to live on and sail in the Tradewinds. I wouldn't want it for coastal sailing where I am.

M

Melody Miller

Consult Spinsheet

Hi John: If your from Annapolis, you're familiar with Spinsheet and probably Jack Horner's boat reviews. Mr. Horner is a naval architect. Access the Spinsheet websit at SpinSheet.com and you'll see a link to about 40 boat reviews. Mr. Horner almost always comments on seaworthiness. If I had 75K to spend, I would seriously look at a Sabre 34. Good Luck, Melody

J

John

Great thread

This is turning out to be a great thread. I appreciate everyone's responses. Melody, thanks for the Spinsheet info, I do read it regularly. I have looked at the Saber 34 and a Bristol 35.5. I felt they both had too small a cabin for my needs. Also, there is some descrepancy about which years where solid vs cored hulls. I want a solid hull. Saber 36 would be nice... but... quite a bit more $$$ than the C36 and again, does not look like it takes you anywhere the C36 could not. Whitby 42 is a great boat, Peterson 44 even better. Too big for my needs right now. Passport 37 would be my perfect boat... if on sale for 40% off :O))) The more I look at other boats and hear from owners, the more I believe that the C36 is a well built boat that can take me just about anywhere. I am also looking at 1980's C38's (beautiful S&S design), but the shoal draft version is impossible to find. An Alberg 37. The Alberg is a terrific boat, bluewater and very pretty, but I am not sure I would be as pleased with the interior space. I will have to see one to determine. Will still look at Morgan 38's and Ericson 38's... not finding any good ones though. Any more thoughts are very welcome. This has become a great thread. Thanks.

J

John

Chris H, tankage and power

Chris H, I just noticed where you live. I used to live in Rhody and sailed quite a bit out of there. Heaven on earth, the best kept secret in the country. Loved it there. Used to cruise to Nantucket all the time. As for tankage and power. I am planning on making my boat completely self sufficient with solar and wind. I think it a worthwhile investment and easy to do. Will also have a secondary bank of batts just for that purpose. You are right about tankage. I would probably replace the fuel tank - its easy to get to - and/or have extra tanks. Should be easy and because of the relative lower cost of a C36 vs other boats, should have the cash left over. Go to One Pelham in Newp and have one for me.

M

Melody Miller

Also Look at Practical Sailor

Hi John: You can also look at the Practical Sailor website. They must have 60+ boat reviews that you can purchase and download. The reviews are pretty thorough. I bought one for a Sabre 28 and it was about 4 pages. Good Luck, Melody

C

Chris Hyland

Bombay Saphire and One Pelham

John, The wife and I will hoist one (or more)there in your honor this spring. We're novices at sailing, and when looking for our first sailboat we looked for a few basic criteria. First we wanted a boat large enough to overnight with guests i.e. two enclosed cabins. Second, we wanted a boat that could make Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, and Nantucket with ease. Being both professionals with no kids we had a little more money than time so we opted for a new boat to minimize work and maintenance and optimize enjoyment. The tax deduction was a major influence as well. We looked at quite a few brands, Catalina, C&C, Dehler, Island Packet, Beneteau, Jeauneau (sp?), Odesey, and Jboats. The Catalina had a lot of value for the money, in fact , it's amazing what they can do for the money. The interior layout in the C36 is very good. We did like the Island Packet interior, but they are so slow. Literally the slow boat to China. Something like propping up a mast on a coal barge. The combination of speed and interior comfort seems to be a delicate balance, or at least a tradeoff. People in the sailing community have impressed me because they are always willing to offer a tip or piece of advice to novices like us. We looked for a boat for almost a year and were give a lot of valuable advice along the way. I'm going to start a thread to ask the proper way to celebrate and christen a new boat. Any advise would be helpful.

J

John

Hi Chris and Melody

Hi Chris and Melody Thanks for the reply's. Chris, congrats on your new boat. It does sound like you devoted a lot of research into it. That's what I am trying to do, rather than rely on personal or other people's opinions (though they are valuable). I keep coming up with a C36. Wish I could help with the christening ceremony, can only say that champagne and having some royalty banging it on your yacht are always a good idea :O))) Melody, thanks for the advise. I do have the latest 2 Vol set of Practical Boat Buying and find it very valuable ... for its objective info on boat construction,price and systems. They do wax back and forth on some subjective things like remarks about the tight interiors of older Tartan while making other remarks about the "condo like" interiors of newer boats. The objective data included in the reviews is great. Several people have told me that C&C's leak. Hard thing to reconsile, but then PS states that the hull to deck joint is not glued or bonded, that C&C just uses butyl tape and screws and that several fitting are at tough angles making these boats prone to leaks. PS does remark kindly about the C&C Landfall 38 as a cruiser... but the leaks remark bothers me and so I am not sure that boat would be on my list. All reviews I have read about the 34-47 ft range Catalina's have been very very favorable. Also am reading now about how many people are using C27's and 30's for bluewater cruising (with modifications). The fact that these 1970's boats (which I personally do not consider built nearly as well as the larger 1980's vintage C's) are still in service indicate to me that Catalina's can take a beating and last quite some time. Thus my confusion at trying to reconsile some other people's remarks about the quality of Catalina's.

T

Tom Soko

1991?

You might want to consider the 1991 C36. It was the last year with the "old" style interior (full nav station) and the first year of the walk-thru transom. Best of both worlds! I think it also came with the larger 30 hp Universal. I have an 87 C36 and love it. The fuel tank on mine is 33 gal, and at an average of .5 gal/hr, it runs FOREVER on each tank. Good Luck!

P

Paul Walchenbach

Interior Modifications

Great discussion. I have a few suggestions regarding possible interior modifications to the C-36 that may make it more suitable for off shore sailing. First, I rarely use the navigation station for navigation. The main settee table is much better suited (because of its size) for reviewing charts. It also lends itself nicely to more than one person looking at a chart at the same time. The nav chair moves around in a seaway and also seems to be in the way when occupied by a body. I suggest that you consider removing the chair and building a cabinet or drawers under the nav desk. It would be a great place to store foul weather boots, flare kit, and flashlights. Second, I find the main table to be very under built. If you were thrown against it in a seaway it would likely fail. Although I am not an engineer, it would seem useful for the table to have an additional horizontal support near the inboard edge (my comments apply to the "U" shaped settee not the "L" shaped version). Third, the fiddles on the various selves in the main compartment are too low to keep things from flying around if the boat heals 20+ deg. This also applies to the two long selves in the v-birth. You will need to come up with some way to make it more difficult for gear to fall to the floor when the boat heals. Fourth, when the boat is in rough water the TV sliding door slides open exposing what ever is inside. You will need to come up with some way to lock it closed. And lastly for now, consider adding a saltwater faucet and manual foot pump to the galley sink. You will have limited fresh water and there is no need to wash spaghetti sauce off dishes with anything other than salt water. Paul s/v Mata Hari Seattle, WA, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.