Catalina 36 Mk I Mast support (?)

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I look at boat listings to get ideas for things I might want to do on my 1983 Catalina 36. I've gotten some really good ideas. On some interior images of Mk I C36s are these wire rigging - turnbuckle setups coming down from the cabin top on an angle going to the mast, maybe 18" long. What is that for? Does it provide more support for the mast? Is it something I should consider adding when I'm bored and have no other boat projects? It looks like the lower end goes into the mast slot (which of course would be hard to do with the mast in place).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Only if you have a keep stepped mast. It keeps the deck down and keeps the wedges in place unless you have Spartite. Do you know of the C36 Forum at www.c36ia.org?

On some interior images of Mk I C36s are these wire rigging - turnbuckle setups coming down from the cabin top on an angle going to the mast, maybe 18" long. What is that for? Does it provide more support for the mast? Is it something I should consider adding when I'm bored and have no other boat projects?

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
Thanks Stu, another curiosity answered. I do have a keel stepped mast, but this bit of hardware shows no sign of ever being in place. So, still wonder if it might be of any use. Perhaps it was something Catalina added after my '83 was built.