Catalina 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Cobb

I notice that the Catalina web site information on this boat refers to its "generous amount" of water tankage, without listing how much water she carries. Does anyone know? The 350 and 310 represent a new leading edge to Catalina's large boats. Both are beamy for their length, and are more "dockominium" than cruiser. Each has a relatively high capsize screen score, for example. These boats are rich in interior comforts, and appear to be aimed squarely at people who sail along the coast, and who avoid the big storms and long blue water passages anyway. This appears to be the wave of the future. The Beneteau 361 is much the same story, as is the Hunter 356.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Survey says...

it is the trend, for sure... and if you look at the boats that are sellin gin big numbers, they're the ones. In a general sense, that appears to be what people want. But, so long as there are plenty of alternatives for sailors who want a different style boat, diversity is a good thing. It gives us all more choices. I sail Puget Sound and I for most of the owners here, that kind of design is perfect.

B

Bill

350 Tankage..........

Ken, I've seen data for the 350 but it's sometimes contradicting, the water tankage is supposed to be 125 gals and the holding tank 25 gals....or 22 gals, the waterline length, 30'-3" or 31'-3". All these numbers were from printed (Catalina issue) specs I got from my dealer. A Seattle dealer has 146 pics of the boat on his website, go to www.ays.com and follow the link to the 350. There are some neat things they've incorporated in this new boat but I still need to actually board one (there's only one on the west coast) before I can decide between the 350 and the 36MKII. I think the 36 will still have a more open feeling salon due to the fact that the head doesn't stick part way into it and I like the L' shaped setee on the 36 which the 350 doesn't have. One thing I really like on the 350 though is the separate stall shower as I'm planning to live aboard and I don't like wet bathrooms.

K

Ken Cobb

Update

Since posting this original question I searched Yachtworld boats for sale and found a site showing the only 350 on the West Coast, posted by a dealer in Marina del Rey. Under "Specs" it shows the water tankage at 88.5 gallons, with 22 gallons in the holding tank. Fuel tank is listed at 39 gallons. Comparing the 36 to the 350, the 36 lacks as good a master suite, shower stall, and water tank. On the other hand, the 36 has a better settee layout and is a little less capsize prone in very rough weather.

B

Bob Braddy

Have a good look

As my post of a couple of days ago indicates, I recently bought a Catalina 36 Mk II. I did this after a considerable amount of thinking and soul searching. I have also seen and been aboard the 350 for close inspection. Notwithstanding, I chose the 36 for many of the reasons mentioned already. I would add only that while the 350 has great tankage (excepting fuel,which isn't that bad) and has the feel of a big 310, take a careful look at the shower stall, the social arrangements in the salon and the storage. Then compare those few items to the 36. The 36 is an old design updated. Its tankage is not particularly good by comparison, but its storage is super. It is a very comfortable boat for social occasions and for cruising as well as being a very good sailor. Having said these few things, I would say that the 350 is a very well appointed boat with many goodies. You pay your money and take your choice. I made mine.

B

Bob Roth

Compare 36 MkII and 350

Hmmm I looked over the 36 and 350 as well. I like the overall layout of the 350. The cabin volume is just great. It seems to have more thought out features to make the experience of sailing and living aboard a better experience. I find that there is plenty of storage on the 350. I don't like the idea of going below right into the galley sink on the 36. I prefer to step into the cabin and have the galley to the side. The 36 is a bit more traditional I must say in it's profile where the 350 seems to be fairly wide. The 1985-87 Hunter 40' has the same beam and is 5 feet longer overall. I thought that was a beamy boat. The 350 looks like a large 320, which I have heard is Catalina's performance sailing boat. I think The folks at Catalina know what they are doing for sure and have a good future game plan as evidenced by the design of the 31, 320, 36 and 350. I to will be making the choice.. 36 or 350.. We'll see.. Let you know too.

G

gk

cat 350

i have hull #2 and it holds 88.5 gal.of water. the hull#1 had a third tank to get to the 125 gal. we are very pleased. we looked at 34/36 but decided on the 350. it sails great. a friend has a 320 and it can't stay with the 350.i have never sailed a 36 so i can't compare. it is also very comfortable for 2 or 4 adults. cockpit is huge. tremendous amount of storage. v-berth is outstanding. salon doesn't feel closed in. we are very happy with our decision.

C

Chris Gonzales

One design status of 36

I was told by a local dealer that the 36 has kept the same design from waterline down so as to stay in the same class as former C36's. Apparently there have been many above waterline changes/improvements. Personally, I like the lines of the 36 better than the 350. The 350 looks more like a Hunter, tall with more freeboard, wider cabin top and less walk around room. The 36 has a wonderfully large, flat foredeck with wide decks alongside the cabin top. Though I have not sailed a 36 I would venture to say it is more of a sailors boat when it comes to the deck area. My wife and I love to spend time in our C30 in or out of the slip so what's below decks is about as important to us as the sailing qualities of the yacht. Here the 350 seems to shine. We love the spaciousness of the main salon. The owners cabin with a real bed, not a v-berth. It looks like one could literally stand in one spot in the galley and reach everything needed to cook a fantastic meal. The dry head with seperate shower would be wonderful. You can stand in front of the sink in the head just like you do at home without having to bend at the waist to reach it. Unlike the 36, the floor is flat, too. Storage below as well as in the cockpit looks good. Tankage is good. We will be visiting Forida on business later this month and will be stopping by the Catalina factory to see more of the 350. If they let us take pictures we will share them with all. We will then spend more time on a 350 sometime earlier August at the local dealer to see if we can make a final decision. Will keep you posted. Meanwhile, anyone who owns a 350 please tell us more about your experiences and opinions! Chris

C

Chris Hyland

320 performance boat?

Bob, I hadn't heard of the 320 referred to as Catalina's performance boat before. If I had to guess I'd say the C42 has the best overall performance out of all the Catalina line. I own a C36 and spent a lot of time on the 350 in AC at sail expo. While the 350 is wide and offeres more room in the salon. It's not really usable space. I would love the tankage it has but overall I think the 36 has a more usable layout. Sit in the settee on a 350 and try to bring the table leaves up. You can't, they hit you legs. The head is nice but takes up too much space and disturbs the layout. I'm sure I'm biased, I'd move up to a C42 but the layout isn't as good as the C36. It's the most popular 36 foot sailboat in the world, and for good reason. Sail a 350 before you buy it. I'd want to sail that through some heavy water. You up by me so if Eastern gets one in, tell them you want to sail it around sakonnet point. That will show you what she's made of.... Regards, Chris

C

Chris Hyland

One design status

Chris, Your comment about the one design status of the C36 is true. The below the waterline shape is unchanged. I also found the 350 to be more expensive than the 36 in the talks I had with the dealer. Is this still true? I paid 125K for a pretty decked out C36 in 2001 and I've seen 145K numbers on 350's. If this is true your sneeking up on a 380. As for sailing the C36 sails like a dream. She moves pretty good and points well. Best of luck Chris

R

Rick

C36 Rig

My problem with the 36 other than the steps coming down into the galley sink is the rig. I just don't understand why Catalina hasn't updates this boat to a more modern rig with double spreaders.

T

Tom

Comparing C350 and C36MKII my opinion (long?)

I have the C36MKII ('99 vintage) and I love the boat and I spent quite a lot of time on the C350 at the AC expo. Here are my observations and comparisons of the 2 boats.....obviously this is NOT a complete or exhaustive comparison, but a start of a few things to discuss. Looks -- (Purely subjective and my own opinion) Advantage C36MKII -- Though the C350 is not a lot different and looks very similar, I have to agree with a previous poster and say that due to the 'apparent' higher freeboard and wider stern it is starting to look alot more like (yikes) a Hunter and the newer dockominiums.....though due to very good use of windows and design they look a LOT better than the Hunter's. Cockpit Layout -- Advantage C350 Very similar in many ways but I give the edge to the C350 due to the fact that Genny Winches are back next to the helm and make it easier for the skipper to singlehand & trim sheets without turning on the autopilot and going forward like on the C36MKII. Plus they have the sheet bags up on the coachroof not on the bulkhead, thus allowing passengers leaning up against the bulkhead not having to be against all the lines. Lazerrette storage -- Big Advantage C350 Due to the wide stern the C350 is able to have an absolutely huge lazerrete on the boat. I think you could fit 10 Cubans down there. That is one thing I miss on the C36MKII, It would be great for things like a cruising spinnaker which In have to keep somewhere below. Salon -- Advantage C36MKII I think this is no contest. Just the volume is greater, plus the capability of the C36MKII to put the dining table up out of the way, down or all the way down to make a huge romper room bed area is great. Plus I think the layout and the openness and the ability to watch TV or socialize is superior. I think the C350 is nice, but the space is skewed on an angle, and I don't love the salon table on it. BTW, the reason the space in the salon of the C350 is skewed and smaller is because the C350 has a separate shower stall, which leads us to.......---->>> Head -- Advantage C350 It has a separate shower stall -- 'nuff said. That would be enough, but it also has an electric head with macerator built in that is "supposed" to fill up the holding tank slower than a manual pump head...that remains to be seen. Holding Tank -- Advantage C350 At 22 gallons the C350 is much better than the (almost inadequate?) 17 gallons that the C36MKII has. I know I wish my boat had a bigger holding tank. Main berth -- Advantage C350 Innerspring mattress and walk around bed -- Also at the expense of a smaller salon area and higher freeboard needed. Galley -- Tie ? The C350 has the "refrigerator door" down low that opens outward that makes it easy to retrieve things from the bottom of the refrigerator. Also makes it easier for kids to get stuff (at the expense of losing some colder air?). But I "like" the C36MKII galley right at the bottom of the stairs. It makes it very easy to throw garbage, bottles and cans right into the sink down the companionway..;-) Windage/Freeboard -- Big Advantage C36MKII Though Gerry Douglas said at the AC show that freeboard of the C350 is the same as the C36MKII, I still believe that it has a lot more "volume" of windage available above the waterline than the C36MKII. This will matter somewhat when docking or pointing into the wind. Also, it is going to be a lot easier to step onto the boat off the dock and I believe the C350 will need steps for the "vertically challenged" out there. Sailing in Light Air - Advantage C350 I have not sailed the C350, but all indications (D/SA, etc) point to this being a faster boat in light winds. Plus I think that the C350 might get a faster rating than the C36MKII and Gerry Douglas said it should be a "small bit" faster also...(to be seen) Sailing in Heavy Air - Advantage C36MKII The C36MKII is a surprisingly capable boat in heavy air. In fact it likes to really run in winds above 15kts, much more than in winds below 7kts. Being a heavier boat and a more traditional hull, tends to make me believe that it would also be more comfortable in sustained heavy winds and waves also. Deck features - Plus C36MKII - Outside Toerail for outside Genny Track (The AC C350 did not have this) Plus C350 - Split Anchor locker and dual Anchor rollers Plus C36MKII - Level side decks (though it could be argued that the angled decks on the C350 allow a more level surface when going forward on the weather side when the boat is heeling) Plus C350 - opening lockers in the Sugar Scoop transom (due to the fact that the stern is so much wider) Misc. -- there are a lot of new little gizmo's that the C350 has. Not that they are that big a deal, and you might not even like them, but it was nice of Catalina to incorporate into the boat.--->>> Water manifold -- All Fresh water is fed into a single manifold then to the plumbing. This allows isolation of plumbing circuits in case there is a leak or fault with one faucet or something. Built in Dingy engine mount -- Nice addition to boat, most people add one anyway Cockpit table/storage compartment -- Lots of pro's and Cons...personally, I think the solid teak one they had at the boat show looked very nice but I'm not sure I would like that as a permanent structure in my cockpit. Solid/rectangular Pedestal -- Lots of pro's and Cons....It is easy to add instrumentation to this one though. Very functional but not as appealing to the eye as the traditional pedestal. Single lever Throttle/Gear -- I never used one, but I think I would like to have it on my boat. Having only one lever to deal with when maneuvering in tight quarters would be a plus. Did I miss anything else..;-)....lol

T

Tom Abbott

C350

We have just completed our "maiden" voyage on C350, hull #8. Standard water tankage is 77.5 gal split between bow and starboard tanks. There is an optional port tank that would bring it up to 125 gal. I'm not at home now, but as I recall the waterline length is 31'3". The holding tank is 22 gals (changed afterf hull #2). Tom Abbott Graeagle, C350 #8

T

Tom Abbott

C350

What keel configuration do you have and how does it ride in the water? We have hull #8 with the wing keel and she seems to be riding stern heavy about three inches - lower portion of the transom under water with two in the cockpit. Thanks, Tom Abbott Graeagle, C350 #8

T

Tom

Tom...FYI I have the C36MKII and when I am at

Hull speed or close to it my stern goes down also & lower portion of the transom under water ....But what I think is actually happening is the stern wave is rising. But that is not a bad thing, this is where the waterline length of your boat is lengthening which creates a potentially faster boat.

A

Andy

Hull #3.. C 350

Hi folks and C-350 Owners.. Couple of things.. We were about to plunk a deposit on a Beneteau 361 at Atlantic City Sail Expo . We really preferred the Beneteau (classic rigs) over all catalina models. Hunter was not in the running. (I sold Hunter boats at one time too). Just before leaving the Expo with a plan to do the B-361, we decided to check out the Catalina display one last time. We had no idea there was a 350... All of us fell in love with the boat at first sight. At the time, we had a concern regarding livable space in the main cabin but hey, go with the gut instinct. For us it was the C-350 or B-361. C-36MKII was not an option. There is obviously nothing wrong with the 36 , it just didn't "do it" for us. A couple of points regarding interior design that have been on this post: The dinette table on the 350 does not fold out so there is no "knee" problem to contend with. It comes standard with two tables. One is smaller for let's say two people. It easily lifts and stows in the rear and can be replaced by a very large table that places on the same posts for more people to eat comfortably, or use as a buffet if one chooses to dine in that fashion. There is still lots of main salon space no matter how you do it. You can also lift the table and the two support posts out to open up the entire main cabin to one very large space. We have 4 kids with us much of the time. The electronics panel and battery charger are different improved) than on the other Catalina models. Our limited time thus far on the boat with 4 adults and 4 kids: Well we could easily fit 4 more people and still have room to spare. In the cockpit and deck area; it is much larger than any other 35' boat I have ever seen in my 25+ plus years of sailing. I am a former Cal owner and Love Bill Lapworth designed hulls. We have Raymarine radar... ST5000+ A/P, RL70CRC+ Chartplotter/radar ST60Wind, isolated starter battery and let's see... All the normal other options one would want for I guess for a boat like this. We did not get the teak cockpit table as it takes up too much space The cockpit is so beautifully designed, why shrink it? We did get the double berth option in the main salon so we very comfortably sleep 7..In reality with 4 kids under 5 yrs old, we sleep ... hmmmmm Remember the woman who lived in the shoe? There has been a lot of talk aboout the design and interior layout of this boat. I bought the boat to sail, mostly in the ocean and the provide as much comfort as possible with all the kids, a baby sitter now and then and 4 or more adults. This boat.. The Catalina 350, provides for all that. I did some calculations using Sail Calculator regarding perfomance numbers. Based on the design of the hull, weight, displacement, and sail area, the numbers are very impressive indeed. I guess Catalina saw that as well in their initial "Blue Print". I very much want to start an "official" 350 owners association. So, All interested say "I" and provide me with your e-mail address at: andy@wepi.com Our boat will be in Philadelphia area for a while and then at some point she will live at Trump Marina in ACY or Barnegat Light on Long Beach Island NJ. Should anyone want to come aboard and have a look prior to purchasing The 350 or another Catalina model, let me know. All the best and happy sailing!

T

Tom Abbott

I may not have made it clear, but I am referring to how the boat rides at anchor or at the dock, not underway. Tom

C

Chris Hyland

C350

Andy, Glad you found the boat that fits you best. The 350 at the AC sail expo show had a table with folding leaves. They hit my leg when I tried to fold them up while sitting on the seat. The boat I was told was about two weeks from just chemicals in drums. It was a 24X7 job for Catalina to get it to the AC show. Based on this I imagine what I saw was now the "Final" design. Glad it worked out for you. Fair winds, Chris

K

Ken Cobb

Andy (Hull #3)

It is intriguing that you said the Hunters were not in the running for you, even though you once sold them. On paper the Hunter 356 would seem to be trying to compete with the Beneteau 361 and the Catalina 350. Would you care to elaborate on how the 350 compares to the B361 and the H356?

A

Andy

H -356, B -361 C-350

Bill of Seattle took the words right out of my mouth so I hope he does not mind if I copy and paste his post as I would say the same thing regading the Hunter 356. So Thank you Bill of Seattle and here we go once again... "As for the comparison between the C350 and the H356 you should consider some of the following; The Hunter has swept spreaders which will prevent you from letting the main out fully and most people agree that wihout a "helping" sail that Hunters aren't such great downwind sailers. The Hunter also has a large roached main which is great when going the other way but also can make it tender which means you'll be reefing early and then there's that arch thing. Between the arch, the messy lookin BandR rig and those lower mast struts, the 356 just looks cluttered.I'm sorry but sailboats don't look good with things mounted all over their decks. You will pay extra on the 356 for a stove/oven, refrigerated icebox and electric windlass as all 3 are standard on the 350 and while they both have separate freezer compartments, only the 350 has a front door to the frig so you'll be able to use the counter space above. The 350 has a totally separate shower stall and while the 356 has a stall also, the toilet is also in it. Any Catalina will have wider weatherdecks than a comparable Hunter, I consider this an important safety feature. Also, the shrouds are inboard on the 350 so you won't be running into them. The 350 has bigger batteries and a 4cyl 35HP engine, the 356 has a 3 cyl 27HP engine. The 350 has a larger HW tank, 11 gals versus 6 on the 356. Another thing that Hunter does is locate the primary winches on the coach roof which means if you are single handing you will be dancing around the cockpit whereas on the 350, they are right in line with the helm. While the 356 is a really nice boat and actually has a more upscale interior, the 2010 350 will look exactly the same as the present one which is part of a Catalina's exceptional value, not to mention the fact that they are solidly built, well backed boats." Thank you Bill.. And now....... The Beneteau 361 is a very nice boat make no mistakle about it. I was very much interested in the Beneteau 361. I did opt for a used Cal 39 over the B-361. (then decided to buy new). We decided to buy new for fiancial considerations and long term value of the boat. The Benteau 361 has a narrow space through the main cabin. The head and stall shower take up a good amount of space in the rear staboard section. Of course, The Catalina 350 head and shower do the sme thing in the forward port section. The 350 just has so much space in the main salon. Also, The standard equipment on the 350 is quite impressive. No manufacturer I don't think provides as much overall boat a good quality production boat I should say), for the dollar as Catalina. Beneteau 361 has a self furling Main . This would not be my prefrence. You can however opt for a "classic" rig at no additional charge. I guess if I were still a boat dealer as I was before and sold Beneteau and Catalina it would really come down to personal choice. They are both real nice boats. I can not honestly put Hunter in the same bag I really can't. Just go on board a Hunter immedialtly after walking through a Catalina and Beneteau. .....Enough said. All the best, Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.