Catalina 350 vs. Catalina 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Cobb

Competitive class

It's interesting to compare not only the 36, 350, and 34, but also a couple of popular competitor models, the Beneteau 361 and the Hunter 36. All of the 36-footers in this class have very similar displacements and features. As you go through each, you can find little things to quibble about for each one, but it is obvious that the manufacturers are trying very hard to achieve a very similar result here. The 350 comes the closest to the ideal boat in this size range. It has the double anchor rollers, the separate shower, the large water tank, the good galley, and the good forward berth. But it has a skewed salon floorplan that is much less attractive as a conversation circle for a small group of friends or as a TV watching area. You also have to sit at the nav station in the 350 on the edge of the settee, without a back support like you would have with a chair. For me, the salon is so problematic on the 350 that I would favor either the old Cat 36 or the Beneteau 361, but that is because the salon is the most important room on the boat to me.

L

Leif rasmussen

my choice was the 36mkII

My wife and I purchased a 2004 36mkII this weekend at the Annapolis boat show. I went to the show thinking the 350 would be my choice but decided on the 36 instead. I thought the shower stall in the 350 was a bit snug and I liked the lines of the 36 better. I can see why others would choose the 350. Either semms to be a fine boat. The Catalina folks pointed out several improvements for 2004 such as removal of the wood timbers in the hull grid ( this was replaced with foam). All aluminum ports and hatches are now polished and look like stainless, the stern rail sets have been improved and an outboard motor bracket is standard.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One last ?

In rereading Calder's Cruising Handbook last night, after all this fine and interesting discussion: Have those of you who have discussed this, or at least the folks having to make the choice, actually sailed both boats? Stu

B

Bill

Blair, check out Gatewaysailing.com

Gatewaysailing.com publishes the base prices of all the Catalinas and has option prices on the 350.

C

Chic Lasser

2004? C36

Leif: Congradulations! We own a 36 MKII and are happy with our choice. Not perfect by any means but with some mods it is getting their. Curious, what hull number are they telling you will be produced?

I

Ivana

Tom, Ivana here

I guess no one reads the archives about our previous performance regarding the C350 versus the C36. I am NOT a racer but for all readers who have not read my experiences regarding the sailing performance of the 350 during the Delmarva circumnavigation last May, we blew them all away. We blew away every single boat under 40 feet. We left Salt Ponds hours after the fleet and caught them all by the time we got to the Delaware Bay. We blew past the C36 on the inside leg and again on the outside leg so fast I felt sorry for the crew watching us pass. The owner of a C32 approached us after the event lamenting his choice instead of the 350. My boat is outfitted with the standard prop and furling main. I just installed a generator but noticed no differnece in performance during an October cruise.

T

Tom S

No I did read it, but then why is the C350 getting

such a gift rating? As seen by other posters the C350 got a rating of 169 !? Do you belong to any PHRF fleets? What is your base rating? What allowances are you given by your PHRF fleet? The LWL of the C350 is about 1 foot more than the C36 & The Sa/D for the C350 19-20? While the Sa/D for the C36 StdRig/Fin keel is 15.27.Big difference huh? Do you have a 150 jenny and the C36 had a 135? All sorts of reasons for a boat to pull away from another. I would think that the rating would be *much* lower for a C350 than a C36. But from what I see it is not. I know you blew by "one" C36. Thats just one race. And that's just one race on one point of sail with one set of conditions. Looking at the design of the C350 with the wide aft sections its not a surprise that in a "power reaching" condition you would do well. You were probably in your sweet spot and there is nothing wrong with that. Reading your previous post you were sailing over night on one point of sail. Overnight some people don't sail their boats well and really back off . I have also blown by 40 foot boats (I don't think they were sailed well) and have had my "admiral" get mad at me because I would not give up on an informal race I had with a fully crewed racing boat.....let me tell you, I was in my sweet spot and they were frustrated and wouldn't acknowledge not being able to pass me and conveniently fell off. There is someone with a C350 in my marina and I know him to be a good sailor and he would never be able to say he can walk away from my C36. Come to the LISCA (Long Island Sound Catalina Association) August regatta typically held in Bridgeport, CT. You are more than welcome, there are many catalina's from 28-30 footers all the way up to 400-42's . Its a fair PHRF race on a triangular course , I think this might be a better test of the sailing characteristics that a single destination race. I'm not saying the C350 isn't a good sailing boat, just that I think its closer to the C36 in a full range of conditions than you portray in that one post on Delmarva

J

Janice

350 cost

The two local dealers for the 350 were both approximately $135K with commissioning, not including options. Don't know what the 36 was. That price included furling main and $5k in options as part of the "boat show special" I am curious as to what the first and second year models went for. Anyone know?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gee, Dave...

...all you asked was a simple qustion, and look at the hornets nest you stirred up. Have you made a choice yet? Maybe you want to keep it to yourself. :) In any event, and given a lot of the repsonses, just because the two boats are only a foot (almost, I haven't checked the specs) apart, they really are two different boats, for two different tastes. As a casual racer, I understand Tom's point of view, and a few weeks ago we beat another identical boat across one leg of a course with our 110 jib and their 130. There were five other legs, and, no , we didn't. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. The good news: it's all SAILING, which is a great relaxing sport. Stu PS - hope you don't have a wireless laptop, and so can avoid this stuff when you're onboard. Buy the boat, go sailing, let us know how you like it. ENJOY

B

Bill

350 increase

Janice Looks like they went up about 5K since last yrs model

S

Steve Wark

Sept 2002 price

We bought our 350 at the Sept 2002 Newport Boat Show. Price was $125,776.00 for the base boat including freight (to a Mass dealer) and commissioning. Got $5K in free factory options as the 'show' special. I don't have the actual freight and commissioning numbers, but I seem to remember freight in the $3K range? I seem to recall hearing at the time that the freight differences made a 350 shipped from Florida to Mass cheaper overall than a 36MkII shipped from California to Mass? Something like that anyway...

J

John

Price Increase

For what it's worth, the Gatewaysailing.com base price currently appearing for the 350 is about $7,000 more than what appeared last year when I started looking at the 350. I ordered mine in September 2002 and got a base price of $125K plus $5,000 in options, which is what my dealer in Annapolis was offering as its "boat show special." Choice of "classic" vs. furling main was included in the base price, as was freight and commissioning.

B

Blair Dehuff

Price Increase

For what it's worth, the prices for the C350 that are listed in gatewaysailing.com are not current. They are the same prices I saw on their website last December when I started looking at the C350. The base price I paid for my boat last January was about $2k higher than the base price currently shown in gatewaysailing.com. I know I got a competitive price at the time because I contacted 3 Catalina dealers and picked the lowest. Also, the prices I paid last February for every one of the options were slightly higher than those still being shown in gatewaysailing.com. I had heard that the base price for the boat and all options have gone up significantly over those from 9 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.