Catalina 35 vs. Hunter 356

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

We are down to two, the Catalina 35 and the Hunter 356. The Catalina seems to have heavier tackle, but both seem a good value for the money. We will do mostly coastal sailing, the Bahamas, and Keys, after attending sailing school. This is our first sail boat, unless you count a Hobi Cat. We have been reading posts on this site for quite a while and your discussions have been very informative and helpful. So, do you have any thoughts on this? Has anyone been in the same situation? Thank you!

W

Waldo Emerson

CHOICES

Picking a boat may require to do a test sail. I did a performance matrix with the published data and had a column for the final costs with the commissioning etc. The final conclusion was the cost for a weekend of sailing and what a nice place to enjoy the kids when they are still willing to go with parents. Enjoy as long as the boat does not become a problem

A

Andy

Hunter VS Cattalina

In response to your posting: I bought the Catalina 350. After all considerations, I am very confident that the Catalina 350 provides much more value in many respects. I was a yacht broker with experience selling C&C, Cape Dory, J/Boat, Hunter and Catalina for quite a while. I can say from that side of the business that a Catalina has a better reputation in the used boat market. However, people who buy Hunters seem to enjoy their boats. I would go to "Boat Check" at www.sailnet.com and read some of the reviews from Hunter owners and Catalina Owners. I did buy the Catalina 350 so for me to write a response without any personal bias at all would be difficult. I sail sometimes with 4 or more adults and 4 kids. The catalina 350 is a very good sailing machine and provides for very comfortable safe accomadtions for all. I like the "lines" of all Catalina yachts more than Hunter boats, I like the quality of the Hardware and craftsmanship of Catalina much better and, feature for feature, The Catalina 350 is a better buy than Hunter. Beneteau is a popular boat in Florida. You should have a look at them as well. There is not as much cabin volume in the equivlent Beneteau models. Should you purchase a H-356, I am sure you will be happy with the boat. It seems to be doing well for them. What ever your choice, I wish you all the best and happy sailing! Andy

B

Bill

Other considerations...........

I'm still going back and forth between the C350 and C36MKII but I have made the Catalina vs. Hunter decision and I will be buying a Catalina. As for the comparison between the C350 and the H356 you should consider some of the following; The Hunter has swept spreaders which will prevent you from letting the main out fully and most people agree that wihout a "helping" sail that Hunters aren't such great downwind sailers. The Hunter also has a large roached main which is great when going the other way but also can make it tender which means you'll be reefing early and then there's that arch thing. Between the arch, the messy lookin B&R rig and those lower mast struts, the 356 just looks cluttered.I'm sorry but sailboats don't look good with things mounted all over their decks. You will pay extra on the 356 for a stove/oven, refrigerated icebox and electric windlass as all 3 are standard on the 350 and while they both have separate freezer compartments, only the 350 has a front door to the frig so you'll be able to use the counter space above. The 350 has a totally separate shower stall and while the 356 has a stall also, the toilet is also in it. Any Catalina will have wider weatherdecks than a comparable Hunter, I consider this an important safety feature. Also, the shrouds are inboard on the 350 so you won't be running into them. The 350 has bigger batteries and a 4cyl 35HP engine, the 356 has a 3 cyl 27HP engine. The 350 has a larger HW tank, 11 gals versus 6 on the 356. Another thing that Hunter does is locate the primary winches on the coach roof which means if you are single handing you will be dancing around the cockpit whereas on the 350, they are right in line with the helm. While the 356 is a really nice boat and actually has a more upscale interior, the 2010 350 will look exactly the same as the present one which is part of a Catalina's exceptional value, not to mention the fact that they are solidly built, well backed boats.

W

William T Allen

Catalina ==my vote

I bought a new Catalina 400 in May 2001. I looked at the Hunter, Beneteau and Catalina. I was more impressed with the Beneteau and Catalina than the Hunter. I got the impression that Hunter was thin on quality to get the price a little lower. I visited the Beneteau factory in Marion, SC and the Catalina factory in Largo, Fl(above St Pete). Both build quality boats. Beneteau builds more boats worldwide but Catalina builds more in the USA. During my research I heard it said over and over again "You can always sale a Catalina" I love my catalina. If I could not have a Catalina, I would buy a Beneteau not a Hunter. Do not let price make your mind up.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina vs Beneteau

In addition to Bill's great points about the swept back spreaders on Hunters, I offer the following observations on Beneteaus. We have had Catalinas for all our sailing life. A C22 in the early 80s, a C25 from 87 to 98, and an 86 Catalina 34 for four years. After we bought the C34 (previously owned, but in great shape), and had sailed it for some months, we chartered a bareboat Beneteau 35 in the BVIs. Admittedly an older boat, but Beneteau is still making them the same way. Beneteaus have NO access to ANYTHING inside the boat. If you check carefully, you'll find that ALL hoses and wiring simply DISAPPEAR behind interior trim. This makes it darn near impossible to trace and repair anything. OTOH, everything on a Catalina is accessible. The engine access on that particular Beneteau was absolutely horrendous. To even check the oil, you almost have to dismantle the entire aft cabin. The Beneteau had a big wide scoop transom. However, the aft pushpit stopped at the corners of the stern, and the only thing between you and the ocean was a lifeline. The helmsman's seat on the Beneteau was flat. In a five hour sail from Cane Garden Bay to Cooper Island (mahvelous, simply mahvelous!!!) I had to stand all the way, since there was no comfortable helsman's seat. I forget if the C350 has the curved helmsman's seats like on the C34. You should check it out. Finally, the width of the traveller on the Beneteau is about two feet. The width of the travellers on Catalinas is wide enough to make them actually useful in shaping sail, trimming and depowering the main before reefing. What a clever idea! You will be sailing the boat in addition to hanging out at docks and marinas and anchorages. There's the interiors and the sailing gear to consider. But also, be very careful about your ability to perform basic maintenance chores. If they are hard to do, you end up putting them off, and then blooey, there goes your investment. Good luck in your hunting (no pun intended).

C

Chris Gonzales

Ditto

I have owned 4 used Catalinas and have to agree with Stu. We want to buy our first NEW sailboat so in April my wife and I looked at the yachts at the Sail Expo in Oakland. It was a great opportunity to see the Catalinas, Hunters and Beneteaus one after the other. Though we didn't get into the nooks and crannies the way we would if we were making a buying decision that day we got a lot of impressions seeing all three lines together. The fact is, though, that while looking we never felt as good in either of the Catalina's competition's boats. The Catalinas just seem better built. They FEEL better. We will make a further in depth investigation of construction and systems before buying (we are touring the Largo plant next week), but for now, Catalina has our vote hands down. Chris

B

Bill

Adding to what Stu brought up.........

I'd forgotten to mention that in a Catalina you'll find that plumbing and electrical are laid out neatly and in common sense arrangements....things are grouped together such as all the filters that you have to access routinely and they're easy to get to. In fairness to the H356, it does have a much larger holding tank, that's one area that I feel Catalina really falls short as the 36MKII I'd ordered last year had only a 17 gal holding tank and that's just nuts for a boat that size. The one on the 350 isn't that much of an improvement except that the standard electric toilet helps maximize the use of the tank. One thing that really impressed me though was that Frank Butler, the owner of Catalina, called me on a Sunday to answer a question I had posed to the sales staff e-mail. I know that Hunter has a great reputation for standing behind it's boats also but a phone call from the owner....................and on a Sunday! It was nice to know that I'm not the only one in their office on a Sunday!

B

Bill

Something else to consider................

Here's another thing I remembered that I didn't like about the 356, the coamings aren't very deep so the seatbacks in the cockpit are too low. You need to consider good back support when you realize how much time you'll be spending in the cockpit. One nice thing about the Hunter's cocpit though is their flip down transom step/helmsman's seat, in the Cyou have to remove the thing and then figure out what to do with it and it's not curved either so ya might as well just stand behind the wheel for hours. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to build your own curved seat.

C

Chris Hyland

Sailing School

Bill, Do yourself a favor and dump the sailing school. You have a basic understanding of sailing from the hobiecats. Hire a competent captain who has experience teching sailing skills, to train you on your boat. This will be cheaper in the long run and You'll really understand YOUR boat. My wife and I did this when we purchased our 2001 C36 last year. The captain helped us take delivery and did a survey of sorts to establish we had gotten everything we paid for. He also checked to make sure the commissioning was done correctly. This was worth every penny. He gave us a lesson while delivering our boat to our slip. We had five half day lessons with him after that and we were done. Two half days were just docking and anchoring. It's a better way... Regards, Chris

B

Bill

Sailing school ?, hobie cat?

Chris, Have you responded to the wrong thread ? :)

B

Bill

Sorry, wrong Bill LOL

Gee Chris, I forgot the original Bill in this discussion, sorry.

G

Helm Seat Hump

The helm seat hump is part of the cockpit cushion package that goes on the walk-thru helm seat that came with my c28mkII and c320 and probably all other Catalinas. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

K

Keith

Just my thought

If the Hunter has an arch with the main traveler mounted on top of it, think about how you would access this area in the event of a fouled or broken traveler system, or having to redo the mainsheet. And I'm talking about at sea, not in the comfort of your slip.

B

Bill

Good point keith.........................

not to mention the fact that the traveler is optional on the 356 anyway. Also, wouldn't sail loads be pretty large on a traveler located at the end of the boom and therefore make it harder to handle in higher winds? And those loads would be transfered down to the hull thru the arch.............I'm thinkin hairline cracks around the mounting points. OMG, I sound like a Catalina sales person!

R

Rick

Arch

Is a classic main (non-furling) even an option on a Hunter. It sure would be a pain in the back side to reef a classic main up on that arch.

B

Bill

Rick, it's standard

The "classic" main is standard with the 356 but with it comes the lower struts from the mast to the cabin top....more clutter and stuff to trip over. Apparently, the mast that comes with the furling main is stronger and doesn't require the struts but with the furling main you also lose the only "sail" advantage a Hunter has, the large roach.

I

Ivana

C 350 v/s H 356

I went to sail expo in Atlantic City to buy the 356 until I went aboard the new C 350. I signed the next day and put down my deposit. Catalina had a show special of several thousand dollars, Hunter did not, the 350 had standard windass, reefer, electric head, macerator, bigger winches, heavier rigging, standard rig with backstay, a real traveler, not a pretend one, winches at the helm where you want them and more of them too, an oven, a microwave, real mattresses on the bunks, a bigger engine, a bigger headsail, shall I say more or does it suffice to stop here. Needless to say I am now aboard my 350 and so very happy I made my decision for the C 350. Actually once I saw her it was no contest. Wndchime11@aol.com

B

Bill

how does it sail?

Congrats on your new 350 Ivana. I'm sure we're all anxious to hear about your 350's sailing qualities.

C

Chic Lasser

Hull 14 Impressions

Way to much to write so look at my in depth review in Sailnet.net forums. Just traveled 16 hrs to see the 350 and hoped it would be the PERFECT boat for my wife and I. Not even close, its big but the use of space really sucked infact I thought it felt much smaller than it actualy was when I sat in the main salon. The good news is that we also spent a fair amount of time in a C36 and foot for foot it seems to be a much more comfortable boat at a much lower price point. Read my review and you will see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.