Catalina 320, Over rated?

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
The Catalina 320's are plenty out there and they held their value well. Unfortunately, you have many abused 320's piggy backing off this high resale. Many are 20+ years old and PO's are asking 45,000- 75,000 USD for this. The frustration of driving hours only to see cracks in the bilge around keel bolts, severe rust on keel bolts from electrolysis, Damaged transoms where it meets the hull and shoddy repair work to hide this, Yanmars that look like they have leprocy, poorly tuned rigging to the point you can see obvious discrepancies on the turnbuckle threads( OK now I'm nit picking) but the list goes on and on and these PO's and brokers are really delusional with the prices! I feel bad for the suckers that romanticize sailing and don't look for basic warning signs...they pay a surveyor 600+ to tell them these issues and probably decide to go ahead with the purchase underestimating the future cost of repairs. That faint crack around the keel bolt in the bilge may not cost you your life but could cost you over 20,000USD when it progresses into a larger crack.
IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I know of a Cat 320 that had to have the joining seam at the transom ground out and glassed back with cloth. Now it's as strong (actually stronger) as it should have been from the factory. Makes me wonder if there was a management issue for a while in the plant and workers were under too much pressure for time and that resulted in excessive filler with very little fiber for strength.
Generally good boats, but this was a construction issue that never should have occurred, strictly IMHO.
Given the rig loads on the whole transom, that's an area on any boat where a shortcut has real consequences.

ps: are you the person that drove for hours and was confronted with the discrepancies? :(

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It can be frustrating and stressful shopping for a "new" preowned boat. So many fine ones out there that have been neglected to the point of no longer offering the promise of sailing enjoyment. The clear message. Boats require a lot of work and money to maintain, which few among us appreciate and are willing to pay or do. Knowing the history of the various models in their respective years of production is good knowledge. Research, look; research more, look more; then maybe pull the trigger on the right deal/purchase. Don't be fixated on a particular model or manufacturer. Find the best boat at the best price and then go sailing. Avoid rescue operations (projects) if you want to be on the water. Should be looking at value, not price only. If 320 owners are too proud of their yachts to let 'em go, find another who actually wishes to sell his!!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is a funny phenomenon when any boat goes into the 'benign neglect' phase with its owner. Usually the 2nd or 3rd, they simply stop seeing things that they would/should fix, and then describe the boat in 'sail-away condition'. Couple that with what are now 20+ year old boats, and you never know what you're going to find when you show up.

Last edited:

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
Yes, this was one of many boats I've seen with issues. It was listed for a fair price as most/all the electronics were not working. I thought maybe this would work out for me as I could add and install them myself and have upgraded electronics. Big disappointment, as I may miss another sailing season here in NY. I Shouldn't have sold my O'day 272 last spring thinking the upgrade would be easy....paying more for a bigger, younger boat doesn't mean I'm getting more. What's a real kick in the ass is the first 32 footer I checked out was a impeccable 2002 Catalina 320, full upgraded electronics with radar and new auto pilot, white leather(like) interior... asking price, $59,000 by owner...I thought I should look at other makes like Beneteau before deciding. It sold in a week! Now, we know we're sticking with Catalina and the same 2002, 320's as described above are going for over $70,000.

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
Well said, I was thinking as the PO's get older maybe the funds run a little low too.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Economy's up. Obviously, the best time to buy is when most everyone else is selling in a bad economy. Just like homes.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
If you want to upsize a little more and spend some more, there's a 2003 Catalina 350 for sale near me (Ithaca, NY). Freshwater boat sold on Lake Ontario and sailed on Cayuga Lake. It's at the local boat yard here and has been out of the water for at least the last year, likely the last 2. Not sure how firm the 98k price is. Boatyard tells me it's in nice condition. Ad states 280 hrs on engine.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
"Sometimes you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince"
On the 320 org website is a build history, invaluable for shopping for a 320, it tells when various mechanical features were changed. I looked at about 10 boats between San Diego and Los Angeles, bought one in San Francisco. What you are complaining about is a boat that has held it's value remarkably well, might be a valid reason for that. Don't waste time on any boat that shows poorly or with inoperable systems, if a seller hasn't maintained something obvious like instruments they haven't done anything else either. Also check for anybody on the 320 org selling their boat, most appear to maintain their boats well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
which few among us appreciate and are willing to pay or do.
Except for the fine respondents who are on this and other boating forums. Sometimes I think if you're into buying a boat, you should ask the seller: "Do you read sbo.com? If not, what boating forums do you read?" If they say none...
Knowing the history of the various models in their respective years of production is good knowledge. Research, look; research more, look more;
Very true. What I've learned is that so many folks new to boating seem unable or unwilling to find their one-design associations. I know of hundreds of Catalina 25 new skippers who have found this 'site, but don't know about the very valuable Catalina 25 Owners Association website. And they both come up on a Google search.
Don't be fixated on a particular model or manufacturer.
Not necessarily. We had a C25 for 13 years. We spent an entire year looking for our C34, and ONLY C34s. It took a while but it sure was worth it.
Avoid rescue operations (projects) if you want to be on the water.
Absolutely. I got a pristine boat and still had to do lots, like the electrical charging system that was only 12 years old when we bought our 1986 boat in 1998, but used 20 year old technology at the time. It's harder for new skippers to know about the nuances of things like this, but "we" did it back before the internet. Now there's almost no excuse. Just ask.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
We spent an entire year looking for our C34, and ONLY C34s. It took a while but it sure was worth it.
Only took me about 6 months but that was in a 500 mile radius of the factory where they were built, the most target rich environment in the world for Catalinas built prior to their move to Florida.
BTW I've never seen the kind of damage in your photos of the transom, that is the result of a notable impact not someone just kissing a dock.

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
I think I'll stick with the Catalina....Moving up from an O'day 22 to an O'day 272 and now hoping to get a Catalina 320. I like moving up 5 feet at a time and this being my first boat with a diesel, I would like it to be younger than my last two boats (which was easy to pop a new outboard on for dependable motoring) . I may have to forget about my 5 foot plan and consider the Catalina 34 MK II which happens to be priced about the same as the C320. I looked at an abused 1990 C34 and found the aft cabin to be a little cramped. I'm hoping the 1998 C34 MkII I see available has a larger aft cabin than the 34 MKI. I'm thinking/hoping to fit my wife and I, plus our 2 adult kids with their significant others for a few Overnight trips...hopefully this season.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Not overrated.
Any boat of the age you describe will have problems if abused and/or neglected. Even good ones.

The 320 has a great layout.
Huge and usable cockpit.
One of the stoutest sail rigs I've seen in this size, even on offshore boats.
Faster than most in the category. Wide side decks.
Good quality for a high volume production boat.
Nice looking.
Just wait for yours. You'll know it when you see it. Patience pays big. Spend the extra for a well maintained and equipped boat.
Zero regrets. And good resale if you keep it up like the previous owner did.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I sm not sure that an abused Catalina 320 warrants a bashing thread. What the previous posters have said...