Catalina 315

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Long Story said:
I loved my 34' and you know what? A 34' hull with the 310 layout, and the door to the back cabin, head set up like the 34' had, the wrap around at the table, chart table but with the open concept of the 310, and back to that style bed, not a v-berth.. With shallow draft that would be in my mind a great boat... throwing out more possibilities...
Wouldn't that be the 350?

Sep 27, 2006
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Cleveland, EYC
315 Construction Improvements Over the 309/310

Look at the stats guys. Waterline length, beam and draft identical to the 310/309 so it looks more like a new deck moulding and internal changes than an all new hull. Looks to have the updated transom style of the 5 series and layout of the 309 updated to 5 series style, but I doubt that there is any fundamental difference in construction standard from the 310/309 which are pretty well made anyway. Details are now on the Catalina website.

Ian Adams
According to the Catalina website the 315 has, "a watertight StrikeZone™ collision bulkhead, the SecureSocket™ mast support system that affords superior load resolution and watertight integrity; the DeepDefense™ rudder system for failsafe steering, and the T-Beam MastStep™ structure that has all the benefits of a deck-stepped mast and the strength of a keel-stepped mast." The 315 has vertical battens. All of these improvements are high value to me. Most are construction upgrades.

The local Houston dealer, Josh Johnson, told me that 315 #1 was still in the factory in early January getting ready for the show in Chicago. He said although the dimensions are very close to the 309/310 hull, the 315 is a new hull. Josh seemed well informed. His contact info is +1 281 734 7703; Josh@Littleyachtsales.com

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Really? Really?

According to the Catalina website the 315 has, "a watertight StrikeZone™ collision bulkhead, the SecureSocket™ mast support system that affords superior load resolution and watertight integrity; the DeepDefense™ rudder system for failsafe steering, and the T-Beam MastStep™ structure that has all the benefits of a deck-stepped mast and the strength of a keel-stepped mast." The 315 has vertical battens. All of these improvements are high value to me. Most are construction upgrades.

... He said although the dimensions are very close to the 309/310 hull, the 315 is a new hull. Josh seemed well informed. His contact info is +1 281 734 7703; Josh@Littleyachtsales.com
So is this really new stuff or just new marketing terms. Buy the boat if you like, but for me this sounds a bit like some smoke being blown somewhere. I have owned 2 Catalina's and they have both been good boats, but I really doubt this boat is all that different.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Agreed - sounds like marketing hype. Hard to imagine it's a new design with precisely the same hull spec's and rig dimensions as the 309.

Sep 29, 2008
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Don't like the instruments off to the side, the rear cushion placement is a little odd. I do like the interior layout, except the bottle neck between the dog house and the counter.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Witzend said:
Don't like the instruments off to the side, the rear cushion placement is a little odd. I do like the interior layout
I thought the same thing. I can see them going overboard first time out unless there's some secret snap system like on our stern perch cushions. I agree about the interior. I like the quarter berth cushion. Looks more mattressy. Comfortable but would be a pain in the aft to move it around to get underneath.

Still nice looking.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Okay the strike zone is something pretty cool, if you sail in areas where you might hit floating containers. More than just a sales feature as is the mast step. After that, I was not impressed with the boat, and spent little time on her at the Chicago show. The V-berth is back to a normal V, with no place to stand and dress unless you pull out the filler. You have to crawl into bed and close the door. Don't get me wrong it is a nice boat, with a couple nice features, but over all our 310's are a much nicer boat down below for a couple. If I were to switch at all it would be for the 355, now that is a boat, and yes correct a nice update to the older C-34. But with all new things, the pain of the price will keep me away for a few years. I looked and looked and Catalina is still a hard boat to beat. Hunter is looking like an RV inside, and other makers have priced themselves out of the market (well my market) for $200k 30'-33' boats. I bought a new air floor dingy with motor and called the show a success.

Sep 29, 2008
Details?

Okay the strike zone is something pretty cool, if you sail in areas where you might hit floating containers. More than just a sales feature as is the mast step. ... If I were to switch at all it would be for the 355, now that is a boat, and yes correct a nice update to the older C-34. ... Hunter is looking like an RV inside, ...
OK, What is the strike zone? is it a piece of kevlar matt molded into the bow or something like that?

What is the deal on the mast step?

I really could not decide, if money was no object, between the 445, 385 or the 355. They are all really sweet boats. Last year I think it was on the Hunter E36 I touched a lamp socket in the ceiling and the stupid thing fell out and I could not get it back in. Finally the broker said to just leave it and he would fix it. I guess it is ok for all the lights to all out in a big sea.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
The strike zone is actualy a water tite section (false bow within a bow) that will hold water if the hull gets a hole in the forward section. Nice feature, more lost space I guess, but only a few inches. The mast step seemed to be a more fitted mast step / plate is all.

Dec 26, 2008
Bristol 30 Long Island Sound
Another review:

The newest boat in the 5 Series from Catalina Yachts is the 315, and she carries the big-boat features of her larger, award-winning sisters, the 445 and 335. The low-profile cabin reduces windage, while the wide deck allows safe movement forward. An oversized traveler and winches ease sail handling from the cockpit in all conditions.

Always attentive to ideas and suggestions from Catalina owners, the company’s design and engineering team laid out the cockpit for efficiency and visibility from the helm, with clear sightlines to instrument pods from either side of the boat. The 315 is available with a fin keel (6’ 3” draft), but coastal sailors will opt for the wing keel (4’ 4” draft). Sail area with a 135% Genoa is 589 square feet.

http://boatinglocal.com/reviews/catalina-yachts-315-joins-5-series.html

Status
Not open for further replies.