Catalina 310 wing keel draft?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have a 3 cylinder Yanmar 29 hp unit on haul #44, there has been other units with yanmars it just luck of the draw when the boat was made and what motor was on site.
Interesting. I have never come across an owners manual with a Yanmar. Any chance it was a repower by a previous owner?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
No what happen was it was to be shipped to Japan but ended up in Vancouver BC in 2000, the Yanmar was installed as the foot print is the same only the mounts are different. There are other small changes like idle is at 800-900rpm vibrations are less (been on other 310's).

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
No what happen was it was to be shipped to Japan but ended up in Vancouver BC in 2000, the Yanmar was installed as the foot print is the same only the mounts are different. There are other small changes like idle is at 800-900rpm vibrations are less (been on other 310's).
I can see that. I never idle below 900 rpm.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My 2001 shoal draft measured 4'9" to the factory waterline, 4'11" to our weekender weight and 5'1" to our cruising waterline. So weight is the big factor. For the 310 it is depressed one inch for every 1,082 pounds of weight you put on the boat (this includes the people too).

Just as a sales pitch for the 310, ours just survived two category 5 hurricanes. One by running and one tied in a slip. We have sailed ours from Boston to the Caribbean and still love our boat!

Let us know if you have any questions.
Glad to know you and your boat survived the hurricanes. Our cruising draft when transiting from FL to MA and back was about the same as yours.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
We have a 3 cylinder Yanmar 29 hp unit on haul #44, there has been other units with yanmars it just luck of the draw when the boat was made and what motor was on site.
I would much prefer a Yanmar 3 cylinder to my 2 cylinder. Great little engine but really could use more HP especially with the strong currents in GA and NE. FL. We might repower eventually with a 3 cylinder...
bob

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
Called Catalina, left a message, no reply.

Called a local Catalina dealer and here's the skinny.
The first hulls out of production were 4'10" draft, even though the brochure states 4' for the wing keel. I think he said there was a law suit and a lot of the first hulls were retro fitted with a shorter keel under warranty. They ended up being more in the 4'6" range. He wasn't sure of the exact hull number but was guessing by around 125 they redesigned the keel trunk and got it down to 4'4". There ya have it, so know if someone chimes in with hull #200 and has a 4'10" wing keel all bets are off.
I have a friend with a 320 and this is the story he was told about the draft on his boat, he has the shallow bilge and deeper keel. I think Our 310 #222 drafts around 4’10” but it has been a few years since I measured it on the hard (I have tested it a few times on the soft sand of Choctohatchee Bay).

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Catalina specs say 4' 4". I can attest that my boat stops (same Choctawhatchee Bay) when the depth gauge cycles from 4 to 3 ft ft. Given the location of the transducer, 4" 4" sounds right.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2010
Planning to get bottom paint sometime in the next six weeks so I will have a chance to double check the draft......

Dec 5, 2010
Planning to get bottom paint sometime in the next six weeks so I will have a chance to double check the draft......
Confirmed 4' 4" draft for the wing keel, +/- 32" from the hull to the bottom of the keel during the haul out this week.
I was drafting and 4' 6" if you count the barnacles that were growing on the bottom of the keel...as you know bottom paint just does not seem to stay there long.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Good to know. Nice picture of the spinnaker on Rummerful. I've seen that spinnaker somewhere. Oh, yeah, it is on Amazing Grace!

Dec 5, 2010
Good to know. Nice picture of the spinnaker on Rummerful. I've seen that spinnaker somewhere. Oh, yeah, it is on Amazing Grace!
I know you are enjoying it....I miss that sail so much I just ordered a new one to have in time for the BBSC single handed race. :)

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Last Haul Out measure from bottom of boot stripe to bottom of keel. 4' 10"
Used laser to get bottom of keel back to tape.