Catalina 310 Spinnaker Crane

Feb 2, 2013
Beneteau 351 Bluewater Bay
I am designing a new spinnaker crane for my Cat 310 #282. Pictures are attached. I am looking for some feedback. The 6061-T6 aluminum crane is 9" long. It will fit over masthead crane weldment, use forestay pin through sidewalls and reuse four screws that hold existing crane. The existing SS crane will be reused to attach to the forward top of new crane.
Draft install procedure is:
1. Remove headsail
2. Loosen forestay at lower turnbuckel
3. Go to top of mast with new crane.
4. Tension roller fuller halyard to "lift" furler against headstay top fitting. Idea is to tighten headstay just enough to take tension off the pin. Remove pin.
5. Slide new crane over masthead weldment. Install pin and four screws.
Install procedure is real question since need to remove forstay pin at mast head to install new crane. Thanks

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Just let me know when you want to go up the mast. I'll show up to help and see first hand how it goes together. Maybe we can get a group deal on the fittings!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I can't be there to help, but would sure like to jump on the crane bandwagon. Currently my spin hal exits the mast below the forestay, I would really like a proper crane to use the A-sym as intended, outside the forestay.
Keep us posted on the process and progress.

Cheers
dj

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Assuming you are climbing the mast, get up the mast prior to loosening the forestay, Once up on top, use the spinnaker AND jib halyards as a temp. forestays. Once they are in place and tensioned, you can loosen the forestay and mess with the pin.

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We are "Looking" at an Asym with a snuffer sock-used, depends on if the price is RIGHT..
We have a second halyard that we will use to hoist the asym and fly it-that should work right?