Catalina 310 owners...time to sound off

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim McCarty

Sailboat number 3...my wife and I just put the order in for a 2005 310 (with a 150 genny and in-mast furling). I've owned two Hunters previously (27' and 30') and they've been wonderful boats, but, for the money on a new boat, I really liked the standard items on the 310. I've read the reviews, and (most) are positive, however, I would just like to update my information. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

B

Bob James

You will love it

Hull number 118 - Winter Dream'n - 4 seasons, 180 nights, over 1000 nm, 100 hrs. We love it. Went to the Cleveland boat show a few weeks ago and reinforced our decision that the 310 is the best boat for us. Highly recommend that you join both the 310 International Association and the SAilNet sponsored 310 owners group.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C310

Bob has it right...the 310 is a great boat, although I opted for a 320 because of more headroom. You'll love your new boat and Catalina quality, and be amazed at all the goodies that are included as 'standard.'

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Happy Happy

As a 2000' C310 owner, my biased opinion is that it gives you great bang for the buck. I just looked at the Hunter 33 at the boat show and was not impressed by it, compared with the C310. I also took another look at the C320. We originally wanted a C320, but could not see sleeping in the dungeon… I mean aft cabin;). We've been greatly satisfied. About the only flaw is that the jib sheets want to unsnap the lower aft corners of my dodger. But I figure that’s the price I pay to have the jib sheet winches mounted well aft for easy single-handing. And I don't have to have turning blocks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C310 Dodger Bashing from Jib Sheets

Jon If your jib fair lead track is long enough and far enough aft, have you considered adding a second set of standup fair lead blocks on each side? This should move the jib sheets away from your dodger. The PO of our boat did just that. Nice boat! Stu

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Stu, 2nd block set

I've had my eye open for just such a solution for a long time, but haven't seen the right item. The problem is that the blocks (cars?) would have to be fairly tall, and non-swiveling to get outboard and high enough to get the proper lead over the coaming. What are you using?

Feb 26, 2004
C310 Lead Blocks

Jon We have "dual wide" Schaeffer blocks forward, and Garhauer stand-up (spring loaded) blocks aft. With the plethora of block manufacturers available, the issue is ONLY what your track size is and what material you want for the sheaves, bearings and cheeks. It's really your choice and has no bearing (whoops, no pun intended) on what you choose from what's available. Also, seriously consider Garhauer, great stuff, great price. In fact, ya wanna choice, go Garhauer!!! Stu

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
The problem is...

With swiveling or pivoting blocks, the lead pulls too far inboard and rubs on the side. A car at the aft end of the track brings the lead lower and rubs the top of the coaming. I need a block that won't pivot inboard, and is tall enough to clear the coaming top. The closest I've seen may be the Harken Tri-roller series (see link). I haven't seen one in person though. BTW, the problem isn't as bad on the starboard side because the line comes into the outboard side of that winch. I don't mean to go on so much about this. I feel fortunate that this is the only slightly irritating problem I have.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Missing Photo

Trying again. Photo with car all the way aft.

K

Ken

I love mine!!!

Here is a review I submitted to another website: 2004 Cataliana 310 Hull #282 The perfect balane of amenities, Sailing ability, price and quality. I recently traded in my Cal 2-25 that I really loved after 2 foot itis at the Dallas Winter Boat Show in 2004 got the best of my wife and I. If you are looking for a boat that has a large cockpit, airy and roomy salon, easy sail handling and great performance-the 310 is a very good choice. SAILING ABILITY: Even though I have been sailing for almost 10 years I still feel I have much to learn. I started sailing with a friend on his Alberg 30. My first boat was a Spirit 6.5, then the Cal 2-25 and now the Catalina 310. The 310 sails very well for a cruser type sail boat. In light winds its not uncommon for us to go out with winds of 10 knots or less-I'll unfurl the 150 Genoa and leave the main down and still sail along at 2 to 3 knots. In heavy air she seems rock solid because I opted for the Fin keel (6.3 ft draft) and the wide beam. If I keep the sails trimmed properly I can keep full sail up (sometimes rolling in the 150 a turn or two) in winds up to 20 knots. Over 20 I reef the main and the genoa and sail along just fine. The 310 is not a racer but will hold her own in local "Beer Can" regattas. (I actually took third place in Dallas Race Week 2004 in Main and Jib). What I like Best about the 310: *Big Cockpit *Open Salon with non traditional interior *Brand Name equipment-Lemar (44's) winches, Dutchman sail flaking system, Schafer Rolling Furling, Alder-Barber Refer, etc. *Interior amenities-Soild surface Counter top-Catalinas verison for Corian, Great Head layout, Forward cabin-WOW innerspring matress, Hangin locker lined in cedar, swinging TV mount *Storage-Plenty everwhere * Design and looks-not to "Modern", not too "old fashioned" What I don't Like: * Nav station is small (but for where I sail-Lake Ray Hubbard-I use line of sight anyway-IF in the gulf or whatever I bet your navigate from the cockpit anyway *Some fit and finish not perfect-mainy in the fiberglass-all minor cosmetic. Interior Woodworking is outstanding. * there is a engine virbration at idle-Around 800-900 rpm once you set it for 1000 it goes away What I added: Three blade crusing prop (Great choice for manvering), AC/Heat installed by my dealer, Raytheon ST60 Wind/Depth/Speed, Half Bimini, Fin keel, 150 Genoa, White "Leatherette interior, TV mount, Lexon compaionway doors, Canavas package, VHF radio with Ram mic at Helm station, AM/FM CD player What I'll add next: Auto Pilot and Chart plotter Spinaker gear for Asymentical Please visit my website for more info or to contact me: http://kgezella.tripod.com/ Thanks Skipper Ken S/V "Juliet"

K

Ken

One more thing

My dealer (Inland Sailing-GRERT FOLKS) set me up ith the Factory Tour (Photos on my webite in previous post) while my Hull was on the production line. Its Free and Awesome in Largo, FL You defintely need to go. Ken S/V Juliet Hull #282

Feb 26, 2004
Ouch

John Now I see your issue. The track unfortunately doesn't go far enough aft. IF the pin holding your dodger aft port corner is only a pin type, why not consider replacing that one pin, and getting one with a turn lock on it to keep the dodger corner down, and then putting extra leather for chafe protection on that corner of the dodger. I haven't seen a block that'll solve your problem. Only other thing I can think to do is to mount a fixed block aft of the track as a permanent fairlead. Also, what have other C310 owners done? Good luck, nice boat, enjoy Stu

T

Trevor - SailboatOwners.com

John, you need an aft fairlead

Hi John - Your photo illustrated your problem with the genoa fairlead and the dodger well. Stu is right, you need to either extend your track or simply add a stationary fairlead block just aft of the track to lead the sheet around the dodger. Alternatively, it might be easier to trim the corner of the dodger and add a new snap just above the sheet. In any case, I can see how this would be annoying; it would be worth the time to apply a solution in order to avoid that nagging feeling of an arrangement that's just "not right". Best, Trevor

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Double Duty

As Trevor points out, you need some sort of turning block further aft - either on your existing track, or mounted otherwise. This would serve to keep the sheet down close to the deck further aft and keep it out of the way of the dodger, while still providing a proper lead angle to the winch. A idea that comes to mind is that whatever you mount further aft could also do double duty as a block for an Asymetrical spinnaker when you are ready. If you installed a (reenforced) pad eye and then mounted a double block just forward of your sternrail, you could route a sheet from the genoa and from your Asym to the winch. Good Luck Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks to all...

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments on the 310, and bringing up issues along the way. I too plan on adding a dodger/bimini combination, and, perhaps when the time comes, I can discuss the jib car/fairlead problem with the canvas guy. I do know that, on my still current boat (Hunter 29.5), I have a dodger...the sides roll up for easier sailing, and handling of the jib sheets. Thanks again and keep 'em coming...

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Catalina 31 0vs Hunter 22

hi John, What was it about the Hunter 33 that you didn't like? Thanks

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
BarryL

It wasn't so much that I didn't like the Hunter 33, It's just that I didn't feel it offered much, if anything, more than the C310 (except a longer waterline). Especially for the $109,000 asking price. Also, personally I'm not a fan of Hunter's B&R rigs. I feel the B&R design and the arch is intended to simplify sail handling without doing much to improve efficiency or performance. The interior was Ok, but I usually don't have many people below, so the slightly larger salon didn't do anything for me. And when I went to look in the forward cabin I hit my head immediately. I'm only 5' 11' at best. This doesn’t happen on the C310, but of course the forward cabin is where you sleep on our boat. It's larger. I'm also not a fan of aft cabins in these sized boats. The bunk is usually mounted very low to maximize headroom. This tends to make them harder to get out of. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. The galley did seem a little bigger, but I think the fridge was an added option. I prefer a boat with what I consider basic equipment included in the base price. The woodwork looked pretty good. And I do like the idea of a cored hull above the waterline. I do have one pet peeve with Hunter Marine. They don't use the standard method to calculate the sail area that they publish. They include their large roach, which inflates the figure. This makes comparison with other boats more difficult. You need to use the I, J, P, and E, dimensions and calculate it yourself. For example, Hunter publishes actual sail area of 625 sq. ft. If calculated the same way Catalina and most other brands do it, it would be 457 sq. ft. for the H33. The C310 is spec'd at 494. I'm not discounting the hunter roach, but most non-furling mains have some roach. Now before anyone gets upset, all my opinions are just that. They're base on what I like in a boat. Hunters are fine boats. I just feel the C310 is designed for what I like. More room in the forward cabin, larger head, and a decent galley at the expense of a smaller salon. It also has great standard equipment. BTW- I did have a "DUH" moment at the boat show when I was looking at the Hunter. I noticed two good size winches towards the aft end of the cockpit. "What are these for?" I asked the saleswoman. "For the jibsheets" she replied. DUH! I always thought of the Hunter rig as having smallish jibs that sheeted to the cabin top winches or something. As it turned out these winches were an extra cost option.

K

Ken

My Hunter 33 experience

I have a similar opiinion of the NEW 2005 model of the 33. It seems that to reduce the base price of their line up they have "Value Engineered" their boats. Yesterday I was at the boat show in Dallas and here are just a couple of my observations: Catalina 310 25 hp diesel Hunter 33 18 hp Catalina 310 Primary Winch size #44 Hunter 33 #30 Catalina 310 Nice wood on walls Hunter 33 glued on vinyl (not well done either it had wrinkles all in it) Catalina 310 Interior Cabinet Wood Work-Solid Hunter 33 Particle Board I am not bashing the Hunter but I have been told they are doing this (Value Engineering) and word is so is Beneteau to get more competitive on price. Just my observations-BTW my Neighbor has a 1980s Hunter 31 and he regularly kicks my but in the local races and his boat is well built. Ken

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
C310 racing

As some people may know, I've been a little critical of the C310's racing performance, but today we had a positive experience. Went out for a couple of laps around Lake Union for the "Goose Bump" race. This is a no handicap, run what you brung, casual race. We had quite a dual with a Yamaha 30 or 33, I'm not sure which. I think it was a 33. In any case these boats are not slouches, and rate faster than us. This one had nice laminate racing sails, and flew their spinnaker, which we did not. Conditions were around 10 knots of wind gusting to 18. We kept crossing tacks and passing each other all the way. But we managed to cross him on port tack just before the finish and cross the line ahead. A few minutes later we exchanged greetings, and I mentioned I might take our dodger down for next week's race:) He commented that we had a pretty quick boat, or was it the skipper. Not the skipper I assured him.

K

Ken

I agree

I agree-The 310 is more Cruser than racer. We still have fun and the boat moves-it would move better if I were a better skipper I'm sure. Ken S/V "Juliet" Hull #282

Status
Not open for further replies.