Catalina 30 tall rig, cutting off keel 9 inches,

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Bruder

This is a question we would like to ask since we are considering buying a Tall rig with a 5'3" draft and that is too deep for our sailing area. HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE CUTTING OFF THE KEEL 9 INCHES ? If so how did you do it ? What were the results in sailing, and handleing ? How did you do it ? Did you add ballast and if so how? I would appreciate any information along these lines anyone could share with me. Thank you ! my e-mail address is gjsail@earthlink.net....John Bruder

R

RP

Keel replacement

INHO, I don't think it would be a good idea to just cut the keel. The size and weight of it was designed to work with the boat. You could be creating an unsafe situation by dong this. You can either find another boat with a wing keel and buy that one which would suit your cruising ground properly, or you can buy a wing keel from Catalina and have it installed in place of the fin after you purchase this one. It might be easier, however, just to find a boat that fits your needs better. Another question, is a tall rig proper for Florida winds?? If your area usually has light winds, then a tall rig is the option you would want. If winds are heavy, then a standard rig would suit you better. I sail on the Chesapeake, so my boat is a tall rig w/wing keel.

B

Brian

consider this

I just gotta add a worthless opinion. You might as well cut it all the way off and install a bigger motor. The balance of rig hull and keel are quite delicate. This can be seen in how little it takes to really affect boat control i.e. kelp (on the ruder or keel) or forstay or backstay adjustment. Fore and aft weight distrbution is as important as total ballest weight. I would think very carefully before taking a torch to my keel, tall rig or not. Personnally this is a big reason for chosing a swing keel as I sail lakes, ocean, and plan to sail the Califonia Delta area.

D

David Shogren

Shorten Keel 9 inches.

I had my keel cut off 9 inches and replaced with a bulb. The work was done by Navy point Marine in Sackets Harbor NY. The bulb was designed and supplied by Mars Metal in Burlington Ont. Canada. the result was fine. No noticable sailing difference although I don't race.

Status
Not open for further replies.