Catalina 30 rudder upgrade

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by 85bittersweet, Mar 4, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. 85bittersweet

85bittersweet

Joined Jan 25, 2018
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    Bittersweet Us Bristol
    I thought Id share my rudder rebuild. it's been the best upgrade I've done so far. Boat handles so much better. I add 3 inches to the top front and 4inchs to the bottom. Trimmed about 1 1/2 off the back tapered up to the middle. I was told to make it look like a orca fin.

Attached Files:

Ward H likes this.
  2. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    2,273 posts, 497 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    @85bittersweet
    Looks great!
    What year is your C30? Were you copying from another boat's rudder? If not, how did you come up with the idea?
    Thanks

3. 85bittersweet

85bittersweet

Joined Jan 25, 2018
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    Bittersweet Us Bristol
    Bittersweet is a 85. I just did some searching for upgraded rudder' s. I read that increasing front of post 15 percent helped lighten the steering but more affected the backing. I used the 2 part foam they sell at home Depot for setting posts. It worked well. Easy to shape. I had a guy fiberglass it because I have never done that before but after watching him I would do it myself. Boat handles so much better. Doesn't want to round up when overpowered

4. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    2,273 posts, 497 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.