Catalina 30 Mk II purchase - blisters?? leaks??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MdStef

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 29.5 Arnold, Md
I am considering buying a 1991 Catalina 30 mk ii, but two things of concern came up in the survey, and I would love some opinions on whether I should go forward with the purchase or run the other way.

First, the current owner had some blisters repaired (unknown how many) and bottom painted 18 mos ago, and the haulout and survey yesterday showed 6 blisters dime to quarter size and one about 4 inches.

Second, the surveyor found a leak in the chainplate that caused some wood rot in the portside bulkhead at the top and bottom, but no moisture indicated in the middle, just about 6 inches in and an inch or so down. A quick consult with one of the marina repair guys, indicated they could pull the chainplate and re-caulk it, then add a custom stainless steel plate on the bulkhead for extra support for about $500.

I think the boat is priced well, it has new sails, new canvas, new head, new refrigeration, new interior cushions and new running rigging. Is there any reason to shy away from it due to the blisters or leaks? This is my first boat, and we plan on sailing it on the Chesapeake and Magothy rivers. Thanks for you help!!!:)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Three reasons:
1. blisters are not ordinarily a show-stopper but if it had some, now has some, it will continue to have them until the hull is peeled and re-done. A big head ache.
2. damage due to one chainplate leak is indicative of improper maintenance on all chainplates which may and likely will lead to future problems.
3. There are too many used boats for sale and particularly C30s as well as a number of equal or better choices from which to choose in this market so why take the chance?

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
It's 20 years old and in brackish water, 6-8 blisters would make me smile, I've seen these with over 60 softball sized blisters, looked like pimples, requiring invasive work. From what you describe, if the price is decent, grab it. You will be hauling out for a new bottom job in a couple years and you can deal with them then. the chain plate leak is common and not a deal breaker either. Everything on these boats will leak or break at some point, but are all fixable. The Mark II is an awesome boat you will enjoy for years.

Jul 19, 2011
Jenneau 27 Rented
Did you end up buying this boat?

I am curious because we are looking at something quite similar and are worried about the same exact things. What did you end up doing and what were your reasons? The one we are considering may even be the same boat you were looking at. It sounds identical.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
By the time the Mark II boats came out, in all Catalina lines, serious blistering of a structural nature was a thing of the past. Small blisters occur on nearly every boat I've seen or discussed with owners. None of them are structural. Pop 'em, dry 'em out a bit, epoxy or barrier coat over 'em, paint 'em and go sailing.

Chainplates, as noted in the parallel topic, are a regular maintenance item. No reason not to rebed and start sailing.

Sounds like the boat has great stuff. New sails? Wow!

Jul 19, 2011
Jenneau 27 Rented
Question about chain plate repair

The seller/boat owner did not reset the chain plates, they just recaulked. Is this okay or adequate?

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I concur with all that chainplates are routine maintenance and for me with all the extra equipment installed, I would not walk away if its a great deal. Unless the leakage has caused major structual damage it would not be a deal breaker. Blisters are pretty much the same especially in a fresh warm water environmental where osmotic pressures are harder at work. Blisters are an easy fix and yes you can repair them yourself and gain alot of experience in the process. I know, because I had to fix over 700 of them on my older Hunter! I took that experience and fixed the seven or eight I found when I had my 1988 Mark II surveyed. It felt good.

You will be lucky to find that perfect, flawless boat in a used market. As stated before things will require maintenance and things will break and require fixing. Ah, the joys of boat ownership! The Catalina model your considering is a well made vessel. Unless the keel is falling off, the mast has sunk into the deck or the engine has spun off its mountings, if the price is right............it will be a decent buy. Remember all these repair costs are negotiable with the seller.

Good luck and good hunting

Bob
'88 Mark II C-30

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The seller/boat owner did not reset the chain plates, they just recaulked. Is this okay or adequate?
Not sure what you mean by "reset." Recaulked could be OK if done properly.

The real point is this: if you buy the boat, do it yourself and do it right. There are only six of them, and if it takes you a whole day, while you're learning how to do it, it'll be well worth it.

There is a ton of "chainplate rebedding" on the internet, as well as right on this website. Easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.