Catalina 30 cabin cushion material

Status
Not open for further replies.

zommer

Jun 17, 2010
Catalina tall rig lasalle park marina/Burlington bay Lake ontario
I own a 1984 catalina tall rig. The cabin cushions are covered in a blue with small orange flek, the material is original .I am searching for a source of this material to recover a damaged cushion.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I noticed recently upon reading our entire manual, that each and every part has a parts number, including cushions...... get the part numbers you need from your manual and call Catalina Yachts and I think you might have some luck!

A couple numbers that have been helpful to me, either google discovered or SBO assisted:

CatalinaYachts, parts department 818 884-7700 (Joe from this site provided this to me)
Florida number 727 544-6681(number above directed me to this number)

depends on what it is, they may direct you somewhere else but they are really helpful and really nice people. Good luck!

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Unfortunately all of those parts numbers from the 80's era C 30 parts manual are all out of date and no longer used. I tried to use those numbers years ago for several parts with no luck. On a previous Catalina, I also tried to purchase a single missing cushion with no success. Catalina - Direct only sells full sets of cabin & cockpit cushions. Get ready in crash position for the sticker shock - a new set of C 30 cushions from C. D. will set U back over $3K!!!!! As far as matching 30 year old fabric, why bother when its usually threadbarren & worn out anyway. My advice: I bought two full bolts of Sunbrella fabric I found hidden in the Wallmart's that still sell fabric for under $200. A serious cost savings - my wife stitched all new cushions for me, (with the incentive of a new digital sewing machine), & we came out way ahead. For less than $400 total investment we have a new cabin interior that would've cost me over $2k to do professionally. Check out the before & after pics on my page, if U don't believe me! My 2 cents worth. ps. If U want to only replace 1 cushion look for a vinyl covered cushion at a second hand chandlery - cost should be under $50. The replacement cushion foam at the fabric stores will easily cost that much. Cheers.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Good to know jrowan, wow, that is a very high price for cushion replacement...but if it really is a full set,......well, that's alot also!

Regarding not pursuing the original fabric, I disagree completely. We have the same fabric that Zommer described and they are really in great condition (we have a 1988) and really comfortable, soft, warm, not hot, etc. I know sunbrella fabric is nice, we have it on our outside cushions, but for inside, the original ones are my preference and will last and last if taken care of. I have seen links to that particular fabric on this site so Zommer continue searching, you will find it, and it will be worth it if you need some to add to what you have. I would be doing that if in your position. No disrespect to your new interior Jrowan, just like what we have very much.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Regarding the price for a full set of C-30 cushions, when I was shopping for mine, quotes over $4500 were the norm. These were from custom shops, one wanted to charge me $65 for the quote!! They were dismissed forthwith.

I can't say for an 80's vintage boat but in the mid 70's Catalina was buying all their cushions from Johansen & Christensen in Irvine, CA. After Tom Christensen passed they continued on under the name Johansen & Company although I expect Eric Johansen has long since retired. Their manager continues in the boat upholstery/cushion business to this day (well at least up to about 4 years ago when last I spoke with her). These are good folks, I've known them for 35 years.

I think this is her contact information (capital T on Think):

Johansen & CO
31885 Corydon Street # 120
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530-8502

Vicky is the former J & C manager and now the heir to the throne if you will. She might be the source you're looking for.

Note that I invited Vicky to do my cushion replacement and she declined due to overwhelming obligations. I respected that, would rather be told the truth. I wanted to make it clear she was not one of the $4500 gang.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I purchased new foam from Army-Navy, New fabric from Joanns and my wife sewed a new set using the old as the template, for under $250. No more mildew odor associated with old foam is present.

DanM

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 30 Galveston Bay
I have the same mid-80's blue with gold fleck fabric in my C30 and I have never found the exact material to make repairs with. In my case the material is easily damaged at this point in it's life, so I'm due for new cushions.

BTW Sunbrella makes a furniture fabric that gives you the warm, soft feel you would expect for interior cushions. In fact, Cobolt (PN#40107-0013) available at Sailrite for instance would be a close match to the fabric we're talking about, at $25.50/yd! Yikes! I seem to remember hearing that you need about 40 yards for an interior rebuild so there's $1000.00.

It's a very different feel from the standard Pacific Blue Sunbrella you use for exterior covers though is my point I guess.

My plan is to by good foam and I'll probably by the cover material at a fabric store however.

DanM.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
DanM, good to know that there are new soft pile fabrics made by sunbrella, they are amazing but yes, so is the price. I re-covered a sofa years ago with a beautiful material that would work well for interior boat fabric. I think it would be very possible to find a nice heavy soft good quality material at a good fabic wholesaler...just takes some looking. BTW, we had a water leak yesterday, and upon searching for the source we had all of the cushions out of the aft berth and with them all stacked in the middle of the boat I realized that there are alot of cushions on this boat an no matter what, it is alot of yardage! Lucky for us, our cushions from 1988 look like brand new!

zommer

Jun 17, 2010
Catalina tall rig lasalle park marina/Burlington bay Lake ontario
thanks for your input but I am trying to track down if original material is still available.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
thanks for your input but I am trying to track down if original material is still available.

I think you're smart to do that if you can find it. As I said, there is alot to cover if starting over and ours has obviously lasted really well, so it would not be a short term fix. I will see if I can find the old threads that mentioned where to get that material and post it for you if I can find it. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.