Registered users don't see ads

Catalina 270

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by Bob in Oregon, Feb 18, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Bob in Oregon

Bob in Oregon

Joined Feb 17, 2018
    1 posts, 0 likes
    catalina 270
    US Fren Ridge
    I am making some plans for the future. This will include a Catalina 270 on a trailer I can pull behind my truck.
    This will be new for me, today I sail a Catalina 22.

Any feedback on:
    Is a 270 difficult to trailer?
    Is the mast hard to step?
    Any lessons learned / thing to avoid?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Doug4bass

Doug4bass

Joined Jun 9, 2004
    608 posts, 62 likes
    Catalina 385
    US Marquette. Mi
    My first boat was a C-22, then I bought a new C-270. It was on a 2 axle Trailrite trailer.
    I did not have a tongue extension. The boat floated off, but we had to crane/ Travelift the 270 onto the trailer. The 270 doesn't come with a tabernacle, so you must crane to step. Not hard.
    The 270 had tons of room for a 27.

Attached Files:

3. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,474 posts, 1,615 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    @Meriachee is your man. He knows everything there is to know about trailering y’all’s boat.

4. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,442 posts, 618 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    What, me, worry?

DSC00437.JPG

5. catss

catss

Joined Aug 19, 2015
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 270
    US Olympia
    Howdy - we have a 270 we bought 2 years ago and really like, especially the open scoop transom. You can step into or out of your dinghy, go swimming easily, or sit there with you feet in the water on a hot day. I bought a trailer and brought it up to Olympia WA (Swan Town Marina) from Newport OR. Towed great, very stable. Our boat has the 5' draft, so it really needs to be craned into the water, but the winged keel has less draft and maybe could be trailered into the water??. We do not have a hinged step, but we are leaving the boat in the water now, so no big deal. Easy to step with the lift crane, but also easy to get a hinged mast step arrangement if you wanted to trailer it more (our original plan was to store it on the trailer in the winter, but we found we like to use it whenever, so we keep it wet all year long). -- I probably still prefer a steerable outboard and a tiller, like our previous Cat 27 had, it just seemed more maneuverable, but I am getting used to the diesel inboard and the wheel (boat just seems small for a wheel...). -- My only advice would be to have any boat you want to buy properly inspected and especially go over the standing & running rigging, furling, sails, engine, plumbing, wiring, electronics, batteries, thru hulls, bottom condition, really every detail, and overall condition, etc. I love our 270, great size for 2 or 3 people, but it needed way more work than we thought when we bought it...

6. Doug4bass

Doug4bass

Joined Jun 9, 2004
    608 posts, 62 likes
    Catalina 385
    US Marquette. Mi
    I might add that the 270 extrusion is heavy, especially with a furler attached.
    You would almost certainly have to crane it to step.
    As far as sailing, the only bad trait was the boat tended to round up in puffs if over canvassed. I reefed early. Maybe is was my bad trim job. :)
    Great boat.

7. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,442 posts, 618 likes
    Catalina 270
    Yeah the furler is a little unwieldy, and the mast is a bit heavy, but an adaptation of the raising system from an earlier boat makes it quite easy.
    Maybe not a universal sentiment, the process seems to always s draw a crowd.

Doug4bass likes this.
  8. Doug4bass

Doug4bass

Joined Jun 9, 2004
    608 posts, 62 likes
    Catalina 385
    US Marquette. Mi

Meriachee likes this.
  9. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,442 posts, 618 likes
    Catalina 270
    Thanks Doug. That's Friday night right there!

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!