Catalina 270 versus Catalina 250

Mar 2, 2018
Tanzer 22 Beaconsfield, QC
Hello. I an considering a used Catalina 250 with an 9.9hp outboard , however I saw an advertisement for a used Catalina 270 with inboard diesel and wondering if anyone has an idea of the cockpit size difference of the two boats. Basically I am interested if the number of people that each cockpit can accommodate for day sailing.
Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not familiar with either but is one a wheel vs tiller? That will make the cockpit seem roomier.

Mar 2, 2018
Yes the 250 has a tiller and the 270 a wheel?
Do you think this has to be moved to the buying advice forum?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The cockpit dimensions are on the catalina website. Or email them.

The 250 is narrower than the 270 by a foot or so. However, the 250 makes great use of space. Fantastically spacious interior for a 25 footer. Although you give up side decks.
The cockpits are similar in their crew capacity, and both have integrated stern seats. The 250 might feel a little more cramped with the narrower beam. The 270 gives up some space for the wheel, whereas you can lift the 250 tiller out of the way.
Both have walk-through transoms, but only the 270 had a swim step.
The 250 will be considerably less expensive to purchase, depending on year and equipment.
Also there are many advantages to an outboard for lake sailing.
Get the keel or wing keel version, not water ballast.
The 250 would be an outstanding lake sailor. Stunningly easy to sail, fast even in light air, and peerless accommodations in the size.
You have to remember that the 250 is about 2,000 lbs lighter than the 270, and combined with the narrower beam she will be noticeably tender.
She'll heel heavily in just moderate wind, and buck like a bronco in associated chop. A fair weather ocean sailor, but more than adequate for safe and comfortable lake sailing.

For a boat very much like the 270, but available in either diesel or outboard, plus less purchase cost, and faster than both the others, you might look at the Capri 26.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One of the true downsides of a 27 foot boat with an inboard diesel is access to the stuffing box. There simply isn't room to fit the engine, transmission, coupling, shaft and stuffing box without making access suitable only for left handed dwarfs.
I have seen this on earlier Catalina 25s and 27s with inboard engines. Even the superb Catalina 30 access is no great shakes. My boat has excellent access.
The reality is that, if difficult, maintenance will most like NOT have been performed.
I would urge you to carefully look at that aspect of the assembly. See if YOU can get to it and actually work on it.
Good luck, either is a good choice. The Catalina 25/250 association has a very good forum, much like this one, that is specific to those boats, with years and years of knowledge available to you. The C27/270 association does also, but seems less active than the 25/250.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
One of the true downsides of a 27 foot boat with an inboard diesel is access to the stuffing box. There simply isn't room to fit the engine, transmission, coupling, shaft and stuffing box without making access suitable only for left handed dwarfs.
I have seen this on earlier Catalina 25s and 27s with inboard engines
I would agree that access to the engine (especially, its port side) is somewhat limited, but access to the stuffing box is very simple and easy. I have the dripless shaft, so I don't need to visit too often, but if one needs to, it is pretty simple affair.

Btw. If C250 has a fantastic use of the space, i don't know what word to use for the C270. The C270 easily accommodates 2 for overnight and easily up to 6 on a day sail. There is enough room in the cockpit for 8, but i am not sure if that would not exceed the capacity (certificate).

As someone mentioned, there are different schools of thought for outboard vs. inboard and wheel vs. tiller. There are as many arguments for either as there area against.

E.g. space - some argue that tiller gives you more room in the cockpit (you can lift it up), but it requires substantially more room when underway (you regularly hit your passengers' knees).
Feel - you have more feel of the boat with the tiller than with the wheel; BUT it is substantially easier (for uninitiated) to steer the boat with a wheel (left is left, right is right)

Engine:
outboard - easier to repair and maintain (you can take it off the boat at take to a repair shop); but it can be easily overwhelmed in a bigger chop, especially, on a shorter boat (cavitation). Also, it has very limited charging capacity and it is more noisy.

inboard - easier for longer motoring, more power, higher range; BUT you need to contort yourself into small space to do any maintenance

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I would agree that access to the engine (especially, its port side) is somewhat limited, but access to the stuffing box is very simple and easy. I have the dripless shaft, so I don't need to visit too often, but if one needs to, it is pretty simple affair.

Btw. If C250 has a fantastic use of the space, i don't know what word to use for the C270. The C270 easily accommodates 2 for overnight and easily up to 6 on a day sail. There is enough room in the cockpit for 8, but i am not sure if that would not exceed the capacity (certificate).

As someone mentioned, there are different schools of thought for outboard vs. inboard and wheel vs. tiller. There are as many arguments for either as there area against.

E.g. space - some argue that tiller gives you more room in the cockpit (you can lift it up), but it requires substantially more room when underway (you regularly hit your passengers' knees).
Feel - you have more feel of the boat with the tiller than with the wheel; BUT it is substantially easier (for uninitiated) to steer the boat with a wheel (left is left, right is right)

Engine:
outboard - easier to repair and maintain (you can take it off the boat at take to a repair shop); but it can be easily overwhelmed in a bigger chop, especially, on a shorter boat (capitation). Also, it has very limited charging capacity and it is more noisy.

inboard - easier for longer motoring, more power, higher range; BUT you need to contort yourself into small space to do any maintenance
I was referring to lake sailing, given the OP's location.
Also, good use of space, for a 25 footer.
270: more space, better ocean vessel.
Btw the Honda 9.9 4-stroke, which many 250's came with, is very quiet. And it burns a gallon every 3 hours, on par with the diesel in a 270. It has a 12 amp alt on the electric start version; Borderline puny but more than adequate for day sailing as the OP stated, even weekends. I spent 5 days aboard in Catalina island years ago and didn't kill the battery. Not even start the motor to charge. No fridge etc of course, so not much to run but lights and stereo radio. Even if one accidentally runs the batt down, you can still pull-start the Honda.
On a small or medium lake, you don't need a diesel, and given the choice without the need, I'd choose an outboard on a lake.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The vast majority of 270 owners here, and the very active Yahoo group are passionate about the boats. The 270 has standing headroom, and is a superb platform in a compact size. One of the stated design criteria from Gerry was always that most people spend more time in the cockpit than anywhere else, so he's always paid a significant amount of time to that segment of the design. For us, we like the wheel steering, it's a great place to mount toys, table, drink and gadget holders, and provides yet another place for a quick grab in a pinch, without assembly or disassembly, which would, most of the time, be bypassed if the facilities had to be dug out of the lazarette.
Even if we do only use it most of the time for daysailing, we don't have to deal with pop tops or crawling around down below.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I have seen this on earlier Catalina 25s and 27s with inboard engines. Even the superb Catalina 30 access is no great shakes. My boat has excellent access.
The reality is that, if difficult, maintenance will most like NOT have been performed.
I would urge you to carefully look at that aspect of the assembly. See if YOU can get to it and actually work on it.
Good luck, either is a good choice. The Catalina 25/250 association has a very good forum, much like this one, that is specific to those boats, with years and years of knowledge available to you. The C27/270 association does also, but seems less active than the 25/250.
Could be true on the Catalina models. I have an Ericson 26-2 with a Yanmar 1GM and I have absolutely no problem accessing the stuffing box. For that matter, access in general for maintenance is no big deal.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I think we have 4 or 5 at the Club. But it is a fair hike to drive from Montreal to Ottawa just to see a boat. You must have them around Montreal, as well. One of the C270s from our Club was sold to Montreal a few years back.

Mar 2, 2018
Its a two hour drive from Montreal to Ottawa. The Catalina 270 I am contemplating is near Ottawa but in Quebec. Its covered up now and am waiting for the owner to call me when the snow starts melting and he will be able to uncover. So I am willing to drive 2 or so hours to see a boat. If anyone knows any other 270 or 250s for sale that are not too far from montreal I would love to get in touch with the owners. I was told that you guys have foot disease and need a bigger boat every year or so. I am game for the smaller one.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We don't have foot disease, although we've been observed in the neighbourhoods waving hockey sticks late at night when the snow stays too long. (like, mmmm, now)

Mar 2, 2018
There seem to be a big price difference between C250 and C270. Close to double the price