Catalina 27 scupper drains

Davidw

Jul 19, 2019
Catalina 27 Broad Creek
My 1985 Catalina 27 developed a leak from the cockpit drains, and I replaced them with 1 5/8" hose, but I cannot stop it from kinking. The hose has to make a 90 degree turn which always makes it kink. Is there any hose of this diameter that does not kink? Is there some sort of angled hose that I can use? If anyone has a solution to this problem I would really love to know it,

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A couple things come to mind. Does your hose have wire imbedded to prevent kink ??? /// How about at the auto parts store, a radiator hose manufactured with a bend in it? /// Put an elbow in two pieces of hose.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
Do you have 1 or 2 drains? What if you connect the starboard drain to the port through hull and vice versa?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might go in a different direction, try searching "cockpit drain fittings"
Here's one result of many when I looked"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The hose has to make a 90 degree turn which always makes it kink.
Perhaps the issue is the use of hose instead of pipe.
PVC pipe is an alternative. When choosing a tool for a 90degree turn you want to assure maintaining full flow of water. PVC pipe fittings for drain lines can be full flow design. It is often called a “sweep” elbow.
2566F6DF-D5EA-4E84-9E72-F1F9645DAD62.jpeg

A reinforced formed hose can also serve to accomplish the job.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Just to be the word cop in the discussion your 27 doesn’t have scuppers, it has drains. Drains connect to hoses or tubing. Scuppers are holes in the side of the boat (roof) that allows water to flow directly overboard (or off a roof)

Jul 21, 2016
catalina 27 Broad Creek, MD
Thanks for the input. I previously had avoided kinking, by putting some semi-flexible PVC pipe inside he hose - but the inevitable happened and it became blocked. I cannot find any reinforced (non-kinking) 1 5/8" ID hose, unfortunately, and I could not change the ID diameter with the boat in the water. I also can't find any angled PVC of that diameter. I will look at crossing the hoses or changing the drain fitting from the cockpit, but it has to go through a second hole in the fiberglass, and I don't believe an angled fitting would do this. If anyone has any other experience with this, please let me know - I am currently relying on the bilge pump to keep the boat from flooding!

Oct 22, 2014
It is helpful to see what you are challenged by. How about a picture of you system.

Jul 21, 2016
Unfortunately I can't take a picture at this point in time - because the boat is down on the Chesapeake and I wont be going down there for a couple of weeks (hence why I am pretty desperate to try to solve this issue of drain hose kinking!!). The best and easiest solution would be if anyone knows of a 1 5/8" ID hose that is reinforced so that it does not kink, but I will look into some of the other suggestions in this thread if not.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had to add elbows like John mentions to my improved drain system on the Mac26S.
The Hunter has an open transom so I never have to worry about drainage. Only items rolling out the cockpit and into the water. :cuss:

Jul 21, 2016
Thank you John, that is very helpful. With the help of some friends I was also able to find this on Amazon. It is a Pegasus silicone auto racing tube SHL-41 with an ID of 1 1/58 and said to be flexible. I will give it a try and, if it works, I will do a follow up post as it might be helpful for others.
Click image to open expanded view

Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
Be the first to review this item

Price: $41.95 + $6.99 shipping

Oct 22, 2014
David. That looks like it would work great as a straight line run. If you need to make the hose turn a corner before it exits the boat get a pre-formed hose to make the bend. That way you will maintain full flow around the 90degree turn. Reinforced hose so it maintains it's shape and does not collapse.