Catalina 250 Wing trailer

Aug 21, 2013
Catalina 250 Wing Beaver Lake - Starkey
Hi, I currently own a Catalina 250 wing keel. I've recently decided I want to do some traveling to the coast and sailing there or to other lakes (currently in Arkansas). I do not have a trailer for my boat and was wondering if people typically trailer this type of boat. Just in looking at listings, I don't see any wing keeled boats for sale with trailers.
So my question is, are there any problems with trailering this type of boat, and if not, then how would I find a suitable trailer? I know you can get them made, but the one place I looked into was asking around $5k. My alternative is to find another type of boat that has a trailer. Any thoughts?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Very little difference between a boat with a wing and a fin. (I'm sure I'll hear about that statement) The wing has a major advantage in that the boat can sit a lot lower on the trailer, making launching and retrieval easier. We don't need a crane anymore, except when there's salt involved. This trailer is not going in the big lake anytime soon.
dsc00437-copy.jpg

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My last boat O’day 240 wing keel came with a custom trailer. I only used it to launch in the beginning of the season and retrieval at the end. I would not want to use it to splash on a regular basis. It was a nice trailer. It had an large tongue extension and a custom mast raising system. The custom trailers are pricey.

Aug 21, 2013
Thanks fellas this is good information. The prices I’m seeing so far range from $3500 to over $5000. I’m weighing a few options like selling my boat and going with a more capable trailer sailer. That may be the more cost effective approach. I’m also wondering how I would like a water ballast boat. I’ve heard good and bad on both sides of that debate.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Buy the boat for the boat, not the trailer. If you’re happy with the 250, take whatever steps you need/want to make a trailer work for you.

Aug 21, 2013
I like the 250 for lake sailing. But if I start traveling with it, or doing some coastal cruising, it would need some additional equipment and may not be suitable even with that. Also, if I sell it, I can probably get close to what I bought it for. If I purchase a trailer, when I do go to sell them both someday, I wouldn’t get that cost back. Not sure I worded that right, but makes sense to me.

But yes, if I was in love with the 250 and it made a great trailerable coastal cruiser, then I would definitely take the hit on a trailer.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Consider that buying another boat comes with what ever that boat needs. If you like your boat I'd get the trailer made proper for her and enjoy. I know the 250 Wing Keel guys in our club lover their boats.