Catalina 250 modification from tiller to wheel steering

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You got me scared with your kittens for a while. But I have found out that humans have done worse for good sailing so maybe sacrificing a kitten is not too bad.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphigenia
I just don't understand how Agamemnon could keep offending god after god and still remain king, much less, stay alive. Sounds like modern times, don't it?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Add a tiller extension to the outboard that reaches the cockpit so you can control the throttle while steering from the cockpit. You can probably make an extension out of PVC that slips on and off and stores easily in a cockpit locker. Be sure to get a prop guard so you don't hit the propeller with the rudder.

-Will (Dragonfly)
None of this is required on this boat.
The motor does not contact the rudder. Catalina carefully designed the boat for the outboard. It's not an afterthought. There's a transom opening just for access to the motor.
When motoring, you sit on the stbd side in front of the motor. You can just reach over and control the throttle while steering with the tiller.
See pics -from the Internet, not my boat. The closeup shows the shifter sticking up in the front of the motor.

There is no problem operating the motor as is.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited: