Registered users don't see ads

Catalina 25 Trailer

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by MaryEllaRose, Nov 29, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    170 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    I'm looking at a Catalina 25 that's on a roller type trailer. All the trailer sailers that I've seen have been on bunk type trailers. The seller claims that the trailer is correct for the boat but I'm a little skeptical.

Wouldn't the rollers cause the weigh to be concentrated over a relatively small area and run the risk if damaging the bottom (oil-canning)?

If I buy this boat I'd been trailering a good 350 miles over some rough roads....

Tom G

2. chris mac

chris mac

Joined Jul 21, 2016
    13 posts, 4 likes
    san juan 7.7
    Ca stony plain alberta wabamun
    A friend has a Catalina 25, swing keel. His trailer is the roller type and hasn't had any problems. I know he has hauled it at least a couple hundred km at a time on at least 3 occasions. Hasn't seemed to hurt it at all.

3. TEM58

TEM58

Joined Apr 4, 2013
    14 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 250 K
    US Belton Lake, Belton, TX

4. MaryEllaRose

MaryEllaRose

Joined Sep 11, 2013
    170 posts, 18 likes
    catalina 22
    US Westland
    That's good to know...thanx for the info

5. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,440 posts, 303 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    If they are good rollers (wide tires) and there a bunch of them they actually distribute the weight over a larger area of the hull than bunks. I think the problem sail boaters have with rollers is that they provide far less friction than bunks, so if you forget to hook up your bow hook or lock the winch strap and smash the gas going up the ramp the hull might just slide off the trailer. I'm almost 100% certain you could easily find a youtube video of this happening in a heartbeat.

6. Chichester

Chichester

Joined Oct 11, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C-25
    US TN U.S.A Hendersonville
    Okay, I am a newbie. However, I got my C25 as is on the trailer. The bunk-type set-up, which I believe is what I have, is perfect for the lift job at a marina. Do bare in mind the that my boat is a fin keel. Trailer-ing a swing keel or wing-keel up and down a boat ramp might benefit more from the roller-type set-up. See my rig by clicking the link below. We towed it from the graveyard around 200 miles. She still looks happy with her bunk!
    https://rehabcatalina.blogspot.com/2018/01/welcome-aboard.html

7. Sanfelice

Sanfelice

Joined Jan 21, 2009
    172 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Lake Perry, KS
    Had a 1978 Cat 25 which came with an EZ Loader roller trailer, as did most of the swing keelers had around here. Make sure the boat is well connected to the trailer winch and locked in place when launching , otherwise the boat will fly off the trailer.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!