Catalina 22 towing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marky Marc

I'm getting ready to purchase a 1976 Catalina 22 with a trailer (with brakes) and motor. My concern is with my vehicle and it's ability to tow this boat. I own a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with 2WD, manual transmission and a 3500 lb (max) class II frame hitch. I was hoping to trailer the boat 45 miles to the lake and then launch, but have heard horror stories about transmissions, axles, etc. and am especially concerned because my vehicle's specs. seem weak compared to what I need. I've all but given up on this. If I store my boat at the lake in "dry dock", will my Explorer be able to handle trailing the boat for 1/2 a mile and launching? I have visions of my 2WD tires spinning continuously while my tranny goes Cheech and Chong as I get pulled back into the lake. Per my owners manual, the vehicle has a maximum Gross Combined Weight Ratio of 6000 lb. The car weighs 3600 lb, the boat weighs 2200 lb so I'm already at 5800 lb without the trailer, my fat a** and some beer. What problems do you foresee? Thank you!

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
You're underpowered

It is good the trailer has brakes. Make sure they work! Your vehicle may tow the trailer OK. The issue is stopping. Also a lot depends on the incline at your launch. If it is steep and the back wheels get wet you could be in trouble. By the way, your C22 is more like 2500 pounds and the trailer is about 1,000 pounds so you are way over the vehicles rating. My advice would be to borrow a friends pickup for the initial 45 mile journey and then rent a wet slip. You will do more sailing and enjoy it more too. If you are routinely going to tow then you really should get a more robust vehicle.

Jun 19, 2007
- - Long Beach, CA
I used to tow a 20' Grady White....

that weighed at least 3500 lb with the engine using my Bronco II XLT 4WD and the same towing package as your Explorer. I normally didn't tow it far, however. The Explorer is a bigger vehicle so I think you'll be OK; just don't go fast (45 mph). I did need 4WD to get the boat up slippery/steep ramps on recovery. BEO

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
3L aerostar van / Chevy S10

I had a Helsen 22 which is very simular to the Catalina 22. We towed it behind a Ford Aerostar with a 3 Liter. No speed records and no transmission troubles. I bought a Chevy S10 with the 4.3 liter and it towed the Helsen and later a Mac 26 with no problems.... We moved at highway speeds and towed the Mac 26 on several trips of over 400 miles. We lived in Tennessee and pulled over mountains. Brakes are essential as stopping is more of a concern than going. Also I put on transmission coolers which are cheap and easy to install. After I wrecked the S10 when a woman ran a redlight I bought a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the little 2.7L 4 cyclinder. It pulled the Mac 26 well. That little 4 has a lot of torque. The biggest problem is launching and retrieving and 4X4 can't be beat for that task. The scariest things was an idiot that pulled in front of me and immediately slammed on his brakes to turn... wet road and we almost wrecked. And once on a very steep ramp the Helsen drug the Aerostar down the ramp until the boat hit water. Trailer Surge brakes don't work in reverse!!!! I was in too much of a hurry and was backing down the ramp too fast...the ramp was wet. Obviously a larger tow vehicle with a larger engine will perform better. But for some towing at reasonable speeds you don't need a F350 diesel!!!! These little 4 and 6 cylinder modern engines have a lot of horsepower for their size.

Jun 16, 2005
- - long beach, CA
tow

I towed a C-22 with a '71 El Camino with no added extra tow package. Since I launched in saltwater, I removed the brakes from the trailer. I had no problems, but I didn't cross any mountains, either.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Be cautious

With all due respect to anyone who may disagree, the fact that some people have had no bad experiences with undersized tow vehicles is not really relevant. You must ask yourself if, with a vehicle that will be at least 1,500 lbs over limits (outboard, passengers, supplies, etc) whether you can do an emergency stop fully under control. The C22 trailer has only one axle. What if a tire blows out? Tongue weight is one thing but tongue weight wont help you if the trailer and boat combo (which will weigh more than your vehicle) starts pushing you all over the place. Traveling down the highway is no place to take chances. My two cents.

S

Scott

It sounds like you need to be in the market ...

for a tow vehicle as well. Once you have a towable boat, you won't want to be limited to where you can tow it. If you don't want the expense of a new SUV, I would suggest that you look for a used 4WD GMC Jimmy or Chevy Blazer. I've had 2 and the 6-cylinder vortec engine made me very happy on both models (1992 & 2000). The last one I had was still running great with over 200,000 miles (I prefered it over our current 6-cylinder Jeep Laredo for numerous reasons). I trailer an inboard ski boat with a tandem axle trailer that weighs more than the Catalina 22. The 4WD is very helpful if you get into a little bit of a jam, which can be very hard to avoid if you do enough trailering. I wouldn't want to be without it, although I also did fine with a 2WD Ford Aerostar van. A Class III hitch is a must when you are trailering that boat. Would you want to be liable if anything went wrong and you didn't have the proper hitch classification for the load?

D

Daryl

Get 'er Done

I owned a C22 for five years and towed it with a 4cyl standard Citation and a Caravan 2.2 liter. I only towed it twice a year about 14 miles each way with no trailer brakes and no problems. Go slow since you will find it is easier to tow than stop

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Tail wagging the dog

Trying to tow 3500 to 4500 lbs with anything less than a full size truck is dangerous. Yes the max towing capacity for a midsize truck is in the 4000 lb range, yes if nothing goes wrong you can get away with it. You wouldn't put to sea without pfd's, flares, etc, why would you go on the road and endanger yourself and everyone else with an underpowered, underweight, underbraked tow vehicle. Spend 5000 and get an older 3/4 ton pickup, it doesn't have to be pretty, It just has to get you to the launch ramp safely. 4wd is nice but if you put a couple hundred pounds over the axle you wont lack for traction on the launch ramp, you could even add a water tank in the bed, and after you haul out use the water to wash your boat instead of waiting in line with everyone else. Getting off soapbox now. Tim

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
My two cents

I tow my Hunter 23 (about the same weight as the C22) on a single-axle trailer with no brakes. My tow vehicle is a Nissan Titan pickup with the crew cab. Before that, I had a 2-door 4WD Chevy Tahoe. I chose those vehicles because I could put most of my gear (outboard, rudder, extra sails, gas tank, etc.) in the tow vehicle and keep as much off the trailer as possible. I agree with Tim on this one. An old diesel pickup makes an excellent tow vehicle. They're pretty affordable, the long wheelbase will improve stability when towing and diesel engines last forever. Never mind about the body work...as a matter of fact the rattier it looks, the less likely someone will break into it or steal it when you leave it unattended at the ramp. I saw one once with a hasp and padlock on the hood so no one could steal the battery. Oh, and make sure the climate control works. Good luck. Peter H23 "Raven"

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
you have 80% of your problem solved ;)

trailer brakes and a manual trans because the automatic trans in most exploders cant handle towing a canoe without repercusions. just keep your wits about you and pay attention to the way your vehicle handles the extra load

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
Just decide how much towing you will do

Your vehicle should be fine for towing. I prefer an automatic transmisson for towing as it is easier to get up the ramp. With a straight you will have to ride the clutch some to get moving. But unless you plan to tow a lot you should be fine. There was a doctor where worked that made way too much money. He used a F-350 diesel dually to tow his jet ski!!!! No joke. He also used the truck to tow a motorcycle trailer.. But a F-350 diesel could easily tow a stock trailer with 10 cows!!!! He was from Texas and liked trucks. Most of the time he used his truck like a car. But a Catalina 22 can be bought in the $5000 range and to go buy a new truck with all the related expenses could easily double the cost of you owning a sailboat. Even if you buy an old truck you are looking at several hundred a year for insurance and tags. If you are rich buy a Hummer that way if you back off the end of the ramp the snorkle will let you drive back up the ramp. Even better buy a duece and a half army surplus truck. Six wheel drive and a snorkle. My brother swore that he had water up in his seat crossing rivers in vietnam and the truck kept going. Dollars and sense. If you have some sense you can save some dollars.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Another opinion

Personally, if you have any plans to hit the freeway / exceed 40 mph, you are too small. Explorers have short wheelbases, the motors do not make much power at low rpms, squishy suspensions, and are a pretty unstable vehicle on its own. Remember the "firestone tire" recall? Even the force from a popping tire is quite capable of making your vehicle flip over. On the other hand, for a 1/2 mile tow to the ramp, you are perfectly fine. Just don't let the boat get any momentum (aka keep it slow). Launching is fine, because you dont have to pull the boat up out of the water. however, until you're comfortable, just ask someone with a big truck to be ready with a tow strap when you go to retrieve the first time. IMO you'll be fine (you do have good tires right??) I had a bronco 2 w/ 4x4 and a 5 speed. I used it to tow a 19' boat and that was about the most i'd be willing to take at highway speeds. for launching / retrieving that truck was incredible..such a tight turn radius, and in 4Low i didnt even need to use the gas pedal..quite nice to be able to go up and down the ramp in 4L with the car in 1st, feet on clutch and brakes. (Gravity does the down part) I then bought a hunter 23 and moved up to a $1600, 94 F150. FYI, maybe this is just me, but adding an occasional-use truck to my single-car insurance policy made my rates increase about $50 a year.

L

latest sea chase owner

towing C22 cross country

I just got back from a cross country trip from Maryland to Missouri towing a C-22 with a jeep liberty. My jeep has the factory towing package (5000#) and a V6-200hp-4wd-auto. The tailer (new from sail-trailers) has electric brakes. The short wheel base of the liberty did not cause any trouble. As an inexperienced tower, I was cautious, allowing plenty of braking room. The jeep downshifted to second frequently and I had to run uphill "with the trucks" on the long grades through the mountains. The trip was trouble free.

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
Take out of Overdrive

My S10 had a 4 speed automatic. The 4th was overdrive. When towing especially in the mountains I left it in 3rd. Supposedly the transmission shifting from third to overdrive and back repeatedly is bad.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Leave at Lake Pleasant?

You might want to leave your boat on the hard at Lake Pleasant. It would be in good company with many other sailboats there at Pleasant Harbor Marina and the launch ramps are excellent which is a plus for a tow vehicle like yours. Also, see www.arizonayachtclub.org for information on local sailing if you havn't yet made contact. RK

Status
Not open for further replies.