catalina 22 swing keel mounting bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Ramsey

I have a chance to buy a 1977 catalina 22 that has one of the left side keel mounting bolts missing and the other left side bolt part the way out and bent. My question is if either of the bolt holes are stripped can I clean out the hole and tap threads for a larger bolt or if not what will be required to repair the problem. There doesn't appear to be any hull damage. Thanks, Bill Ramsey

S

Stu Jackson C34 1986 #224

C22 Association

Bill Have you tried the Catalina 22 Association website? Stu

B

Bayard Gross

C-22 weldments

Bill: I have two web sites for you and another from Ted here. The first web site has a drawing by Catalina of the keel mounting area showing the placement of the weldments in the hull. The purpose of this drawing was to show how the location of the weldments and a fashion in which they could be replaced. The second web site shows some photographs of removing and reinstalling a weldment. The third site shows how Ted here used a drill press to drill out his weldments. On the Sail Net site, there was a recent discussion regarding replacing weldments. Apparently the consensus there is that the weldments are too thin to be drilled out and re-tapped for a larger bolt. I believe Ted here used a helix coil after he re-tapped his weldments, but there is more information on his site. The accepted practice concluded on the Sail Net site is that stripped weldments or ones in which a bolt has broken off need to be cut out and then new ones glassed in requiring a very precise alignment for the surrounding fiberglass. This is tricky stuff, but apparently doable. Finally, there is the possibility, but untried as of yet as far as I know, of drilling through the weldments inside into the cabin and then have the keel bolts go up through the hangers and then into the cabin secured with nuts with large washers as the fashion on a fixed keel boat. The concern with this method is the potential for a serious leak if one of the bolts broke. However, I think one could cover the nuts and washers with a removable wood cover made water tight with an epoxy resin epoxy seal around its edges around the hull. The epoxy could be easily broken away to remove the cover and expose the nuts and washers for future keel removal. This should eliminate the leak issue, yet provide for easy future keel removal. Here is the link for the drawing from Catalina. After you get it, just place your cursor onto the small picture in the middle with CatKeelWeld written below it to enlarge it and then print it out. http://community.webshots.com/album/116319809qNFvSD

B

Bayard Gross

C-22 weldments

Bill: Here is the second web site that shows pictures removing the weldment and reinstalling a new one. http://community.webshots.com/album/91994466lfqUdg

B

Bayard Gross

C-22 weldments

Bill: Here is the third web site of Ted of Cape Cod here that shows drawings and pictures of the keel and how Ted used a drill press underneath the hull to drill out the weldments. I am indebted to Ted for this information and I wish to thank him greatly for his efforts and work to share it with all. Hopefully, Ted will drop in here and add his own comments. http://mywebpage.netscape.com/tedssailingpage/keel1.html

J

john renfro

keel

hello bill, when i removed my keel, one of the bolts snaped off on removal, i drilled the bolt out and, as i was slightly off center, i had to re-drill for a heli coil. good luck john

T

Ted

Hello

thanks for the kind words regarding my keel bolt exploits. Hopefully you have reviewed my web page. Since the weldment is only 3/4" in diameter, it is not a good candidate for an oversized bolt. You can get a 5/16 -16 helix coil (thread repair kit). The threads should be good as new once you have repaired then with the helix coil. I would check each weldment to see if it has threads and can maintain the 5/16" bolt without stripping. Only then would you be able to tell what your are in for. Regards, Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.