Catalina 22 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2006
2 22 Renton, WA
This review sure says a lot of bad things about the Catalina 22. I've only sailed mine 3 times since I got it in February, and I've been very pleased with it so far! http://www.practical-sailor.com/sample/Catalina_22_Boat_Review.html

Jan 25, 2007
- - Great sacandaga
Proud Owner of a C-22

I'm sorry.......but after reading the review from Practical Sailor, I myself, deem this to be crap! Enjoy your C-22, and be proud to own one, as do many of us! And speaking of not changeing, is Practical Sailor still printed on that cheesey, cheap, paper bag stock? You know the kind that makes your eye balls feel like they are being rubbed on a dry chalk board! And what the hell is wrong with Sailors being Practical! Jay

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Dated

Hi Tom, Well I think that the article in itself is a tad dated. Take your recent issue of the gas fumes in the cabin. THis is mentioned in the article. In the new style boat redesign back in 1986, they changed the port seat locker so that it does not leak gas fumes down into the cabin. The locker only vents to the outside and can no longer allow water into the cabin in the event of a knockdown and the locker hatch opens. This changes the interior storage so that the port area underntath the seats where the fuel used to be is available for good clean storage. Also I believe that at the same time the battery was relocated to the starboard cockpit seat locker where that is basically seperate from the cabin as well. For very specific Catalina 22 info you may also want to try the CD forums. One example: http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=1634 They do not mention in that article that there is a substantial following of this one-design boat that has strict rules of equipment for racing which the Catalina Co. (Frank Butler) has tried to promote. In this respect, the design of the hull, keel rudder, sails and such isn't going to change much. This makes the racing challenge more up to the racer's skills rather than the boat's design. Now Catalina has tried modifying the boat through the years. The Capri 22 is a faster craft but not generally raced with the 22s in the "One Design" events. The MkII version has tried to address some of the space issues and the width of the walk to the foredeck. The 22 Sport is the current update which has continued to downplay the weekender concept that was more popular in the original 70's design version. Sure there are boats in this size that go faster or are more of this and that but this boat keeps getting sold for some reason. over 15,000 of them now. ;)

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Interesting

In their latest issue PS reports that they have just purchased an old C22 to restore. They note their earlier lack of love for the C22 but acknowledge that 15,000 were sold which says something. Let's face it, the market is the ultimate judge and the C22 has proven itself in the market like no other sailboat has.

J

Jon Golliher

Another Proud Owner of a C-22

I agree with Jay! Practical Sailor might not like them but 15,000 owners surely wasn't that wrong! They ran it down so badly it sounded to me like a very biased reporter or someone had an axe to grind! I just can't agree with all the negatives they mention....it's the perfect boat for my needs, overnighting, single handing and price. A lot more things came standard with Happy Daze than the two previous boats I owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.