Catalina 22 Purchase - Interior Condition;Furler Question

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Are you willing to drive north over the border to pick one up and tow it back ?
The currency exchange rate would help you.

If so which provinces would you be willing to drive to ?
There's a 87 wing keel that would be asking $2700 in Ontario

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I might be one of the only guys that can say he's been to Winnepeg, Lake Winnepeg, and further north to other lakes in Manitoba to fish!! Caught a monster Northern Pike (photo to prove it!!).
I doubt you'd be the only guy. LOL
You should have seen the number of ice fishermen on the lake this past winter. For some reason it was a bumper crop of trophy sized fish.
In the summer, the lakes are full of fishing fans from the USA.(Though you may not notice, because we weight them down so they stay on the bottom,if they catch too many fish. ;) )

Sep 27, 2013
Pearson 30 (sold in 2015) Upper Chesapeake
I'm open to going up to Canada, absolutely!. I think I may have seen this one on one of the searches I did. Not sure, but does it not have a motor or a trailer? Trying to remember. Can you send me a link? ...Do you know if there are any crossing the border with a new boat issues?
Thanks!!

Sep 27, 2013
Is it this one? The description isn't bad...I think I went past it because:
I don't see a mention of a trailer and the photos say "not the actual boat" but mine looks just like it.......Makes me wonder if the interior is a problem (stained bulkheads, etc)???
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/ki...rd/1350458751?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you have a lead on how to contact the guy or gal, let me know!
THanks

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
yeah that is it. use the "contact poster" fields at the side of that page and it sends an anonymized email to him/her.

Sep 27, 2013
As I mentioned to LR, I got a response back from the owner in Kingston, and he promised some photos back on 5 June, but haven't seen anything from him since then. LR's reminder prompted me to reach out to him again on whether the boat was still available and about the photos.....I've been crazy busy so it got placed on the back burner anyway!!! Thanks LR for reminding me! Have to wait until it slows down a bit to re-energize the search.

Thank for all of your recommendations. I contacted the owner of the boat I was interested in, and basically said things like all the folks here were saying to me. Doing the work is not the issue, as everyone on this forum knows....it sometimes comes down to the real killer....TIME!!! We expect $$$ outgoing, or we wouldn't be buying a boat :)

I'll keep you all posted and look forward to seeing any boats that you come across.

Rob

Sep 27, 2013
All,
Thanks for the advice on not buying the project. Someone will get a great project boat, but I need something a bit further along!!
Note: Never heard back from the Kingston boat.

I may have found another. It's an early MKII, in "good" shape according to the owner. He said he would send me photos of the "bad" places. Those are attached.

Just a few of the questions I asked:
Question: Any water intrusion on wooden bulkheads inside the cabin? I noted that the port bulkhead was replaced (obvious in a photo) with marine plywood/west system and the boat doesn't look too bad, overall.
Answer: No now. There where signs of water intrusion around the usual suspects (ie chain plates, hatch seal, etc)
I replaced the bulkhead due to water damage. It is 1/2" (same as original) marine grade Okoume plywood. It was epoxy coating with the west system. the stb bulkhead was in serviceable condition so penetrating epoxy was used on that as well as the table base.

Question: Any cracks in gelcoat or crazing evident on the exterior of the boat? Especially around the mast step, stanchion post bases or any cracks anywhere? Any softspots in the deck or cabin top?
Answer: Yes there is a few spots where someone has come into fast to the dock. Nothing major but there are spots. The boat was recently detailed and the gelcoat shines very well. I keep the boat under a carport and covered when not being used. To me the exterior is a 7 or 8.
No issues around the mast step. I rebed the mast step, chain plates and blocks last fall.

Question: Are the windows clear or fogged, or have any crazing on them? Is the hatch seal in good shape and is the hatch glass in good shape or crazed?
Answer: Windows are in good shape. Not fogged up. No crazing. I replaced the hatch seal last year. The hatch glass is crazed no fogging.

Trailer condition:
Question: Is trailer in roadworthy condition to drive for some hours? Any rust areas on trailer? Tire size and condition, bearing buddies, brakes, lights work?
Answer: "Galvanized trailer, 14" tires, no brakes, no bearing buddies. For a long distance I would recommend new tires and probably a couple of bearing kits to be safe. Bearings checked last fall, lights work. There is rust on the trailer. light amount on the leaf springs, fenders and coupling."
HOW MUCH ARE TIRES AND BEARING KITS (overall tires and bearings (should I get bearing buddies?) plus normal cost of installation....likely at the "local" marina) ???

I've only included the photos he sent of what I asked about, the "bad" stuff. He said the boat had some minor damage from previous owner coming in too hot to the pier (don't know how often he/she did that).
I have never been a fan of crazing on boats, always wondering why and hows of the stressed areas. I know it's common on all sailboats, but it's funny that some boats that I've looked at are New Designs and had ZERO crazing. The one I just had you look over (the water damage/rotting wood boat) had probably the cleanest topside I'd ever seen....not a speck of any topside damage.

Please take a look at these and tell me what you think. Are the location of the cracks and crazing a hidden stress issue??? Can you help with the why's.....
I don't know what he is trying to show me in the mast base photo....He took that photo to show me "something" but didn't say why or what.. I know you know these boats inside an out....what is the "problem" with the mast base photo? Maybe something is a little bent?
Also, some of the metal in the photos looks pretty pitted...one that shows a hasp looks a bit worse for wear....notice anything else?
I know we all make mistakes and play bumper pool with piers on occasion.....not what we want to do, but tides, wind, etc sometime give us the hand we play.

A question for the group: I did topside epoxy repair on my P30 but I also then repainted the entire topside.....
How do you repair these cracks to the gelcoat? Yes, they probably can be just left alone (unless you guys tell me some of them are a "problem"), but I just don't like the way they look. I don't have any experience with "fixing gelcoat". I really don't want to do a fiberglass repair or fill in either. Would I then have to cover the repair with paint? I don't want to have various "painted spots" over my Fred Flintstone repair!
I know that I can likely do the repair, but I worry about the final look not being to my satisfaction and then spending the money for a professional to fix my attempt with a professional gelcoat repair....then, I've paid 2 times, in dollars and time.

OK,
Sounds like he did take care of it(?) It might be a boat that, while not a 10, does it sound like a solid 7? Cracks/Crazing a concern?
If not, maybe I can get it for a good deal(?) I can live with that stuff for a good deal!!! So, overall, if I can get it for a good price, it might be worth it???

Thanks....Hope all of you are sailing happily!!
Rob

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Cracks ... if you're motivated enough, you have to grind them out completely, fill them back in, gelcoat the repair, sand, sand, sand. Pure guesswork as to what caused most of them.

I don't know what's up with the mast base pic. What are we looking at in pics 6 and 9?

Boat is shiny! Nice new lines, too.

Sep 27, 2013
Did you mean pics 6 and 7? Photos of different boats but it looks like the area just behind the mast step area. Pic 9 is the mast step photo, right? I'm not sure what he's trying to show me in pic 9....
Any thoughts on cost of bearings and tires?
Guesswork, ok, but do you see anything that makes you go "Yikes!!"?

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@CaptDon01 has a mk2 and knows them well.

Looks decent to me based on photos.
Hard to know if the cracks at the corners of the hatch and anchor locker are from soft decks or just normal wear and tear.

Pic#9 may just be the seller showing that there is no cracking at the mast step.

Sep 27, 2013
Hey LR,
The owner said that he would send me pictures of all the "negative" areas in addition to the ones that I had....I will have to reach out to him to explain the mast step photo...
I hope to hear from Capt Don since he has two of them!