catalina 22 outboard motor

Nov 6, 2012
catalina 22 beaver island, mi
I have a 1985 Mercury extended shaft 7.5 hp motor on my 22. The motor runs great but I was thinking how nice it would be to have and electric start. Should I look at getting one for this motor, or should I look at replacing the motor for a new one that has and electric start. Any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated ( purchase electric start, or if new motor, which one)

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I would not change

An electric start on a 22 foot boat would be more maintenance than what it would be worth. Put your money into keeping the present engine in good running and starting condition.
I would replace the whole fuel line from the tank to the engine, the new stuff is made to handle the ethanol. Replace the spark plugs every spring. An 85 engine has the manual fuel mixture screw in the side of the carburetor, learn how to adjust it. At the end of the season or when the engine will not be run for an extended time, disconnect the fuel line from the engine while it is still running and run all the fuel out of the carburetor.

The electric start on a small outboard would drain much more power from your battery than what you would replace if you sail the boat. I'm thinking maybe up to an hour of run time to replace the start time. The motor would be heavier and would need more maintenance with starter and alternator.

On a 25 foot Catalina with a very high stern the electric start would be nice to keep from leaning down over the back of the boat to reach the pull start, on a 22 foot boat the pull cord is above the stern for easy operation.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I currently have electric start on an oday222 yes it is a little heavier than a standard pull start. I have had it for four years and have not seen the additional maintenance versus my old motor. I personally love the convenience. I have not seen a problem with the battery by the time I get out of the harbor it is fine
Just my opinion

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
One thing that we keep forgetting about is the weight of the larger outboard, with or without electric start), on the motor mount. Not the weight it self, but the extra weight on the lifting assist springs. They are not engineered for the additional weight, so pulling up the outboard is more work. A friend of mine has an 8 HP 4-stroke Mercury on his C-22 MK-II, and he's engineered a little rope attachment to help pull the engine up to get around this problem. But I have to tell you, my new 6 HP Tohatsu pulls so easy, it's almost like someone left the spark-plug out! I don't know what exactly Tohatsu did, but it's a DREAM of a little outboard!

Don

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
The main problem is that only the larger outboards, 8 and up, have electric start, and it adds significant weight. I upgraded to a Tohatsu 6 sailpro with the longest shaft. Starts easy and fuel stingy. I still have my 1979 evinrude 6 which is now a backup. The Tohatsu gave me twice the range with the same amount of fuel and charging. Now I can explore further than ever before along the ICW. I always run the carb dry at home after flushing, and after only one season, have no trouble. The jets from what I read are tiny and can become clogged. No problem yet. The shaft has never come out of the water and it charges my battery. I have added 19 inch LED TV and a new stereo system. Dead battery no-more. I also have a 15 watt solar panel and battery minder charge controller. The 6 has pushed me fine in heavy seas and against current. Bigger is just too heavy IMO.

Attachments

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Stick with the manual start for this size of boat. It has less systems to break down and maintain, is lighter.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
One thing that we keep forgetting about is the weight of the larger outboard, with or without electric start), on the motor mount. Not the weight it self, but the extra weight on the lifting assist springs. They are not engineered for the additional weight, so pulling up the outboard is more work. A friend of mine has an 8 HP 4-stroke Mercury on his C-22 MK-II, and he's engineered a little rope attachment to help pull the engine up to get around this problem. But I have to tell you, my new 6 HP Tohatsu pulls so easy, it's almost like someone left the spark-plug out! I don't know what exactly Tohatsu did, but it's a DREAM of a little outboard!

Don
Funny you should mention that. Just today I came to realize that Catalina Direct sells three different motor mounts: a two spring model, a three spring, and a four spring - recommended for 80lbs, 95lbs, and 115lbs respectively.

Sadly, my mount is the two spring model (of course!). This limits my choice of future motors somewhat, although your Tohatsu 6 comes in well under 80lbs. Mind if I ask what size prop you're using?

And FWIW, I wouldn't give a dime for an electric start on a motor this size. Just to keep it on topic. :D If the motor doesn't start in a pull or two or three, something's wrong.

Nov 19, 2008
Dixidawg,

My Tohatsu is the new 20" "Sail Pro" model. The spec's say the prop is 8.375" Dia. X 6" pitch. The standard 6 HP model prop is 7.7" Dia X 8" pitch. Not sure if a C-22 requires a high thrust prop on the engine, (but our boat provisioned out for our normal cruising comes in at 3,600 Lb's. It seems like it requires a bit higher RPM to maintain hull speed, but very noticeable increased thrust in reverse. I'm going to do some testing on my boat with the high thrust VS the standard prop with speeds and RPM comparisons. So far been very pleased with the engine, and LOVE the front shifting!!!!!!

Don

Nov 6, 2012
Thank you all for your great input. As I read what has been posted it looks like the concensus is that I should not put an electric start on my existing 7.5 hp motor, but if I want an electric start I should look at getting a new smaller motor that has one (the Tohatsu mentioned above).

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I know people always bemoan their pull start, but I had mine recently tuned and could not be happier. It's an 1988 Evinrude 6 hp, 2 stroke.

Cold start, full choke two pulls and it starts on the second pull every time.

Warm start, no choke and it either starts on the first or second pull. For some reason I have found that I need to re-pump the primer ball on warm starts for a quick start.

I run the motor dry after each day on the lake and only add full into the 6 gallon tank like 1.5 gallons to 2 gallon at a time so the fuel is always fresh....

The mechanic told me to always run the motor dry and replace the spark plug every 3 months and it should run for 20 more years...

Nov 28, 2012
Catalina 22 #442 Somerset, Ma
After reviewing a lot on this subject. I plan on purchasing a tohatsu 6hp sail pro myself. For those that have one how far down does the 25in go. i have the typical retractable mount

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Of the two people I know who own those extra long shafts both have broken the shafts, there so long that even in the full up postion the foot is still far enough into the water the motor can be ran.

I've had a 20" since 2001 the number of times it's been full down can be counted on one hand. IMO there's absolutely no reason to have the extra 5" on the C22....

Nov 28, 2012
Catalina 22 #442 Somerset, Ma
Excellent info

Thats exactly what i was wondering!! Thanks for the heads up. Finally got a coule bux to go grab one.i was trying to fix an old johnson 2 stroke but sat outside too long and was full of water. So if anyone needs parts to a 4hp sailmaster johnson lol

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
question that I probably know the answer to but I found a pretty good deal on a 6hp 4stroke that fits everything i'm looking for but it's a short shaft.

Anyway anyone use a short shaft successfully? I wouldn't think of it but it's an incredible deal.

Nov 19, 2008
My friend has an 8 HP short shaft Mercury,(Tohatsu) on his MK-II and the depth is fine. Measure from the top of your engine pad with the motor mount in the down position to the water line on your boat. As long as the cavitation plate is under water your good to go as far as the water pump is concerned, however deeper is better,(get your mind out of the gutter :naughty:). Most motor mounts will still have a few mounting holes open so you could re-attach it slightly lower.

Don

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Also, if you are on a lake where the swells is minimal you will not have the problem of having the prop coming out with a shorter shaft. I have a long shaft Evinrude and I'll tell you the prop is down there deep. There are two down positions on my outboard bracket and I don't even use the bottom lock down position.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
guess I'll just have to get off my lazy butt and measure it. just assumed a long shaft was necessary but thanks guess I'll check :)

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
did some measuring today.

If I lower my adjustable mount to the lowest setting a 15" short shaft will get under the hull but just barely.

Problem is that it's just barely with little to no wiggle room.

Guess I'll hold off till I find a good deal on a 6hp 4stroke 20" shaft.

Least I know now without a doubt should have just measured it right off before asking. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 19, 2008
Try taking some photos and running an ad on Craigslist that you're looking to sell or trade for a long shaft. Never know, someone might have a long shaft and would rather have a short shaft outboard. Try running the ad in several cities around your location. Spread the word, who knows what might turn up.

Don

Nov 6, 2012
Try taking some photos and running an ad on Craigslist that you're looking to sell or trade for a long shaft. Never know, someone might have a long shaft and would rather have a short shaft outboard. Try running the ad in several cities around your location. Spread the word, who knows what might turn up.

Don
I am back. I started this thread a few years ago and after input decided to keep my old motor. I now, due to getting older, am interested in getting a new motor with electric start and tilt. I have been looking and the smallest motor I can find that has both these features is the Tohatsu 9.8 and Yamaha 9.9. Looking for any guidance on this issue and to see if anyone has used either of these on a cat. 22