Catalina 22 mast raising system

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph

Has anyone purchased the mast raising system from the aftermarket catalina group for $350.00? Just wondering if it is all they say it is. If you have it, please post your opinion of it.

B

Barry Lenoble

not me

Hello, Do you need to raise your mast single handed? If not, I don't know why you would need that system. I built a crutch that stands at the rear of the cockpit, and I use the winch on the front of the boat. It works very well. Barry

A

Aldo

Me Neither

Joseph: I don't have the system that you mentioned either, but I also have made a crutch like Barry that helps with raising the mast. I actually plug mine onto the one that I use to carry the mast while it's being trailered, so it's already part way up, even before we start raising it. To raise it, (or to lower it), we use the main sheet block and tackle. It took us several years to figure this out, but this takes all of the effort out of it. It's still nice to have 2 or 3 people when you do raise the mast, but my wife usually handles the mainsheet. (Our shrouds always get caught on the little buttons for the pop-top cover buttons, so one person is usually assigned the job of keeping the shrouds from getting caught). Raising the mast does get easier and easier every time you do it. If you use the main sheet block and tackle the way that I suggested, you can cleat the mainsheet with the mast part way down, if you need to stop for any reason. We lowered the mast one time with the boat in it's slip to replace the mast light. Just as another note. I usually loosen one of the upper shroud turnbuckles, 10 times, before I take the mast down, then just tighten it back up 10 turns when the mast is raised. This saves some time with their adjustment. We do have the stainless steel mast tabernacle, not the aluminum one that the boat came with. Aldo

L

Larry Taft

attaching block on mast

I lioke the idea of lusing the main sheet and block. Where on the mast do you attach it? To lower mine in a hurry when hurricane Isabele was appraoching I secured the roller furling line so the roller wouldn't turn and then slowly slackened it as the mast was lowered by a buddy.

A

Art

Homemade mast raising system

If you search this and other trailer-sailor sites you'll find a lot of people use gin poles. These are set at right angles to the mast, a few feet up from the base. I use an aluminum pole, about 7' long. On one end is a crutch that straddles the mast. On the other is a wooden block with an eye strap on one side and a turning block on the other. These are opposite one another. Midway down the pole I have bolted on a light-duty trailer winch (looks like a big fishing pole). The jib halyard is attached to the eye strap and cleated taut; and some braided line extends from the winch, to the end of the pole, through the block, and then attaches to the bow pulpit. I have a telescoping mast crutch, mounted in the rudder gudgeons. I bring the mast aft and secure the base to the tabernacle. The gin pole gives a good angle of pull on the halyard, with a sufficient "upward" component. The mast needs to be secured from side-to-side motion while in transit, at least until the aft lower shrouds kick in. For this I use "baby stays" (or "baby shrouds", more properly). These are attached to tangs on the sides of the mast, 7' up from the cabin trunk, and then to the top of the cabin trunk about 18" outboard from the tabernacle. These share the pivot point of the mast going up, unlike the shrouds themselves which are secured to the deck. For this reason they remain taut all the way up, or down, and provide some lateral stability. I made mine out of 3/16" marine braided wire and have attached them to pop-off couplings on deck, obtained from Catalina Direct. (They are a component of that $350 system they sell). With all this gear, I can comfortably raise & lower the mast single-handed, and can do so while afloat if needed (low bridge, big storm, etc.) The attached link is a picture of the winch set-up that I pirated when making mine. Hope this helps

K

Kip

A-frame

Go to the catalina 25/250 assoc. forum and search a-frame. You will get lots of info. and pics. I've made one for both ta catalina 22 and 25 amd using the main sheet. Works like a charme.

A

Aldo

Larry

Larry: We attach the part of the main sheet block and tackle that normally goes to the boom to the forestay, and the part that normally goes to the traveler to one of the holes in the fitting where the forestay normally attaches. We do this with little shackles, before the turnbuckle is loosened. Once the forestay turnbuckle is completely loosened, the mast can then be eased back. I have digital photos of this somewhere, but I just haven't been able to find them for you, yet. Aldo

R

Ray Hodges

Home-made works great

Joseph, I made a mast raising system for less than $100 and it works great. It is a modified gin pole arrangement as Art described except mine is made from kiln-dried 2x4. It is notched at one end to slip around the mast at about 6" up from the base. There it is secured with a cargo strap that is mounted on the pole. The winch and block are essentially the same as Art writes. However, the biggest key to SAFE single-handed mast raising is using the temporary stays or baby shrouds. I read an article in Good Old Boat titled "No Fear Mast Stepping" about 2 years ago (you can find it on the net). It describes a 4-point "bridle" system that attaches to two points on the deck, another point on the mast, and the fourth point on the gin pole. You'll need a starboard and port bridle. The trick is to use a ring at the center of the bridle that is on an imaginary line running through the pivot point of the mast. The bridles make for quick and easy raising, even in heavy cross-winds. With mine, the whole mast raising process takes only 10 minutes and I am very happy with it! Good luck!!

A

Aldo

Photo of Mast Stepper

Here's a photo of the mast stepper that I made out of a scrap of wood. It actually was a shelf, (that's why it's painted red). It plugs onto the support that I use to carry the mast when the boat is being trailered. Aldo

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.