Catalina 18 Shrouds Attachment at the Upper end

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Today I was looking over the shrouds and stays of my new to me 2003 C18. I looked at Catalina Directs site just to see what they have. In looking at the lower shrouds I see they are recommending you not use the "T Bar" type lowers because they might fail and go to a more standard type with a pin and cotter ring. So I'm wondering how many of you have switched to the new attachment? My lowers look OK and I wasn't going to change them out. But with this warning I thought I would ask the forum what they use. I did notice that their fore stay attaches with the T Bar type attachment.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
On a boat that size, I like the pin style "adjusters". Makes it easy to set the boat up by using the same number pin hole.. The "quick release" type are even better, since a lever eases the tension enough to remove the pin. They are attached to the chain plates with clevis pins and rings. The t-bar style works well with turnbuckle rigging where the mast is left up most of the time. I don't know anything about your boat, but I have had a lot of experience with dinghies, beach cats, and other trailered sailboats. Here's a couple examples...

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks Joe for the input. The T bar, I assume, is stock with the C18. I was just wondering if other C18 owners have switched to the pin and cotter ring attachment from the T bar type. This is at the upper end, attached to the mast.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Still using the original set-up from Catalina. I saw the warning from Catalina Direct also. I might change to the new set-up when I renew my standing rigging,but everything I have is still good.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks JA. I'm going to get new upper shrouds from Rigging Only and will ask them about the T Bar type and whether they are a weak design. But good to know that they are being used without incident. I wonder why Catalina Direct didn't say anything about the forestay that has the T Bar swaged fitting.