Catalina 18 Owners Opinions

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
We recently sold our Catalina 30 and I'm looking at downsizing to a 17-20 foot day sailer.

My sailing grounds are the Florida Keys and I live on the Ocean side of Marathon. My sailing will be inside the reef, but it can blow up quickly here. We can go days at a time in the winter months when the breeze doesn't drop below 15 knots. I'm looking for a boat that is relatively dry, comfortable and stable that will stand up to a breeze and a chop.

I want a boat that's lively and fun to sail, but I'm past the point where I want to be hiking out or burying the rail every time out. I want less maintenance than I had with a big boat. She'll live on the dock behind the house; and I'm looking for something I can jump on and be away from the dock in five minutes.

I prefer at least a porta-poti and enough room below to stretch out for a nap below. The "galley" will be sandwiches in a cooler and a jug of sweet tea.

I have dreams of something pretty from Herreshoff, but when I factor in budget I'm landing on the Catalina 18, so I'm asking for opinions from owners - how well does this boat fit the description above?

My experience - I started on a Catalina 22 wing keel around 2005 and stepped up to a Catalina 30 MKIII in 2008 sailing the Delaware on the 22 and Barnegat Bay on the 30.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Hi! I have owned my 1988 Catalina Capri 18 since 1998 and sail in the Toms River and Barnegat Bay. I usually sail by myself or with my daughter. I can say that the boat will satisfy most of your wish list. It is not a slow boat,but it is not fast either,at least not in light air. I have been using an asymmetrical spinnaker in light air and it will keep the boat moving well. It will stand up to a breeze well,but will need to be reefed. If overpowered it will round up quickly. I have a 110 jib on a roller furler and when I am out by myself I will furl the jib and play the main when overpowered. Not the best way to go but it is easily done. Properly reefed it will settle down and sail well in whitecaps. Also,the closest I come to "hiking out" is sitting on the side deck and resting my back on the life line,which is padded. It does not carry very well in powerboat chop if the wind is light. With the fixed keel it draws 2 feet which allows me to easily sail the eastern part of the bay along Island Beach State Park,well away from the deeper,and thus crowded western side. I keep the boat on a mooring in the river in Pine Beach. It is easy to get underway,maybe about 10 to 15 minutes from the time I step aboard from the rowboat,and easy to button her up and put her away,maybe 15 to 20 minutes. And at age 62 I don't move quickly! The cabin is very roomy for an 18 foot boat and is a great place to take a nap. The CP 18 is rated about the same as a C 22,but I think the 22 is faster. All in all I am very satisfied with my CP 18. If you have any questions just ask. Jeff

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Hi! I have owned my 1988 Catalina Capri 18 since 1998 and sail in the Toms River and Barnegat Bay. I usually sail by myself or with my daughter. I can say that the boat will satisfy most of your wish list. It is not a slow boat,but it is not fast either,at least not in light air. I have been using an asymmetrical spinnaker in light air and it will keep the boat moving well. It will stand up to a breeze well,but will need to be reefed. If overpowered it will round up quickly. I have a 110 jib on a roller furler and when I am out by myself I will furl the jib and play the main when overpowered. Not the best way to go but it is easily done. Properly reefed it will settle down and sail well in whitecaps. Also,the closest I come to "hiking out" is sitting on the side deck and resting my back on the life line,which is padded. It does not carry very well in powerboat chop if the wind is light. With the fixed keel it draws 2 feet which allows me to easily sail the eastern part of the bay along Island Beach State Park,well away from the deeper,and thus crowded western side. I keep the boat on a mooring in the river in Pine Beach. It is easy to get underway,maybe about 10 to 15 minutes from the time I step aboard from the rowboat,and easy to button her up and put her away,maybe 15 to 20 minutes. And at age 62 I don't move quickly! The cabin is very roomy for an 18 foot boat and is a great place to take a nap. The CP 18 is rated about the same as a C 22,but I think the 22 is faster. All in all I am very satisfied with my CP 18. If you have any questions just ask. Jeff
That sounds fantastic. All that with some cabin.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
If you have any questions just ask. Jeff
Jeff,
Just getting back to boats after some travel.

Thank you for your reply. The only other question I'd have is do you know the approximate weight of the boat and trailer for towing. Catalina lists her at 1,500 lbs, would 2,000 lbs be a good assumption?

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Jim,I would say about 2500 lb.all in to be on the safe side. Catalina lists the weight of the boat only excluding options such as a boarding ladder (highly recommended) or motor bracket. If you carry any other equipment such as extra sails,motor and gas,anchor and lines,tools,other gear,etc,that all adds up plus about 650 lb.for the weight of the trailer. Hope this helps. Jeff