Catalina 18 lifting fitting

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Does anyone know a source for the lifting fitting for the Catalina 18's? I've looked at Catalina Direct and didn't see one there.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Did you try contacting Catalina Yachts? The parts and technical support number is in the footer of their company webpage.. www.catalinayachts.com

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
If you have had no luck with Catalina Yachts themselves,try these two companies. One is Codipro (Codipro SA Division of Alipa Group) or Carr Lane Mfg. Search for lifting rings or hoisting rings. They may have what you are looking for but I think their prices might be way too high as they manufacture commercial equipment. Also,did you call Catalina Direct or search their website. They have stuff that is not listed or they may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck! Jeff

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
JA, thanks for your help. Catalina didn't know about the keel stud. Wanted me to send a picture.

Mar 28, 2015
Hi! McMaster Carr has what you are looking for. It is called an eye nut. I believe it is C 1"x8 tpi. https://www.mcmaster.com/eye-nuts. Got this info from Catalina Direct. Before you order one check your stud diameter and count how many threads per inch you have as your's may be different from mine. And also check that the stud is fully screwed into the keel;that it is tight.
Jeff

Last edited:

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
JA, thanks for the valuable info. I never called Catalina Direct, just looked at their website. You have raised my other concerns, the structural integrity of the lifting stud. How is it attached to the boat? What does it look like deep down in the keel? Is the load spread out or just a stud glassed in? Have you tightened your stud? I wouldn't have thought it would be a screwed in type. That makes me concerned about water getting down inside the lead shot where it can't be drained. If you tighten the stud whatever seal there was between the stud and lead would be broken. Would have to be re-sealed with an epoxy bead at least. Certainly wouldn't be much water and probably of little concern but water getting in where it can't be drained is never a good thing. Thought the stud might be a "J" shape like a regular keel bolt or some kind of a upside down "T" shape . Just going from memory I think mine would be a 1 inch diameter and the threads are pretty far apart (course). I'll check in a few days when it gets a little warmer here. I'm also considering buying and using a couple lifting slings to launch the boat. I've check with one of these rack and launch marinas and they said that they launch a number of boats(not sail) that don't use their rack facilities. I wouldn't want to use their forklifts to lift a C18 because of the rocker that sailboats have. Too much point loading. But I've seen pics of forklifts with lifting slings used to launch boats. I might just ramp launch(I do have a tongue extension) but I would rather just have it lifted in. I have a limited number of ramps where I will dock the boat and I'm not sure of the ramp water depth. But I will certainly check that out before I just start backing it in.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2015
About the keel stud being tight,that was a suggestion from the guy at Catalina Direct. I think I read somewhere that the lead ballast was cast into a solid piece with the threaded rod in place and that rod was then used to lift the lead and lower it into place and then the lead was glassed over. I would imagine,like you,that there is something more substantial at the lower end of that rod. Either bent or a nut and washer cast in place. After all,it was said to be used as a lifting point. If you look up images of a Catalina 18 there is a picture of one being hoisted that way. Years ago when I first got the boat I made a comment to someone knowledgeable about Catalinas about that stud and why there was no nut and washer on it. I was then told that there was a ring fitting to screw on to be used for lifting the boat. As to launching at a ramp that is what I do. Our club has a "ramp". I use that term loosely,very loosely. At the water's edge the cement ramp is buried below about 3 feet of sand at that point. It seems that when it was built they failed to see the need for a bulkhead on the sides. So,I am essentially launching from a sand beach. Even so,I do that successfully every year. And,after all,the C 18 was designed to be a trailer sailer. Good luck and smooth sailing! Jeff