Cat30 fuel filter bleed procedure?

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
so I am changing fuel filter on Phasor Marine/kubota. There is a Racor filter with pump. I emptied filter and changed it.
There is some electric pump present, I opened valve, turned it on, made a bunch of air bubbles in filter and then stopped. I loosened injector nuts and got no fuel or bubbles out at all. What am I doing wrong?

886EA185-F70E-4C3E-BF56-3BEFE85AAD18.jpeg

This is pump and valve.

I think I found air leak.
C612DBAA-11A7-477A-B791-DC0D6E35F1B0.jpeg
C612DBAA-11A7-477A-B791-DC0D6E35F1B0.jpeg

This is the return air line. The fuel line is too big for nipple.
Fuel is pouring out when I use the pump.it started great then died. Will only run a little then die. I’m gonna do smaller fuel line with a union?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've never had to bleed the injectors on my diesel so could be wrong but from what I've read you will only have fuel at the injectors when the engine is running.
It sounds like you only had the pump on when trying to bleed them.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You should Never have to open the injectors for a kubota based engine. There should be a valve or bolt (bolt up to 83 or 84) on the engine where fuel is returned to the tank. If bolt leave open and run lift pump till bubbles stop, of bleed valve open fully and run lift pump for 3-5 minutes, then close valve and reopen 1/4 turn. Done. When changing on engine filter ther is a bolt on top side of filter holder - use same procedure as above.
Les

Apr 26, 2018
Thanks guys. I went up today and looked at the fuel lines. They have 3/16 ID lines. I looked again at the engine and found the bleed screw on the lift pump. I opened, ran pump with bubbles coming out. Closed all the way, when I go back up I will open 1/4 turn. Did not know that. Once it was running, it ran until I ran RPM up rather quickly then died, Repeated procedures and ran again. I think its fairly good now. I think I have to just start running it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Leaving the bleed screw slightly open helps if there are slight air leaks up stream. You use less than 1/2 gal per hour and lift pump can deliver over 20 so a Lille more bleed won’t hurt.

Les

Apr 26, 2018
Found it!! Downside, bled good, has white butter water in oil.