Cat 310 or 320?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowLin

May 30, 2011
Catalina 320 BC
I'm sure there have been previous posts and seen a couple but I need to ask.
Moving up from a 28 ft. boat and need to know which are the main differences that I shoud consider.
1.) We are looking in the 1999-2002 yr. models due to prices.
2.) We mainly cruise, although I've been known to race in the 'less formal' club races.
3.) Age: 50's...

Benefits, drawback to each model in that year range...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They're two completely different boats, in concept. The 310 was designed to be a cruising boat for two people. The 320 is more conventional in layout and crew size.

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
The C-310 is a great boat. We use ours for daysailing and cruising, usually weekends but have gone as long as 9 days. However, it is designed for two people to cruise comfortably. Two more can come along but the aft "cabin" doesn't provide much privacy and you will not be able to use that area for storage.
It's very easy to handle and with an autopilot it can be single handed. The Universal diesel is rock solid, provides plenty of power for any situation and is very accessible .
It's a great party boat with a large cockpit and decent galley. It's also an OK club racer. However, it comes from the factory with cruising sails which are quite baggy. Flatter sails will help with upwind performance.
My 310 has the deep keel (6'5") which is fine here in Maine but may be a bit much for some areas. The 310 also came with a wing keel that draws less than 5'. Something to bear in mind.
All in all, I love my C-310 and wouldn't give it up.

HowLin

May 30, 2011
Catalina 320 BC
Thanks much for the detailed response.
My wife and I cruise extensively in the Pacific NW; sometimes on the boat a month at a time, rain or shine; so making the right decision on a new boat at this point is quite important. We have even considered an older (1990-94) Cat 34 - but a newer 310 or 320 might be a better option..??

Feb 26, 2004
We have even considered an older (1990-94) Cat 34 - but a newer 310 or 320 might be a better option..??

You could guess that I have a preference (!:)) but you can't go wrong with any of the three.

There is a good C310 group right here on this message board. Go up to Forums, C310 Group (in catalinaowners.com only).

The C320 is a larger vessel, maybe not beamier, but certainly has more freeboard.

Aft heads are a BIG consideration, especially if you have guests on board in the middle of the night - there's a lot more "head privacy."

Well kept boats, any of them, will have pretty much the same systems and equipment on all three. An older boat may sometimes be in better shape than a newer one.

We chose a 1986 boat in 1998 in lieu of newer ones. We know many C34 skippers who are are their second C34s, and some who have moved to Mark IIs don't like the wider cockpit, others love it for the extra space.

So much depends on how tall you are and what you're looking for in a boat and how you intend to use it.

Your choice, your boat [sic] (!:)).

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
We made this choice last summer and went with a 320 (2002), a 320 is a little faster.
Try to go in both boats, the difference in the cabins is considerable.
The 320 is only 3 inchs wider at the beam but a foot and a half longer LWL.
I'm on the waiting list for a bigger slip so in a few years I'll be shopping for a 350, 355 or 36 probably and that's about as big as is "comfortable" for both the admiral and I to single, so I do believe bigger is better in sailboats to a point.
I always figure a boat with more than 1 head is just asking for trouble and usually too much for one person to maintain (even hiring a lot of the routine stuff out) and still have time to use.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The C310 all the way for me

We made that choice late last year and went with the C310.

Sailing wise, the boats are practically twins. All of the typical statistics are basically the same. Although the mast on the C310 is sold as an offshore rig and I have not seen that same claim from Catalina on the C320. One key factor on the sailing aspect I liked is that the C310 is set up easier for single handing. You can easily reach the jib/genny sheets from the helm.

The biggest deciding factor was the forward birth. I will take the queen walk-around over the v-birth or cramped, below the cockpit birth any day.

Some of the other deciding factors were the cockpit layout (much bigger on C310), the galley configuration (like the 2 sinks on the C320 better but the rest was better on the C310 including the front and top opening refer), the standard equipment seemed a little better on the C310 (items like the windless is included, hot water heater is bigger I think), the head seems bigger on the C310.

For us it came down to where will you spend your time. We practically live on the boat all summer and spend much of the time on the boat either sleeping or in the cockpit. With the C320 you get a bigger salon but how much time do you spend in it.

Either way I am sure you will be happy with either boat. My advice is to get the one the admiral likes better and you will get to spend more time on it.

Another aspect to consider is availability. There are a lot more C320s available then C310s. Our broker is a Catalina seller and he told us that, relatively, not many C310s have sold from the original owners. The people who bought them seem to hang on to them. This can make find a deal on a C310 harder but it is a buyers market.

Good luck with the choice.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Sailing wise, the boats are practically twins. All of the typical statistics are basically the same.
I thought the 310 sailed more like a 30, and very MUCH more like a 309 than a 320.
Another aspect to consider is availability. There are a lot more C320s available then C310s.
Probably safe to just say there are a LOT more 320's, I think the 310 set the record for shortest production run in Catalina's history.
Our broker is a Catalina seller and he told us that, relatively, not many C310s have sold from the original owners. The people who bought them seem to hang on to them.
Know how to tell when a broker is giving a crappy opinion with no factual basis ? Their lips are moving.;)

Feb 26, 2004
A little harsh there, don'tcha think? The C-310 owners wouldn't agree with you, if they keep their boats because they love them. IIRC, the 310, 30 and 309 are on the same hulls.

And, yes, the 320 WILL sail differently, it's a completely different boat.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
We had some major problems with our 2001 310, which have been solved, but not a great effort. The R&D damper plate that was originally installed was incorrectly sized and it self destructed after only 500hr on it. The strut was incorrectly aligned from the factory and had to be modified to correct the alignment. These were issues that the surveyor missed! Other than that, everything else is well thought out and it sails very nicely is 10-15, but what boat of this size doesn't. With the wing keel (we have the 4'10" draft, sometime after our boat was manufactured the design changed to a 4'4" draft) and a good swell when broad reaching she tends to wallow around and you have to stay on it. Easy to single hand with the roll-in-the mast and all lines led aft. The cabin layout is a bit cramped with the interference with the dog house and the head door (3am ram you foot into it) that covers the engine. The access to the engine is the best I have ever seen and was a big reason as well as price, for us picking it over the 320. I would not be sailing one of these off shore as Maine Sail has also noted that the bulkhead tends to move around in heavy conditions. She's pretty tender, but good for couples gunk holing around a inland bay or lake setting.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
But Stu, I added a smiley face.
Didn't mean to be harsh, all Catalinas are practically twins in appearance, but sail differently. When we've had a 270, 28 and a Capri all docked together most people couldn't tell them apart, but they sure sailed different. Same with all the newer 30's, 309's,310's and 320's even a 36 could blend in till you started counting portlights.
That thing about the bulkhead working might concern some folks, that seems a little harsh, please remember I didn't bring it up. That might be a less than desirable trait for a boat in the Pacific.

Feb 26, 2004
Ted, I just saw your :D at the end of the third part, sorry. Good point there, though about brokers. :evil:

Yes, they sometimes look all alike to others, but we only begin to scratch the surface when we count portlights. Reason? 3 forward ports on a C34 and a C42, same proportions, but the 42 has double spreaders. Sometimes though it takes awhile from a distance. ;)

I'm sure that no matter what they choose they'll be happy. After all, we Catalina owners have been known to improve our boats even after they leave the factory. :doh:

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Stu and Ca Ted, just curious as to your opinion .... how does the older C30 (say 1988-1994) compare to the newer 309,310? especially interested in how you'd compare the way they sail. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
When I was shopping there did seem to be more 310's with wings than fins available and 310's were scarce here in the west because they moved production to Florida pretty early.
If they'd have let me squeeze a 34 into my slip I might be singing another tune anyway.

HowLin

May 30, 2011
Catalina 320 BC
Awesome exchange folks - this is the kind of info i was looking for.
-Fin keel definitely desireable in PNW; availability of C310 on west coast may be an issue.
-Heavier rig? and layout and equiipment options on C310 may better suit our type of use. (cruising north as far as Alaska)
-Of course a C34 might be best, but age and price a consideration...

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I have hull #41 and love the sailing characteristics. Maneuverability is outstanding, tacks on a dime, and sail controls are on the cabin top. I have the fin keel. A gentleman two docks down had the wing keel, and was sorely disappointed with its sailing performance. Sideways sliding is what he mentions most often, and is very interested in the difference. I will take him out one of these days.

Interestingly, I had the wing keel on a Catalina 22, and I loved that boat. Sailed great.

Anyway, the C-310 is the boat we have always wanted, and we love it. For anything more than two cruisers, it would be a challenge, unless you are really friendly, and storage is limited, but this is the boat we use the most of any we have owned. It is just a great combination of features and comfort for two.

Jon Freeman
Tacoma, WA

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Didn't mean to leave you hanging Luz, just didn't feel adequate to the task and thought about it while on the boat. Great weather. Best I can think of is "hips", the newer hull and liner built boats are beamier (? is that a word) than the stringer built boats. And that beam is carried further aft (probably all stuff you already know) to me that makes the handling characteristics change with the amount of heel. It's my impression that the fatter hulls are a little more sensitive to the amount of heel and it's effects on speed and weatherhelm.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
When we were looking for our boat to cruise on we found that if the boat is in very good shape then the more previous owners equaled more items added to the boat.
By this I mean extra gear. Auto pilots, electronics, davits,etc. Something to keep in mind.
Enjoy your adventure.
Ray

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
compare older 30 to newer 309-310-320

Thanks Ted, I sort of regretted asking after I did because it was sort of an odd question I guess. I was just curious if what my guess is about the later Catalina particularly in the 30-32 ft. range, follows what I can see in the larger models.... for example the Cat.38 with the adorable stern end, and the newer 387 or 375 etc. I am pretty sure that the Cat38 sails much more competitively than a newer model.......

Our '88 has a beam of 10'10" but more taper it seems than the newer ones. I would think it might be a more competitive racing boat but really that is what I was asking. So, are you saying that the 309,310,320 are a bit rounder toward the aft (and the bow as well??) makes it more stable and that ours is more tender? I would think that as well.

Since I do tend to get myself into some trouble on these threads, if I have stepped on any toes, please realize I am just asking a question, I have been curious and don't really sail other Catalina so I can't judge.

Thanks Ted for coming back with a response. I love what I learn here.
PS did you race in the Leukemia Cup this weekend (3 days)? It was great weather, fun seas and we got a 3rd, 1st, 2nd, and overall 1st place our class. And all for a great cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.