Carrying extra fuel for longer trips

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
My Catalina 22 has a 6hp Tohatsu outboard that uses 1/2 gallon per half hours. Currently I have 2 3 gallon tanks. One is kept in the fuel lazurite and the other sets in the floor at the back of the cockpit which always seems to be in the way. I would be interested in seeing what other people do to handle this issue. I was thinking of storing gas containers up by the mast between the mast and the shrouds . Let me know what you think.
Thanks

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is the most common way I have seen to sail with extra fuel cans.

fuel on rail2.jpgfuel on rail3.jpg fuel on rail.jpg fuel Can Rack 1.jpg

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Nice but I only have a Catalina 22. Now way do I have that much room

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The newest fuel cans can lay on the FLAT and not leak. Two point tie down on Centerline of you boat. Two stacked on the flat = 20 hours.
Jim...

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Here is my setup for a trip to the Bahamas on my Oday 25. It uses about the same amount of fuel per hour as you stated. I had a 6 gallon can in the cockpit and 4 six gallon cans on deck. Had no problems with this setup. I did not store any fuel in the cabin or under the cockpit.

PA100874.JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You could always hang a couple of cans on the transom, like the spare tire on a jeep.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My Catalina 22 has a 6hp Tohatsu outboard that uses 1/2 gallon per half hours. Currently I have 2 3 gallon tanks. One is kept in the fuel lazurite and the other sets in the floor at the back of the cockpit which always seems to be in the way. I would be interested in seeing what other people do to handle this issue. I was thinking of storing gas containers up by the mast between the mast and the shrouds . Let me know what you think.
Thanks
We keep a six-gallon tank in the fuel locker, with a five gallon gas can at the aft end of the cockpit floor if needed. It's a lot of weigh aft in an already stern-heavy boat, but I never could see carrying fuel on deck on a C22.

BTW ... 1/2 gallon per hour sounds like a lot. Are you running wide open throttle?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
BTW ... 1/2 gallon per hour sounds like a lot. Are you running wide ope
It was 1/2 gallon per 1/2 hour (1 gal / hr), but that still sounds like a lot for that sized motor.

I like electric because fuel can be replenished without going to a fuel dock. Even if the range per charge is shorter.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Approximate Fuel Consumption Chart
Tohatsu Outboards (current models)
4-Stroke Models
RPM
Gallons/Hour
Full Throttle

Tohatsu 2.5hp 5,000 0.24
Tohatsu 3.5hp 5,500 0.4
Tohatsu 4hp 5,000 0.4
Tohatsu 5hp 5,000 0.5
Tohatsu 6hp 5,500 0.5
Tohatsu 8hp 5,500 0.85
Tohatsu 9.8hp 5,500 1

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
What SV Chickadee posted, is what I normally see done.

I use modified self-venting pour spouts & plugs with O-ring seals that don't leak, when I use gas cans like that.

What Sailm8 posted is consistent with the burn rate in my Tohatsu.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I get much better figures than posted with my tohatsu sail pro 6hp long shaft , at about half throttle I am at 5 knots or so, maybe you guys are running into some really strong tidal flows or currents. Course I use sails more than some Cat 22s I have seen.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Worst place EVER for the extra weight.
Please tell me more about that. I would think aft weight, when in a good wind, would counter the forward, bow-down tendency of forward pressure on the mast. I understand that one doesn't want the bow to come up, that changes the helm balance, but with people hanging davits and transom arches, etc. on sterns, the wider modern designs actually contribute to better floatation while adding weight aft.

I'm not trying to argue against your statement, just showing you why I thought it would be fine.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
That only may help going down wind. On every other point of sail, you don't want weight back there. Most well designed hulls get more narrow as you get farther to the back of the boat. Narrow means less buoyancy. Most boats are designed for optimum weight along the rail. Officially my boat is best balanced with one person ahead of the stay, one or two people behind, and one person in the cockpit.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Isn't there another locker to stbd? (Pic)
Maybe investigate different tank dimensions to fit in other locker; Refill-jugs, not an exchange tank. Flatter one, or convert to multiple 1-gallon jugs, or a bladder, etc. Plastic tanks are cheap.

I'm sorry, but the fuel up the mast thing is hilarious.
-You'd have weight bouncing around up there.
-Sun heating it up/expanding.
-What if it leaks. Especially with all the bouncing around and expanding.
-People would stare.

Edit: Wait wait, he's asking "up BY the mast". Not up the mast. :biggrin:
Ok, that might work.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Please tell me more about that. I would think aft weight, when in a good wind, would counter the forward, bow-down tendency of forward pressure on the mast. I understand that one doesn't want the bow to come up, that changes the helm balance, but with people hanging davits and transom arches, etc. on sterns, the wider modern designs actually contribute to better floatation while adding weight aft.
I'm not trying to argue against your statement, just showing you why I thought it would be fine.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Two words. Mass centralization.

Any fixed displacement should be close to the mast, and as low as possible. Any effort to move mass at the ends of the boat wastes energy.

Moveable ballast (crew) is a totally different story. We move crew all over the boat depending on conditions.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Any fixed displacement should be close to the mast, and as low as possible. Any effort to move mass at the ends of the boat wastes energy.
I will read up on it. Sounds like something worth learning more about.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I will read up on it. Sounds like something worth learning more about.

- Will (Dragonfly)
High performance sailboats will do everything possible to get fixed weight out of the ends. Look at this view of the Sunfast 3600, an offshore racer. No vee-berth, just sail storage and a minimal head in front. NO anchor stored there! Aft, lots of open space, and then the spartan crew berths. Everything in the middle.

boat-Sun-Fast_plans_20130326102649.jpg