Caravelle - Engine Exhaust Overboard

May 4, 2015
Hello All,

On Wind Song, the engine and a small electric bilge pump overboard have been put right through the transom, which is not that aesthetically pleasing. I intend to relocate the engine exhaust under the counter, can someone advise perhaps with a picture form the lazarette where it is best located in relation of to the framing, and a picture of your exhaust vent loop? Is there a fitting outboard, or just a flush penetration.

Any recommendation on best location for the electric bilge ovb? Note the hand bilge pump (orrig) discharge below the waterline via a sea cock.

Thanks

Lloyd

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
As you can see, Bounding Home's exhaust is placed high on the counter. Thee is just a flush-mount ring on the exterior. The small clear hose is the vent from the propane locker, post side, just behind the travelers. A 10 lbs aluminum horizontal tank.

I have two electric bilge pumps aboard. The primary pump in the bilge vents out the Stbd side, about 4" above the waterline. The secondary electric bilge pump is located next to the mast and is also the shower drain sump. This pump vents about 4" above the water line on the port side from the forward head bulkhead.

We also have two manual pumps. The primary is an Edson crash pump, located at the base of the companion way ladder and goes to a seacock in the stbd lazarette. There is a smaller hand pump in the stbd lazarette that T's into the same seacock. The cockpit drains are vented through separate seacocks on either side of the engine. I had long pull handles fabricated out of bronze rod that reach from the seacocks to either side of the engine and within easy reach just by removing the ladder cover

Attachments

May 4, 2015
Scott, again thank you so much.

1. Do you have a vacuum break on the exhaust line? What is the small black line, actuator for the seacock?
2. Interesting I dont have any ovb's above the water line. I do have the same cockpit drain arrangement, I need to get some pull rods like that!
3. Is your Edson Crash pump one of the 30GPM models? Did not know you could fit that under the sole there. (I borrowed one for of the portable ones for the delivery trip down to Marion, did not want something to let go and on the old girl without some form of contingency)

BR

Lloyd

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
I have no idea what that little black hose is. I will ask at the yard this weekend.

The bronze pull rods really work wells for a totally inaccessible seacock.

The boat came with the Edson 30. It is set between the floor frames, just forward of the fuel tank. They now make a new version which would mount in the lazarette with a flush mounted handle fitting. A pump that can be accessed without opening a lazarette is now an Off-shore reg for Marion- Bermuda and Newport-Bermuda races.

May 4, 2015
Scott,

Thanks for the information. Perhaps that line is the holding tank vent? Where do you vent your holding tank?

Yes have seen the new edson pump with the flush mount, you can steer and pump at the same time!

BR

Lloyd

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
The holding tank is located between the V-berths. The vent is just under the toe rail by the head on the port side. Nothing like sleeping with 12 gallons of S@#%t until your bed.

May 4, 2015
I know what you mean regarding holding tank location, I am looking at getting it installed outboard of the head in that cabinet under the deck, with a drop down to the seacock. May not need a pump at all, no Y valve ete. I would like to keep it out of the fwd cabin if possible......will see, the yard recommended this.

I am actually looking at moving the head from the fwd blkh to the aft blkh, as it is very very tight in there, more for a 12yo than a grown man! Looking at an electric head actually, by Raritan, Model Marine Elegance(very good reviews), we will see. Wind Song still has an almost original Lectrasan in there.....Have not seen one in over 20 years. Will chop down the hamper too for a bit more room!

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Small black hose to bilge pump thru-hull could be engine vacuum-valve outlet?