Caption contest

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I kept telling you guys that barge was the right of way vessel! not the committee boat!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw Sounds like you have personal knowledge of the incident, not Bluebird in disguise is it?
Yes we were in the same race. It was blowing about 20 knots with shifty gusts, which is a perfect day on BlueJ but a hair raising experience on a Capri 25. At WYC we run dual courses, and the Capris are on the other side. We heard a bunch of excited chatter on the VHF, but could not see the action. Going downwind the boat broached and the kite held it flat in the water where it flooded and rolled. On the crew's attempt to roll it back, it burped its air bubble and sank in 80 feet of water. The rescue boat GPS marked the spot and the owner arranged to bring it up 2 days later. WYC has a rotating trophy that is held by the last boat at the club to sink. 90% of them over the years have been J/24s and Capri 25s. Big surprise.

Nov 8, 2010
Honey did you remember to burp the baby?
Indeed. The boat and club did (as always) a 'lessons learned' autopsy of the event, and one of the findings was to stop and think before attempting to roll a boat back over. Upside down it will float just fine, and it might be worth it to hold for more help, or at least more the boat to shallower water!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Are you saying she turned turtle? They may been better off closing up the companionway before they rolled her back. I guess that being said she wasn't self righting?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A LOT of boats are not self righting if you pull a FUBAR with the companionway open. When stuff gets rough, get the boards in place and batten the hatches.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So that's a bomb cyclone. I thought it would have been bigger.

Nov 8, 2010
Are you saying she turned turtle? They may been better off closing up the companionway before they rolled her back. I guess that being said she wasn't self righting?
No boat is actually self-righting when upside down. They will very happily stay that way. They all need to pushed at least 15 degrees (by human or wave action) to start righting.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Yes we were in the same race. It was blowing about 20 knots with shifty gusts, which is a perfect day on BlueJ but a hair raising experience on a Capri 25. At WYC we run dual courses, and the Capris are on the other side. We heard a bunch of excited chatter on the VHF, but could not see the action. Going downwind the boat broached and the kite held it flat in the water where it flooded and rolled. On the crew's attempt to roll it back, it burped its air bubble and sank in 80 feet of water. The rescue boat GPS marked the spot and the owner arranged to bring it up 2 days later. WYC has a rotating trophy that is held by the last boat at the club to sink. 90% of them over the years have been J/24s and Capri 25s. Big surprise.
We had a Moore 24 do the same thing in Oak Harbor some years back and a Capri 25 did it down near Seattle. In both cases they were sailing with the main hatch open and the drop boards out. Close the door and the problem is solved.

Nov 8, 2010
I think it's funny that their PROTEST flag is up.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
For sale.

Sailed exclusivly in fresh fresh water.
Recently high pressure rinsed.
I think it's funny that their PROTEST flag is up.
Is that what that is? I thought that was a fishing lure.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think, with this new, heavier keel, we can finally get that MORC rating for self-righting.

- Will (Dragonfly)