Capri 18 Transducer

Jun 16, 2014
Catalina Capri18 Marina
I'm a new owner of a 1991 Capri 18 and would like to install a depth sounder. I don't want to add a hole through the hull and the floatation foam complicates access from the inside. What type of transducer works well with this boat?

Thanks,
NewbieOwner18

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I installed a depth sounder on our Capri-18 under the companionway. I used a fairly large hole-saw to get into the space under the cockpit floor. It's filled with foam, so it's a REAL job to remove the fiberglass cut-out. Be VERY careful when you cut through and don't cut into the foam. The power wiring runs up in this area and you could cut it if you're not careful. Now it's a tough, nasty, time consuming job, but I removed about a square foot of foam. Have a shop-vac handy to keep up with the mess. I glued the depth sounder's transducer to the bottom of the hull with thickened WEST epoxy, make sure you are down to solid fiberglass, and made a little notch in the top of the hole to route the transducer wire. Covered the whole thing with a big screw-in inspection port, and the job was finished. I also used this access area to route the battery charging wires from the outboard to the battery under the cabin floor to charge the battery while the engine was running, and I also had a plug for the solar charger to keep the battery topped off while the boat was in the storage yard. I attached some photos from my transducer installation, hopefully it makes sense. I also attached a photo on the mooring on one of our trips to Catalina Island, and sailing in Long Beach Harbor.

What a GREAT little boat!

Don

Last edited:
May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I epoxied a Lowrance transducer in the space under the v-berth in my Capri 22. There's nothing but glass there so it shoots through the hull just fine.

You can see it in front of the holes where the old Standard Horizon through hulls were.