Capri 16 furling

Dec 8, 2016
Catalina Capri 16 Adirondacks, NY
Bought a used Capri 16 a few years back and love it, but I can't figure out how the furling system is supposed to be rigged. There is nothing in the owners manual and I've gotten by with a few different methods, but inevitably the rope falls off the drum or gets tangled. Anyone have a diagram? There is an eye on the deck, then a cleat on the cabintop. Thanks and also curious if someone with this boat has done a long trip.

Dec 8, 2016
Wish I could - but boat is in NY and I'm in PA. I believe it was a standard issue, at least in the original ones. It is a 1990 and I believe one of the first hulls. The furler just has a single groove all the way around it, so I imagine the line goes through it once, or wraps around once. It's what happens outside of the furler (to keep tension on the line) that isn't clear.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It's what happens outside of the furler (to keep tension on the line) that isn't clear.
That tension is usually achieved through a balance of forces created between the jib sheet(s) and the furler control line by the sailor. Always maintain a little tension on the sheet and control line when furling/unfurling.
Ideally, the eye on the foredeck will allow the control line to enter the drum at 90 degrees to the vertical orientation of the drum. This helps in loading the drum evenly.
I think...:biggrin:
Edit- a single groove on the drum? Continuous or looped control line.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It would not be unusual for your furling device to have been an upgrade installed by one of the previous owners... so instructions will not appear in your boat owner's manual. You can, however, learn the basics of roller furling by a simple google search. There are various types of roller furling devices. Yours could even be home made. Try to find a picture of one similar to yours in your search then post it here for discussion.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am at a loss as to the need for a furler on a Capri 16. I guess, but when I sailed a Capri in he early 70's we removed a big sail and put up a small sail if needed. An rarely was such an action needed, even single handed. The sail is just not that big, and the rigging puts a lot more weight on the bow while fouling the sails fore edge robbing the boat of a few degrees of pointing ability.
But if your must, the suggestion of looking as other furling systems would be helpful in identifying the parts on your boat.
:worthless:We are just guessing.

Dec 8, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. I have been thinking the line was a continuous loop, but there may be a hole somewhere on top of the groove to fix one end of a line - and it would work as suggested like a big boat - unfurl with the jib sheets and furl with the line. The groove is just not that big for many wraps of the line, but the line could be much smaller than what I am trying. It may be have added after the boat was new because the jib has no sun protection when its rolled up, although every picture of these boats shows a furler. It's actually quite light and is awesome to have on this micro cruiser. It seats 6 adults without a problem and the equipment makes it easy to set the sails with a full boat.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Use nylon parachute cord for furling line. It should be rated for at least 80# and smaller than 1/8". It is a skinny line. As said before herein, you must keep tension on the line by controlling the jib sheets and the furling line. Wrap the sail tightly by holding the jib sheet lightly while pulling the furling line.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Same boat? I had a Capri 16 for a while, awesome little boat.. It had one of the CDI furlers (probably FF2??) on it and it was all standard.
capri16-1.JPG
capri16-2.JPG