Capri 14.2 Mod 2 Mast Step Casting "Fleet Spec"

Nov 12, 2018
Catalina Capri 14.2 Metedeconk River NJ
I recently acquired a Capri 14.2 Mod 2 that was used as part of a yacht club fleet of the class. The mast step is a cast metal step I understand is a "Fleet Specification" step (Catalina Direct sells them and is labeled that way). We sailed the boat a few times and set the mast on the step and the forestay and the shrouds were able to sufficiently hold the mast in place, however, there are no pins or other ways to secure the mast to the deck. I have seen much discussion on more traditional mast steps for the Capri (with a pin etc), and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this "Fleet Spec" setup. Seemed odd (and possibly a bit dangerous), to have the forestay and the shrouds as the only securing mechanisms for the mast (nothing other than pressure really holding the mast to the deck casting). See attached picture. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's more than adequate. My Nacra 5.2 beach cat's mast sits on a ball so it can rotate. The pin you're alluding to is for what is called a "tabernacle" mast step.. it is there to act as a hinge for easier lowering of the spar for trailered boats. Neither style of mast step would prevent collapse should one the rigging fail.

Nov 12, 2018
Catalina Capri 14.2 Metedeconk River NJ
Thanks for the guidance. Good news is that it all seemed pretty solid once fully rigged, but I may put some type of rubber ring or gasket on the deck around that casting or around the bottom of the mast so the aluminum mast is not sitting directly on the fiberglass deck. Never seen a good long-term result from metal on fiberglass particularly under pressure! Thanks again!