Cant lower dinnett table in "95 Legend!!

Feb 13, 2016
hunter 37.5 legend Milwuakee
We are unable to lower the table in the dinette of our "95 Legend. This is a counterweight system which one should push down on the table (To convert to a double berth)to lower and slightly lift to raise (To the dinette). I am afraid the weight inside the mast support is rusted in.

But after seeing how the previous owner performed mechanical maintenance it could be anything. Any idea of how to free the system or other ways to lower table I may be missing?

I do have an idea of cutting the rope and splicing with a fisherman's knot and a spring clip underneath until I can take the mast off and get inside of the support.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have spent sleepless nights (ever since we bought the boat new in 1998) wondering what I would do if I ever faced the problem you are now facing. Not pretty.

Compression.jpg

Is there any chance the sheave in the compression post is jammed or is that hoping for too much ?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I would try some PB Blaster to see if the weight would free up.

Feb 13, 2016
I thought if that but there are radar and other cables running through. Do not want to damage them.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I thought if that but there are radar and other cables running through. Do not want to damage them.
Not to be a pest, but if it is like mine, they do not run in the post. Unless you see them exit, they are likely exiting above the post where your lights are. Drop that panel at the top and take a look. Good luck!

Feb 13, 2016
I think you are correct. Also anyone trying to give help or good advice is defiantly no pest in my mind. Thank you much.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Aw crap ................. now I am losing sleep over this.

Some final thoughts in the last stages of desperation:
- beat on the post (in the suspected area of the weight) with a padded hammer (avoid dents) while pulling upwards on the cord.
- attach a source of strong vibration to the post (same area) in the hope of shaking it lose.
- feed a rod down through the opening where the cord enters and see if you can make contact with and hammer the counterweight loose.
- do everything together.

Like I said .............. desperation. I feel your pain.

Feb 13, 2016
I thought I about the hammer idea too. Like a kid in a candy store. So many excellent ideas. Just sprayed the post inside. Waiting on time now. Hammer may be next.

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
I have same problem on my 37.5. Anyone able to solve it. What are the 3 screws holding a ring on bottom of post for? Jerry

Feb 13, 2016
I have not banged on it with the rubber mallet yet. Keep forgetting the mallet at home. We rarely us it but I want everything to work correctly. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I may rep the mast this summer for other fixes. Like putting a connector on the radar cable that the bot yard did not do. Instead they drilled a hole into my deck because it was easier than stepping the mast. Now I have to fix the issue. Won’t go back for maintenance there.