Can you identify this Windlass?

JonF

Jul 11, 2018
Beneteau 40cc Seattle
There is no obvious markings on this heavy-duty Windlass mounted on my 1998 Beneteau 40cc sailboat. Can you help me identify it?
- It is painted white, with no manufacturer's nameplate or imprint, only the #6790.
- It is not an Ideal or Lofrans, per their reps.Windlass right side_small.jpg Windlass top view_small.jpg
- It may have been mounted in the US or Canada if not original.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The drum kinda looks like something made by Goiot, a French boat parts supplier. I don't even know if they make windlasses, but they do (did) make winches.

JonF

Jul 11, 2018
Beneteau 40cc Seattle
Thank you for the help - I did identify it as a Leroy Somer made, discontinued by Beneteau and no longer available. Hmm, try and diagnose why the manual release is frozen or discard and buy a Lewmar?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Might be worth pulling, dissembling and diagnosing. If you need parts...good luck. I junked a decent Simpson-Lawrence Horizon windlass because some English guy wanted +$700 for a new Lucas electric motor and corrosion had compromised the motor case. Repair considerations failed the Cost-Benefit Analysis. Dropped a new Lewmar H3 in, nice easy install.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Having once owned and (sometimes...) enjoyed an old TR-3a, I should note that all English vehicle switches have three positions: Flicker , Dim, and Off.
:)

And, say it with doom and enthusiasm: Lucas, Prince of Darkness!!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would highly recommend Lofrans windlass. Our first one was 30+ years old and worked flawlessly, but the feet had corroded away. This was mainly because the PO's hadn't bothered to have a cover made. We had one made for our new one. Lofrans are very high-quality windlasses and not out of hand price wise if you shop around.