Registered users don't see ads

Can You Deploy your swim ladder from the water ?

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by MitchM, Aug 8, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Ken13559

Ken13559

Joined Oct 29, 2005
    1,905 posts, 64 likes
    Hunter 326
    SG Singapore
    Yes I can deploy my h326 swim ladder from water. Mine has sugar scoop transom

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,153 posts, 197 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I don’t have a great shot of my transom, but I can reach my ladder from the water. To too hard to get back on board unless the boat is moving >5 knots.

Our new docks in the marina have ladders at every other finger pier, so if you fell in, you don’t have to swim too far to drag yourself out.

IMG_0442.JPG

Greg

3. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,547 posts, 1,067 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    You fabricated the ladder itself also?

Sorry to pester you, hope you don't mind being imitated. That thing really is pure genius.

4. SwitchintoglideIII

SwitchintoglideIII

Joined Feb 11, 2012
    241 posts, 38 likes
    C&C Mega 30
    CA Long Point, Lake Erie
    Lol, no worries...the ladder was purchased. I would have to look up what brand it is and where I bought it. It is a popular ladder, and on most marine sites.
    The platform is 1" Densitec (Starboard) along with the supports beneath.
    The lines are self retracting with the use of springs and cheek blocks in behind the transom.

Gene Neill likes this.
  5. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    2,805 posts, 886 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    Nope.

6. dziedzicmj

dziedzicmj

Joined Aug 13, 2012
    478 posts, 83 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Ottawa
    This is a Catalina,isn't it? You can attach a cord to the eye on the outboard side of the latch. If you pull that cord down, it would raise the latch. So you can open both latches from the water (I have it rigged this way). Another line attached to the top rung of the ladder opens it out.

I have to admit that I never had to use it in anger, so I cannot say how well this would work if you are "being cold, hurt, tired, in foulies and in chop".

7. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,644 posts, 2,704 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    That's the only knot you should use on sail ties as well. Great knotsite!

8. JetLaggedChef

JetLaggedChef

Joined Jul 9, 2018
    54 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 25
    US Lake Monroe
    I had two overboard situations in the past week. It was not a good week! In one, I was leaning over the side docking on a really windy day when the boat bumped something in the water hard enough that I lost my balance and fell over. Luckily boat was in neutral, but I couldn't get the swim ladder down with it velcroed at top. I also couldn't get up the dock, but then I remembered this a$$hole (see pic) has been hanging out on my dock and let me tell you what, I summoned the power of Jesus to walk on water. I flew up out of that damned water like Ursula the Sea Witch was trying to steal my wedding.

The other one was an out of control drunk friend who wanted to jump into the water near a beach. She reached into the cockpit locker, grabbed a line, ran up to the front of the boat and jumped off. I ran up to stop her. As her plus-sized body plummeted off the side of the boat, I felt something rub my calve and realized too late that it was the line she was holding. It yanked me off the boat by my leg. Luckily, someone else was on the boat and able to deploy the swim ladder.

Both of these were intense learning experiences for a newbie, but I'm glad I survived and neither was far out at sea.

I love this idea and will be doing it this week.

Attached Files:

9. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 82 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    Yes. My walk thru transom has the ladder accessible from the water assuming the helm seat is in the at sea position. There are also grab handles that can be reached from the water as well.

10. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 82 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    Walk thru transom with ladder and grab handles visible. A real safety bonus. 751C489C-8813-45F7-9F67-93609CD31528.jpeg

11. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    2,805 posts, 886 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    Good lord man, that is unbelievable! You need to be a lot more cautious.
    60 years of messing about on boats almost daily, mostly professionally, with a circumnavigation and numerous ocean crossings and I've yet to go over the side unintentionally.
    Forget about an easy way to drop your boarding ladder and concentrate on staying onboard, because in my mind you have used up all of your boating second chances.

12. JetLaggedChef

JetLaggedChef

Joined Jul 9, 2018
    54 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 25
    US Lake Monroe
    Truth! The falling overboard for me was a freak accident, but the out of control drunk friend will definitely NEVER happen again. I will never even shy away from putting my foot down to make sure passengers know who's in charge, and no more drunk people on my boat.

capta likes this.
  13. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,002 posts, 468 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    @Mikem if that ladder is anything like ours (exact same design) tell me how you were able to loosen up the clips that hold it closed to open it easily, I can't open ours by hand I need something to use as a lever to open it, but yes there are grab handles that are easily reached from the water.

14. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 82 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    Hmmm. No clips on the ladder. It just lays flat.

15. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,002 posts, 468 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    @Mikem not clips per se but the ladder lays in the recesses of the transom, ours seems to lock in place tightly.

16. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 82 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    I’ll take another look tomorrow. The few times I’ve used it in the past it deployed easily.

17. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,853 posts, 280 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    Here is what we do. Our ladder will stay in place with just gravity holding it in place so we tie a line to a rung so the end of it is a few inches above the water (with a big knot in it for grabbing.) A tug on the line and the ladder tips into the water. In the photo, you can't see the line because it's on the LH side.

Ken

Attached Files:

18. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 82 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    I rechecked today. It just lays in the recess and is very easy to lift. No restrictions other than the fender.

Attached Files:

19. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,002 posts, 468 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    @Mikem exact same setup, ours once set down into the recess it seems to latch wonder why, will have to look closer, another item for the list.

20. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    348 posts, 142 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Valiant US Watergate Marina, Kemah, TX

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.