Can this jib be repaired and how?

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I’ve had a Genoa on my Mac 26D furler since I bought it in 2014. IT is really for much heavier air than we usually have in the summer months, so I wanted to swap it for the jib that the P.O. included.

When I opened the jib I found mouse turds and you guessed it, little mouse holes (see pics I extracted from a video of the jib). Don’t know if it was pre purchase or not, that’s not relevant.

Can I just use iron on patches?

Is this repairable? How would you go about it?

EC951CDC-A480-4FDC-A832-FC6E63CE1F0A.png F0F97777-1014-4587-8899-AE8BF031016A.png

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sail repair tape is probably the best solution. Put a piece on each side of the hole.

The expensive solution involves a sailmaker and replacing a panel. Most likely overkill for your situation.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've had mouses do the exact same thing to a sail of mine in the past. When I put my sails up in the shed for the winter, I now toss a few mothballs into the sail bag. So far, it has done the trick.

This....

Not this...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:plus: on the sail tape. I used that to fix my old sail and when I sold the boat three season's later, it was still holding up.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When I had my sail serviced, the loft used sail tape both sides of a small tear and then stitched the patch with a zig/zag stitch all the way around the patch edges.
If you have access to a sewing machine that will handle the material and can do zig zag then this is a better way to go. The glue on the patch holds it in place, the stitching keeps the edges from peeling up. Because the material will stretch under load, a zig zag stitch will hold better than a straight stitch.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Rub the tape down HARD with a epoxy spreader, seam rubber, or similar tool. HARD.

I've tested a lot of methods. Tape on both sides makes good sense for this. A heavier sail would need cloth, and perhaps the best method is to glue with Dr. Sails (stitches in a used sail can create a tear point). Really impressive stuff for both polyester and laminate sails.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If the taped area isn't large and you want to reinforce with stitching, don't bother with a machine. On something the size of a sail, even a small job is a project. You should have a hand stitching sail repair kit onboard anyhow, now's the time to practice.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/stitch-time
A needle, thread and sewing palm plus technique.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
If Mama has a Singer with metal gizzards, get a yard of sail cloth and 4 ozs of thread from Sailrite. A home machine won't even be bothered by a couple of layers of Dacron. We used my wife's graduation present, a Kenmore sewing machine circa 1980, and made a mainsail for our Lancer 25 (up to 10 layers of Dacron), a sail pack and new cushions out of Sunbrella and a whole number of mods for the boats. You DON'T need a Sailrite LZ1000 or industrial machine to do much of the sewing required for a boat. If you can afford it . . . dude (or dudette) go for it! Home Depot sells one for about $400.
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
If Mama has a Singer with metal gizzards, get a yard of sail cloth and 4 ozs of thread from Sailrite. A home machine won't even be bothered by a couple of layers of Dacron. We used my wife's graduation present, a Kenmore sewing machine circa 1980, and made a mainsail for our Lancer 25 (up to 10 layers of Dacron), a sail pack and new cushions out of Sunbrella and a whole number of mods for the boats. You DON'T need a Sailrite LZ1000 or industrial machine to do much of the sewing required for a boat. If you can afford it . . . dude (or dudette) go for it! Home Depot sells one for about $400. View attachment 153799 View attachment 153800 View attachment 153801
I second that you don't need a Sailrite sewing machine to do anything you need. I sewed a new zipper on my sail cover with the 1930's vintage Singer pictured. I really don't know how to sew, so I got some over the phone coaching from a friend and after a few tries I got it.

Attachments