Can I vent?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We’re hauling out for the summer months and needed to add some ventilation so here’s what I come up with. I figured a 12” hole was better than the 4” holes for solar vents. I’ll let you know how this turns out.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
12 hole where and replace companion boards with wood make hole add fan and ventingis good

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I always wondered how weather proof those things were. I guess we'll find out.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Tip: For those "Squirrel Cage" vents to work...
You must have a INPUT to match the OUTPUT, on air flow.;)

Low In = Low Out.

Jim...

PS: Yes they do work in Reverse too. Strong winds will spin them.
PSS: Put a garbage bag over it , tied off, to stop them.

Oct 2, 2008
We have six dorades for make up air and then my wife placed a 32 quart bin on the salon table beneath it. For the far ends of the boat she has tea-tree and damp rid which to me is a waste but I gave in. I used latex caulking to seal it and plenty of screws under that gorilla tape. Along the hatch trim I have foam weather strip to keep the plywood tight if any water does seep under it. I would have added flashing but we're leaving in the morning.

Already tested it in twenty kts of wind, spins rather nicely.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When we haul out, that's where we put an a/c unit. Most yards down here have these wooden contraptions that house the portable a/c units and keep water from coming in. We power them independently from a post off the boat, so there's little chance of a problem aboard, even though they run 24/7.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Some inventions are so ugly that they are neat looking...….that one isn't! (1) The ones on our house roof worked fine for ventilation of the attic, but they did allow water into the attic and that did not do the insulation any good. (2) Did you leave your hatch screen in place? Bugs will build inside the vent tube if they enter on a calm day. (3) RE ugly: At least one can not see that type of vent on a house roof. (4 ) Mosquito pool in the 32 quart bin?

Oct 2, 2008
Yep, butt ugly. We won’t have to see until we return. So why aren’t there smaller marine versions that fit a dorade box? That would answer all those concerns.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yep, butt ugly. We won’t have to see until we return. So why aren’t there smaller marine versions that fit a dorade box? That would answer all those concerns.
Sounds like a business/patent opportunity. Go for it!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I have fit solar vents into my dorade boxes successfully. They work good. One side blows in the other out for a good cross flow. Only trouble is the solar vent batteries die so they don't work at night any more. Good for a year or so, but very expensive to have to keep replacing them annually or so.

Oct 2, 2008
Sounds like a business/patent opportunity. Go for it!
Then I’d be getting phone calls from that cute Lori on Shark Tank and rolling in the dough. Sumner would be taking pictures of my yacht next to the guy from Harbor Freight. I’d miss all you little people. No I’ll just stay retired.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Then I’d be getting phone calls from that cute Lori on Shark Tank and rolling in the dough. Sumner would be taking pictures of my yacht next to the guy from Harbor Freight. I’d miss all you little people. No I’ll just stay retired.
Ah, yes. We, the Great Unwashed, would miss your comments. :worship:

Seriously, I'm sure we all hope for the best outcome for your ventilation project.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is a secondary benefit to “butt ugly” on a boat.
A wandering kleptomaniac is less likely to choose a butt ugly looking boat as compared to the bright and shiny neighbor in the nearby slip. How could butt ugly have anything of value below? Shiny means money.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Will that new vent installation hold up to 120 mph winds for 16 hours? With a 50% safety factor that will be 180 mph winds. It will probably be mistaken for a UFO when it takes off spinning that fast. But seriously I gave up using a masthead wind instrument for that reason. You either climb the mast for each storm to remove it then climb it again to replace it, or leaving it in place it is spinning so fast the jewel bearings burn out and it just flops around.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
My neighbor had one on his house roof. You'll like it until it starts to squeak.