Can I install a windlass on a 376

Jul 1, 2007
- - Milford CT
When I asked my local boat yard, they said that the existing (shallow) chain well would need to be cut out to create a vertical drop for the chain. A new deeper well would be created in front of the V Berth. Is there a windlass that can do the job with the existing well?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
How much drop would you have if you kept the existing anchor locker without making modifications?

Jul 1, 2007
- - Milford CT
Hi Ted,
Thanks for replying. There is a well on deck that is about 10" deep. It has enough volume to store the chain, (it's where the rode currently lives). There is a flat area in front of the well that could accept a windlass.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
I posted what I did about 10 years ago, simple job and works well. Look in the archives, maybe first under my name. I epoxied in a board at the AFT end of the well and mounted the windless on it. The chain simply goes into the well.
Allan

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
A 10" vertical drop will not be enough distance. Most windlass manufacturers recommend more than that. Once the chain/rode starts piling up, you end up with less vertical drop and you will have to move the pile out of the way in order to continue using the windlass. Check a few installation instructions of some of the manufacturers you are considering and see what they recommend. For example the Lewmar V700 (vertical windlass) installation manual recommends a minimum of 12" chain/rode fall from the underside of the deck to the top of the rode pile. See page 5 of the Lewmar manual.
http://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/V700 manual 65001022-iss7-Eng_0.pdf The Lofrans horizontal windlass has a 12" fall requirement also.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
No doubt, Ted...
that that is what the manufacturer says. But I actually installed one in a 376 as I described in a posting and have used it for about 15 years; it works fine dropping the chain into the well from the board. You just push some links a few inches with your hand from time to time to spread the chain in the well when you are at the well operating the switch.
Allan

Feb 6, 2017
Hunter 376 St James City, FL
I have the same boat. No windlass yet. I have seen articles describing the insertion of a hawsepipe in the existing anchor locker and creating a larger anchor locker below it and just above the water tank. You can remove the access panel below the existing anchor locker and see (with a mirror) the amount of space available. A floor for the new anchor locker would be advised to protect the water tank along with a new drain. Search for previous articles written on this topic. I also found photos when I did.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter 376 New Bern, NC
I made this change in 2008 and then went to the Caribbean for 2 years work like a champ.
If you put out more than 100 feet of chain .. it jams up.. so if you look at the old inputs.. Use 3inch PVC pipe and reroute the chain drop... Very helpful. I did it and now I can put out 200feet of chain and it all comes back in.. (This is for the Hunter installed Windlass...)