Can I connect new motor directly to a battery charger that charges my boat batteries?

May 6, 2017
Tanner 26 26 foot Little Current
looking for info on attaching my new motor to battery charger? Or directly to batteries?
My old motor was connected to battery charger, charger connected to boat batteries!
Can I do the same with the new motor?
Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Is this a perception issue?

Batteries provide power to, among other things, the starter motor. The charger obviously charges the batteries rather than charges the starter motor.

The common point is that they are interconnected properly by switches and fuses. It sounds like you are confusing the way in which they connect. It might help visualize the sequence by reviewing some simple boat wiring block diagrams which are ubiquitous on the internet.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
looking for info on attaching my new motor to battery charger? Or directly to batteries?
My old motor was connected to battery charger, charger connected to boat batteries!
Can I do the same with the new motor?
Thanks
Does your new motor have an alternator set up to charge a battery, or does it have an electric starter motor that needs power?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The general rule, which I wouldn't start violating: CONNECT THE MOTOR (whether the boat's propulsion "engine" or some miscellaneous "motor" TO THE BATTERIES.

The questions above from others beg some clarification.

If you have a "battery charger", let it CHARGE the batteries and not function as a DC converter.