Can anyone tell me what this isin front of the prop?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wow.. looks like a coupler or splicer for a short piece of shaft .. I've never seen one applied that way.. or maybe a holder for an additional or longer cutless bearing to stabilize the overhang of the prop. if it turns with shaft, it is a coupler.. if it is stationary, an additional bearing or some other magic thingie.. ?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Looks like a line cuter for keeping lobster pot lines from getting caught up in your prop.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Ditto on the Spurs with parts missing. The will refurbish and let you know what you need for parts. Got mine done last summer and they look almost new.

All U Get

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Between your line cutter, and your shaft zinc and the exit of your cutlass bearing I don't see enough clearance to allow for water flow from you shaft. Not sure how the Catalina30 works but I would lose that line cutter and make sure I had flow from my cutlass.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Between your line cutter, and your shaft zinc and the exit of your cutlass bearing I don't see enough clearance to allow for water flow from you shaft. Not sure how the Catalina30 works but I would lose that line cutter and make sure I had flow from my cutlass.
Well, you're probably right about the bearing but that's not a Catalina 30.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
It certainly looks like the molded Beneteau shaft strut and I bet that clamp arrangement is someone's idea of a repair brace for the stern shaft tube. The screw showing from the brace port is the trap screw for the cutlass bearing. If that is a Beneteau you really need to lose the line cutter, there is no room for it.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I bet that clamp arrangement is someone's idea of a repair brace for the stern shaft tube. The screw showing from the brace port is the trap screw for the cutlass bearing.
It's a Beneteau 393. Can you elaborate on this? Looks like a mess to me. What is a repair brace and why would it be needed? I am buying this boat, the survey is scheduled for the 27th. How difficult is it to replace a cutlass bearing? The boat is lightly used in beautiful shape otherwise.
Good eye Gunni!
You know your bottoms Fstbttms

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
That is not what the stern tube that contains your cutlass bearing should look like. You will need to remove your prop to replace the cutlass bearing, but at this point you can't even inspect the cutlass bearing because of all that stuff someone has added. Here is roughly what a proper system should look like. I would definitely find out why that brace has been added, and inspect the cutlass prior to closing
image.jpeg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a Beneteau and the shaft exit from the skeg hardly has room for a narrow shaft zinc let alone a rope cutter.
I'm wondering if somebody botched a cutlass bearing replacement and tried to do a rube goldberg repair. That whole shaft exit is just not right.
It almost looks like the original prop shaft was replaced with one that was longer. The actual cutlass bearing sits mostly inside the skeg and is secured by a couple of external set screws. There should be no need for that device that looks like an external clamp. That is certainly not an orifinal factory installation.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I have a question about Beneteau's cutlass bearings. That assembly on my shaft was indeed a line cutter that had a custom coupling mounted over the housing for the Cutlass Bearing. I removed it for cleaning and am not going to re-install it but the Cutlass Bearing is very dry and the prop shaft is tight making it hard to turn by hand.
How easy should the shaft turn through the cutlass bearing? What's it's construction? I know there is water flow from the stern tube and I assume it's pretty dry from sitting on the hard over the winter. I just don't want to launch only to be hauled to replace it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
When the trans is in neutral the prop should turn easily.